Almost Crashed - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Not very lucky..

Almost Crashed

Well, I was coming home the other day and was enjoying the dry weather. I was coming up to an intersection as the road was slightly sweeping left. For those who know San Jose, I was going east on Trade Zone about to cross Capitol Ave. I was about 30 feet from entering the intersection when I noticed that all the vehicles on the other side of the intersection were stopped due to traffic. I was in the right lane and the left lane was full of cars so I couldn't see past the intersection until I was almost crossing it.
Speed limit is 35 mph and I was going about 40 mph. I applied the brakes a little harder than usual and the rear started skidding to the left. In the middle of the intersection are tracks and when I got to that part the bike really went sideways.
There I am staring at the rear of a truck and about to hit it. I kept the brakes applied and with my legs and ass straightened the bike, dropped the clutch since it had stalled, it turned on and I swerved to the right and missed the cars.
My dirtbike riding days saved my ass because if I had let go of the brakes in mid slide I probably would have high-sided when the tires grabbed again. Feeling the bike slide on the road was weird, but similiar enough to dirt that I knew what to do.
Just wanted to share my close call because learning from others is better than going through it yourself. Since everyone here is a world class rider that knows what to do in all situations, just take this as a friendly reminder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 PM

Geez...you sure got a guardian angel watching after you.

Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
thanks for the thread....
we all appreciate the reminder

i'm VERY thankful that your instincts brought your through this "event"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 PM

Nice save and lesson learnt...if I can't see eexactly whats going on I'm going well under the speed limit.

Last edited by Rockethouse; 02-23-2007 at 10:05 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Glad you saved yourself from what could have been...many different ways of getting hurt!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:51 AM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
glad to hear that you are okay... lesson learned the easy way for all of us.

thanks for sharing and be safe!

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 AM

Dirt bikers use the rear brake alot, what if you just used the front in this situation...do you think it might have been different?

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 AM

Glad you're ok. My girlfriend and parents live in that area, so I know it well. That intersection can get pretty busy depending on what time of day it is.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Not very lucky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfuel
Dirt bikers use the rear brake alot, what if you just used the front in this situation...do you think it might have been different?
I would have to say yes
more than likely the rear wouldn't have come around
I would like to say I applied the front and rear equally, but maybe I applied the rear more than the front enough to create the slide.
maybe I over-corrected when I went to straighten out the bike to brake initially and actually leaned to my right, used too much rear brake and that created the slide?
Well, at this point who knows, but I'm glad I was able to react properly and not get hurt...........
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 PM

Great to hear you're okay. I was just down in Santa Clara the other day and traffic on the 880 was insane. Anyway, I made it through to pickup my newly acquired MV SPR. Nice riding...

Nic

Nic-of-Time

1996 Ducati 900SS (crashed
)
1998 Ducati 916 (sold)
2000 MV Agusta F4 (sold)
2004 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2006 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track Victim)
2008 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track/Street)
2004 MV Agusta SPR #78

2013 MV Agusta F3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode