Mondial Piega 1000... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Mondial Piega 1000...

I may have the opertunity to pick up a brand new Mondial Piega 1000 bike....as some of you may well know, this is an Itallian exotic using a Honda RC51/SP1 V2 1000cc engine....not many of these were built. They are/were hand made, and similar to the Bimota(s), put a Japan made engine (in this case a V twin Honda mill) in a top quality Itallian made rolling chassis.

Does anyone out there have one, seen one, or ridden on in person???...I have only seen photos and read articles on them. I have talked to one guy who owned one. Im currently trying to get some more feedback and information on this bike. Im looking at adding it to my very small collection of Itallian exotics.....

thanks for any assist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:16 AM

Wow, I'd do it if the price worked for me.

Stunning bike I recall from the articles.

No "practical" help for you though. Other than that engine is very durable, and capable of lots of power.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Smile

Never seen one in the flesh, but if the price is OK I think that would certainly be a collectable/rideable machine that should hold it's value very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:49 AM

Nope never rode it or even seen it in person, but i saw some "good" deals on those and if i had more $$$ to spend on more bikes i would have bought one.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:57 AM

I was watching one that sold on e-bay a couple weeks back. I just deleted it from my watch list and now don't see in on a completed items search. I don't recall what it went for. It was used.

I was a big fan of the RC51 so the Mondial was definitely one of my favorite bikes. If it had a single-side swing arm, it would be perfect.

The engine might be durable, but it's expensive to make good power. Promisses of HRC kit parts availability never panned out or were expensive and hard to get. That might not be a big deal if you're looking for a collector and not planning on modifying. The RC51 was built to compete against the 750s. I like the big twin, it's fun, but it's not competitive in that you can get a better less-expensive less heavy package and more power in an inline 750 or 1K.

If it's what turns your crank, I'd say go for it. It is a cool bike. I'm not sure it will appreciate or even hold its value. But it definitely would be fun and unique.

Can you tell us the price?

Jack
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:05 AM

The bike has a trellis frame. the swingarm was trellis as well and then covered with carbon fiber if I remember correctly or they stayed with that design. There were a couple different versions of the rear under-tail exhaust that were made. It used the stock RC51 instrument pod but the front suspension looked to be superbike Ohlins forks, I don't recall the brakes. I assume you've found some info on the Web.

I always thought it was a nice culmination of a lot of the components I like and nice that it had a HONDA motor.

Jack
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Established Member

Just buy it. it's not something that will ever be considered a serious riders weapon...but as rolling art it is exceptional. Add it too the collection, park it in the living room, ride it to the shop on nice saturdays...enjoy it for what it is. I seem to recall a story about the RC51 motor making it into the Mondial as a matter of professional courtesy between Honda and Mondial...something to do with favors granted to Honda when they were a fledgling company? Anybody recall this or am I halucinating again?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMF
I seem to recall a story about the RC51 motor making it into the Mondial as a matter of professional courtesy between Honda and Mondial...something to do with favors granted to Honda when they were a fledgling company? Anybody recall this or am I halucinating again?
Yep, that is correct, I remember that distinctly.

I'll leave further discussion of the mod potential of the engine alone in this thread...I am sure your plan doesn't include a 150RWHP twin anyways.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Established Member

Cool, I thought it was that whole "parallel reality" thing rearing it's ugly head again......

I think the bike kept completely stock would be the coolest, unless you could actually get your hands on Offical HRC parts for it.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yes...keep it totally stock. I think it would look good next to my New and totally stock Bimota SB8RS, and Benelli Tornado TRE LE....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode