Opinions on suede/alcantararawhatever seats? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Opinions on suede/alcantararawhatever seats?

I'm thinking about replacing my F4 seat covers with suede or similar. What are they like when wet? Does it pass water through into the sponge beneath and take an eon to dry? Do they fade badly? I've seen some that look brown. Is that sunlight damage? Is the fake suede better at maintaining its colour?

Thanks,

Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:58 PM

Alcantara is a under emormous pressure compacted fabric. Which is usually initially about a half inch thick. After the process it is only about a millimeter thick. The Advantage of this fabric is, aside the suede look, that water or any other fluid can't find a way into the fabric. Mean's what ever you poor on it can be easily wiped off. I have several pieces of furniture with Alcantara. I can asure that Coke, Grease, Wine, Blood ... was never an issue. Just wipe it off. My Sofa, Lignet Roset "Togo", Alcantara, is already 15 Years old,it didn't faded at all and looks still as new. Go for it buddy.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 PM

the seat is hard but good when you are really going at it. If you have an R the pillon will have a weird coating to color it. it is under recall. I told my dealer and he gave me one to stow away so when mine fades I can keep my spare if I decide to sell the bike. I like the covering cause it is just the right texture so it never grabbs you if you are crawling around the bike during cornering. Its hard though.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
How are they for the everyday user? I.E. will it do like suede does, and get bald from rubbing/everyday use? I've contemplated on this MANY times, but the idea of a baller priced seat getting bald kinda sucks, lol.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 04:09 AM

My Alcantara seat gets wet and holds the water, I even "scotch guarded" it from new, this is my 3rd Alcantara seat and they have all soaked water up, and eventually you do wear the pile down, but that does take some miles, a better option for someone who doesn't do wet days I would imagine.

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Mike, is it just the covering fabric that holds water, or is it the sponge padding underneath?

Si
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:16 AM

New Site Garage
Here's my 2/100ths...

The fabric seems quite durable, splashes of water don't seem to soak in, I've never submerged mine, however...

One thing I have noticed, when I ride in my riding jeans (Icon, reinforced denim), my butt is LOCKED into the seat, which isn't the greatest when the pace picks up and I want to start moving around a bit. In leathers, though, it is a pretty amazing balance of being able to slide around and change positions, without feeling slippery...Good stuff!

I guess that is just one more reason to wear leathers more often than riding jeans...

Good luck!

Griff
twoeleven
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:17 AM

i love them...recently purchased the the alcantara, I washed the bike the other day and the water did not soak the seat as I had expected. It brings an entirely different look that you will certianly be pleased with.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 PM

I just had mine done not too long ago, so far so good. Its not too bad at fast pace rides, I would say try it, if you dont like it, change it back to OEM. One thing for sure, it looks damn good.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Established Member

New Seat!

Just got my seat back from being re-upholstered! Went with the F4 CC Look! Looks great will upload pics seat off and with it mounted in a bit!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode