Sudden poor gas mileage without performance loss??? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Sudden poor gas mileage without performance loss???

Lately I've noticed that my gas mileage has decreased significantly. Normally, no matter how hard you flog her, you can get ~100 miles before the gas light pops on. Which is what everybody else states as well.

Recently, on my trips to Daytona and just normal driving, seems like the most I can squeeze out a tank of gas is 90ish miles. Today, my light came on at 85 miles. 85-90 miles before a light comes on, that's like a 10-15% loss on my gas mileage.

So what would cause this? My performance is up to par according to my recent dyno runs and 1/4 mile dyno runs, I'm just eating gas more than usual. Any ideas?

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I know it's an obvious suggestion Nate but have you got a leak somewhere in the system?

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 02:05 PM

Do you have a fuel leak? My only indication of a leak was poor fuel economy. Turned out one of the o-rings in the fuel pipe quick-connects had perished a bit and it was leaking. It was not notiecable while standing still but must have been fairly gushing at speed and evaporating.

Si
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
Lately I've noticed that my gas mileage has decreased significantly..... So what would cause this? .... Any ideas?
I'm no expert but differing gas formulation is also a possibility. Even though Florida virtually has no winter different gas companies have different "winter" formulations that can hurt fuel economy. Most increase their "oxygenation" and increase ethonol which hurt mileage - especially in warmer weather.

Tom
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
I've looked and haven't found anything. Which rings should I check first?

I have however noticed, that when I top it off, and the bike sits for a minute or two, it somewhat floods my engine.

It's hard to start, and runs really lumpy and crappy for a awhile. Like 30 seconds to a minute and I have to keep the RPMs up for a little till it "burns it off".

It only happens when I top her off, not at every gas stop, so I can only get like 4.5 gallons if it's bone dry. If I top her off at 5, it overflows out the overflow if it sits for a second. I've noticed that there will be a puddle of fuel under my bike coming out the overflow hose and I'll lose like a quart of gas. But it's wierd, cause if I top her off, and just go without sitting for a second, no such issues. Well, I dunno if she still overflows, but the crappy running for 30 seconds to a minute doesn't happen...

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Established Member

"Tpadden's" post is exactly correct.

The fuel blends for "winter" use are the culprit. Feds like to call it "oxygenated fuel" with a myriad of additives. More oxygen molecules per unit of liquid fuel equals less combustion capability thus requiring more fuel to attain acceptable volumetric efficiency and power output. You may not have noticed, but your car is suffering the same problem. A ten percent drop is normal.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 04:19 PM

Has the ambient air temperture changed recently? Vehicles tend to get poorer mileage in cold weather.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
Has the ambient air temperture changed recently? Vehicles tend to get poorer mileage in cold weather.
Cold weather in Florida - Al Gore begs to differ!!!!

Folks down here bundle up and break out the sled dogs when it drops into the 60's (15.5+ C).

Tom
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden
Cold weather in Florida - Al Gore begs to differ!!!!

Folks down here bundle up and break out the sled dogs when it drops into the 60's (15.5+ C).

Tom
Hey, Florida is a big place. I have been camping in florida when it dropped into the the high 40's, thats enough to have a negative effect on gas milage.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
Hey, Florida is a big place. I have been camping in florida when it dropped into the the high 40's, thats enough to have a negative effect on gas milage.
Yep - and I've seen snow in Pensacola. That's why they call me a snowbird !

Tom
Weeki Wachee Fl.
Gainesville, Mo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode