Need a Good shipping company: San Francisco to Singapore - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Need a Good shipping company: San Francisco to Singapore

I plan to move from San Francisco to Singapore in about 6 months. Any recommendations for good shipping companies? This is for my MV Agusta Brutale.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 PM

Ouch...can't imagine how much that would cost. If your employer isn't paying for it why not just sell you bike and buy a brand new one over there?

Bike History:
'88 Ninja 250 > '92 GSXR-600 > '01 YZF-R1 > '06 Brutale + '07 Customized VTX-1300
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Maybe this link could help you:

http://international.shipping-to.com

Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

I need a job too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbcomputers
Ouch...can't imagine how much that would cost. If your employer isn't paying for it why not just sell you bike and buy a brand new one over there?
I love my current bike. Apparently in Singapore, the only Ducati/MV dealer is mervina or something. I refused to be held hostage by the only game in town. Plus I think it might be $500USD which isn't too bad

Additionally, I haven't got a job lined up! I hear the biotech sector is growing there though, hopefully they've got something for me.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:44 AM

$500? I really doubt that. When I was looking to purchase a new Brutale I got quotes higher than that just for domestic shipping.

Bike History:
'88 Ninja 250 > '92 GSXR-600 > '01 YZF-R1 > '06 Brutale + '07 Customized VTX-1300
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:53 AM

Selling a bike can be very stressful (How early to sell? Need to keep the bike for riding but can't leave it too late! Am I getting market value? Is someone going to drop it while test riding it? Is the bike going to a good home? etc). And then there's buying the new bike - new, you're wasting money on the dealers again, second-hand and you don't know how well the bike has been treated.

I agree better to spend a bit and not have the selling/buying pressure on you.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:56 AM

Just some advice if You do so. The Shipping Agency You have to find byself.
A) The easiest is of Course Airfreight. Bring Your Bike the Cargo Terminal and pick it up at a Cargo Terminal. It will be done in a few Days, the US Customs keep Your Bike for a few Days to make sure it isn't stolen. I would say it would cost You roughly 3000 USD, Round Trip or No Return is about the same Price.
B) Sea Freight. Don't let them pick up Your Bike at home bring byself to the Port. Take a Container to share with other parties, rather than using a 40 Foot Container for Your own. Tight and store the Bike byself in this Container. Sharing a Container, means sharing all other Costs either. Container Rent, Handling, Sea Freight. Than You could come out with might even less than 400 USD. But it will take at least 4 to 6 Weeks.
C) Check about Customs Regulations:
-This is very very important. If you bring it temporary to Singapore (if this is even an option at all) You need to have a Canet du Permis. Which proofes that You will bring it out of the Country again. And here I'm not sure with Singapore, they have really though Regulations.
- For bringing the Bike permanently or at least longer than a Year I will not make You much hopes. Singapore has one of the highest Vehicel Taxation Program in the World. The Tax would be roughly as much as the Bike costs. Those for Import Tax, Road Tax etc.
Anyway the Embassy of Singapore could help You. A fair Shipping agent would tell You the same, but in general the have just to ship to the Destination, Custom Clearance and Reliability is on Your own.

I hope this helps You finding the right Decission. Tell us what Your decission would be. I bet You will sell Your Brutale and You will not have a Brutale in Singapore either. But good Luck.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 AM

New 910 costs about US$24k in Singapore. Dealer is no longer Minerva, it's Sporting Motorcycles. Stay in touch and good luck with things. Singapore is small but there's always room for one more brute.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Oh jesus 24k?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearpixel
New 910 costs about US$24k in Singapore. Dealer is no longer Minerva, it's Sporting Motorcycles. Stay in touch and good luck with things. Singapore is small but there's always room for one more brute.
Thanks for the info.

I got my 05 MV 750 used for $9k USD so 24k for a 910 sounds a bit much. The MV came with Arrow exhuast, midpipe. CF key guard, CF air intakes, aftermarket suede seats etc. I intend on shipping it to Singapore and maybe registering it. I believe the tax on it is much less than for importing an auto.

After being spoiled by the California twities, riding the Singapore city streets doesn't have that much appeal. If it costs too much to have it registered, I will just leave it at home as an expensive paper weight. I might putt around the parking lot once in a while.

Registering as a street bike is a secondary consideration, I bought this bike as a 'trophy' more than anything else. $400 USD for sea freight sounds like a reasonable price. I've got a baxley sport chock and tie downs already. Just need to get a good crate/pallet.

I was actually thinking of bringing the motorcycle over on a truck to Sepang or Pasir Gudang track once in a while to enjoy it on the track. Yes, the logistics of it is a nightmare, but I could start a 'motorcycle' company and that's my 'race' bike to get by the import/export issues into Malaysia and back into Singapore.

I know the guys in Bike Lab (a Traxxion Dyanmics shop) does races in Sepang, probabley will speak to them.

Thank you again.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 AM

The Singapore Land Transport Authority has a website www.onemotoring.com.sg. You've probably have checked it already, but who knows what info they've got on registering a vehicle. May be useful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode