The MV Agusta F5 (some thoughts) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
The MV Agusta F5 (some thoughts)

Well, looking at all the great achievements from MV Agusta lately, and having read somewhere (can't remember where) that Massimo Tamburini is already at work on the next Superbike from MV, I started thinking… what should MV Agusta's next liter bike be?

As far as design goes, I think that Mr. Tamburini will develop another masterpiece without a doubt. Regarding the engine, MV should drop the inline 4 in favor of a V engine. Aprilia will be changing its V-Twin to a V4, and even Ducati has its own version of the V engine in its limited edition L4 Desmosedici RR. MV should even go the extra mile and make a V5 engine similar to the one in the RC211V and race it at the WSBK; while at the same time further developing the engine so that it can later be raced in Moto GP (as an 800cc of course).

What do you guys think about an F5-V5?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 01:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Hi Fireblade84, I read in a publication rumour of a V6 that would be used in GP if they go that way. This could be interesting?

MVA Sydney
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade84
Regarding the engine, MV should drop the inline 4 in favor of a V engine.
MV Agusta is all about highly tuned, screaming in-line engines.... see no reason to change that...look at their glorious history
Just like the Desmo V-Twin from Ducati, I see MV Agusta further developing their Radial Valve in-line 4 over time.

For a little company to throw away all that investment on their IL-4 engine development so far, and start working on a new configuration is just suicide...

V6 sounds interesting though
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:53 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The radial valved MV inline 4 is a lovely engine in all of its guises.

I doubt MV has any MotoGP aspirations either. They don't have anywhere near the required budget to be competitive, and why bother being also-rans?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVASyd
Hi Fireblade84, I read in a publication rumour of a V6 that would be used in GP if they go that way. This could be interesting?
AFAIK it's all fake! Rumours seems to be originated by an old cover of an Italian magazine where someone tried to imagine (dream should be more adequate) some possible developement in near future for engines with more than 4 cylinders. Obviously Honda V5 was the 1st to bet on (but I don't see any honda V5 around ) and the hypothesis of MV-6 was mainly due to the wildest dreams of a reporter and nothing else. I don't think that MotoGP could be a realistic option for MV, the budget for engine and frame develpement and at least 2 MotoGP seasons can compare to the whole company assets. Even Ducati who's the smallest constructor in MotoGP (seriously... Ilmor is a joke and KR a mere Honda extension) compared to MV is currently a giant,
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 AM

I don't know if it's a re-post but what do you think about this design for the future F5.

http://topicstock.pantip.com/ratchad...3180888-47.jpg

Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM

I think they'll keep the current engine and maybe use the engine on the F4CC. They seem to be getting respectible power from the engine in the current R and 312 models so why incur the cost at this time?

On a side note and pardon my ignorance, is there any real difference between a inline for and the V-4 (like the one Aprilia is coming out with)? I imagine if the future, that may be another option for MV.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs

On a side note and pardon my ignorance, is there any real difference between a inline for and the V-4 (like the one Aprilia is coming out with)? I imagine if the future, that may be another option for MV.
Virtually ever competitor in MotoGP has gone to the V-4 configuration, so there is an advantage. Not so much in absolute power output (the number of cylinders are the same, bore/stroke ratios are generally the same and valve-to-bore areas are the same) but the V-4 is more compact and has less frontal area than an I-4. Less to push through the wind and aerodynamics at GP speeds are considerable. More compact motor means more flexibility in placing the engine in the frame for best traction... Narrower crank and shorter camshafts may give a bit less flex, more precise valve timing and a bit more HP... More compact motor means centralization of mass for better handling...

The power of a four with a package scarcely wider than a twin... Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of these on the streets in the future

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee
Virtually ever competitor in MotoGP has gone to the V-4 configuration, so there is an advantage. Not so much in absolute power output (the number of cylinders are the same, bore/stroke ratios are generally the same and valve-to-bore areas are the same) but the V-4 is more compact and has less frontal area than an I-4. Less to push through the wind and aerodynamics at GP speeds are considerable. More compact motor means more flexibility in placing the engine in the frame for best traction... Narrower crank and shorter camshafts may give a bit less flex, more precise valve timing and a bit more HP... More compact motor means centralization of mass for better handling...

The power of a four with a package scarcely wider than a twin... Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of these on the streets in the future
+1........great explanation

Joe

2005 MV Agusta F4-1000 S
1998 Suzuki TL1000R sold
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100 sold
1987 Yamaha FZR 600 sold
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdp
+1........great explanation
Yes, thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode