Future owner seeks advice - MVAgusta.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Future owner seeks advice

Hello to you all,

I am from Portugal, am 25 years old, finished law school and decided to get something special. Something I always dreamed about even when I was not thinking of it. Yes, I want a MV Agusta F4.
Over the years I tried (being "pushed" by family and friends to do so) to convince myself that I was more into cars than into bikes.
Well I also love cars (and everything with an engine really), but now I realized that it is time to have a bike. And that is the same as saying that I need an MV agusta. You will never feel the freedom you feel on a bike with a car, nor the rush, the amazing mobility, the roaring sound or, above all, the simplicity.

So, why an MV? Well it seems obvious but I can't have enough of saying the "why":

It represents something like the perfect harmony between classic, historical bikes and state of the art technology. I can't really define what it is but I'm sure pretty much all MV owners feel the same.

It's timeless

It's italian, it's fast, it's beautiful. And it's special.

Beside expressing my passion for this bike, the reason I'm here is this: I have been reading this forum for some time now so I can learn more about the F4, know about the common problems, owners impressions etc... I do want, when the time comes, to make a wise buy, and not to get one of those who seems cursed, just because I where too impulsive.
So, I need your advise.
I will probably end getting an F4 1000S or a 1000R, of year 2005 or 2006: for me it is the most desirable, because of the design and because of the lack of traction controls, fly-by-wire connections etc...
I like it simple.
It is easy to find one with very few km's as none of the bikes for sale have more than 20000 km's. Most of them have a max. of 8000 km on the clock, so that is not a problem.
What I fear is to buy a bike that suffers one of those recurrent problems, like a cracked radiator, and I would really like to avoid that.
So my plan is to check for oil leaks and coolant leaks before I test drive it, then when driving it let it get somewhat hot (going slowly), then drive faster to see if it cools down and then, in the end, check again for leaks. Will this be sufficient to exclude rad problems/other leakings? What else do you advise to inspect? (rear wheel hub?)

I am more inclined to the 1000R because of the HP, but the 1000S has the most beautiful rims. Do you have any advise on that? Is one more prone to any trouble than the other?

I am not buying my first MV today, and not tomorrow either. I'm gonna be slow on this one, so I do it right and well informed. But I made my mind and will own one. Therefore I would really appreciate any help, information, any kind of guidance and advice on this.

Thank you very much for your time!

Last edited by Arnould; 10-20-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 04:57 AM

Hi and welcome Arnould,
Am I right in thinking this is your first ever motorcycle? If that is the case a 1000cc motorcycle is a big and scary starter machine.
jimboF4
post #3 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi Jimbo,
Yes, it is my first motorcycle. I won't argue saying that I drove this and that (wich I did). It's insane and I know it. But for me, that's part of the thrill.
I read and heard all possible arguments not to have this bike and I appreciate the advice as I know they are based mainly on safety. But there is things a man just has to do.
So, I would greatly appreciate any input on the above questions!
Thank you!

Last edited by Arnould; 10-20-2013 at 07:26 AM.
post #4 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 AM

Hi,
Most MV's tend to be well cared for, but as with any bike with a few years on it condition is king. Look for service records and bills/receipts for work done. If it has good service history it should be a reliable bike. There will be many who favour one model more than the other, the S as far as I know did not suffer from radiator cracks, that was mainly the 1000R (I know myself). But any R bike may well have had a modified radiator fitted under warranty, mine did.

As for which is better the S has better torque and Ieasier to ride on the road. The R has better brakes/forks and only makes more power when really run hard by which time you are really moving and a target for the police.

My advice is try to talk to some Portuguese or Spanish MV owners and you might get some knowledge of a good bike for sale that they know has been cared for. Don't rush and buy the first one you see, that is to easy to do. Take your time and good luck.

Either way do take it easy, these are phenomenal bikes.

jimboF4
post #5 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well what you just said about the 1000S might just be the argument I needed. After all any F4 is impressive, no matter what version and I don't think I need (I really don't) that extra power of the "R" version. Plus, the not prone to crack radiator, better torque and beautiful rims sound perfect to me.
As for servicing, there is a F4 1000S for sale with 5,000 km (3.107 miles) on it, at this point what kind of servicing should it have on the book?
I will take it easy, the more time I wait the better will be the buy.

Thank you for the good advice, have a nice day.
post #6 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 AM

Servicing is both mileage and time related, so at least evey year on a low milage bike. I don't know how good at basic mechanics you are and if you have a basic tool kit available.
The good news is the bikes are really easy and a pleasure to work on, with the manuals you need all available in the maintenance section here from donsy. The folks here know a great deal about these bikes and can help advise on nearly everything you need.
The bike has some well know faults and issues but any previous owner should be aware of these and taken steps to sort them. Items such as well nuts, the rear hub are just two. There is a wealth of information on this site and if you stuck just ask on here.
jimboF4
post #7 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I am aware of the manuals available, I already downloaded them and have been reading them (it's a nice read by the way). I always loved mechanics (all kind of two stroke and a BMW 2002) but, as I didn't do studies in that area, my knowledge is limited (self-learner). I understand the basics and have the greatest interest in learning more. Also, I learned from experience that, with the correct knowledge, you will always work better, with greater attention to details, than a third-party (and will save money, which is good too).
I can already see myself servicing my bike and keeping it in pristine condition: with the help of the forum's members of course.
And yes, I have tools.
When you say "well nuts" do you mean ALL the well nuts of the bike or any one in specific?
As to the rear wheel hub, is it obvious when in need of servicing? Does it get any play, does it do noise?
And... Should I look for any other "typical" problem?

Last edited by Arnould; 10-20-2013 at 09:20 AM.
post #8 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:29 AM

New Site Garage
Hhmmm, Arnould sounds like someone we've met before.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Hhmmm, Arnould sounds like someone we've met before.
Not sure what you mean, anyway thank you for the manuals, I hope they will become quite useful in the near future.
post #10 of 127 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Established Member

I find this thread puzzling. Very much so.
I know I risk getting a reputation as a sissy. Nevertheless, in the name of honesty I just have to say this.
An F4 is just about the last think to be given to a novice. By now most European countries have introduced laws forcing people to start and learn the basics with more forgiving machines. For a very good reason.
Driving schools don't use Ferraris or Lambos either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode