low rpm metering - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
low rpm metering

i've got about 300 miles on the mv now, and have noticed that the low rpm fuel metering sucks! below 4k rpm, there's a lot of hesitation, and stumbling. it's a real pita for street riding. pulling away from a stop, i'm never sure if the bike is going to stall, or if i'm going to loft the front wheel because i've got the engine wound way up.

i know for the track, this is a total no-issue, but for riding around on the street, it'd be kinda nice if a $22k bike could show some smooth throttle response.

and i know it's not just my bike. i just read the review by cycle news (big liter bike comparo) and they mentioned it as well. as a matter of fact, it's one of the reasons the mv finished dead last in the street ride evaluation.

has anyone been able to fix this?
i've got a power commander. would installing it and doing some dyno tuning at the low rpm range help?

anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Established Member

Im not an MV expert, but low rpm and just off closed throttle studder is a real problem for most Itallian bikes equipped with EFI.

Some things to try....sometimes running a slightly high idel speed can help. And really fresh gas in the tank helps too..

Part of the problem is these bikes/engines are really designed for high performance...

You should have the dealer check the bike and see if there are any ecu/efi mapping updates to do to the bike. You should find that as the bike gets run in/broken in, and it lossens up a bit that it will run better....

Also, did you change the intake and/or exhaust???...if so you may need it remapped to suit.

The valves should be checked at 600m/1000KM.....too

good luck

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:11 PM

Throttle body balance and CO at 4.5%. Maybe CR9EIX.

I have played a lot, talked to a lot of people and ridden a lot. All of our early abrupt throttle, idle speed, stalling and uneven acceleration are easily manipulated via the above. There were some eprom mapping issues at points but a good solid base setup is the key.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

do other magneti marelli equiped bikes have this kind of behavior? after reading about this in cycle news, i'm pretty sure it's not just MY bike. i will check on the EFI update.

i really don't think that it's a design compromise. it really feels like the FI system is confused. one thing that kinda sucks about the magneti marelli IAW16 is that it's an open-loop design - no sensor in the exhaust pipe for feedback control. however, i've had other FI bikes with open loop systems and they didn't show this kind of low rpm hesitation.

maybe it's time to think about getting this:
http://www.technoresearch.com/

it'll let me get into all the sensor data. of course, this will require a dyno to do...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 PM

I have a power commander and I took it to gp (my dealer) to tune the idle and PC and its very smooth and predictable. I notice a difference when i switch with my buddies MV without the PC.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

^^ cool!
gp motors in san diego did the tunning?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon

has anyone been able to fix this?
i've got a power commander. would installing it and doing some dyno tuning at the low rpm range help?

anyone have any thoughts on this?
Yes, follow the advice given by James.
Get TPS set also.As James said, a good solid base set up is the key. Then do the dyno work and PC.
Its worked for me since Mar 2000.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:36 AM

Use at least 98 octane fuel and fresh fuel at all times helps big time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode