I don't understand the motorcycle press - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

I don't understand the motorcycle press

Don't you find it frustrating and confusing when you hear in the news and read in the press that studies show that 'certain things' are really good for you..., then the complete opposite gets reported and these 'good' things should be avoided at all costs??.

I posted a thread on a glowing report from MCN regarding the Brutale B800
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50164 and they declaired it to be ''MV's Best Brutale yet''
Here is something of what they said then.....
Attached Images

Last edited by BG Wells; 10-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

So I pick up the same publication (MCN) yesterday and here's their
'opinion' of the bike now....what has changed?....if they liked it before??
I just don't get it.
Brian
Attached Images

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Oh Brian, it will do your head in.

I will only read classic bike magazines when an MV is featured, allows me to keep my head straight for other important things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Established Member

Brian, I urge you NOT to watch the video that accompany that article, It will make your blood boil. I was angry as hell and left comments that I hope others will read as I have ridden 3 of the 4 bikes in the test.
Some of the comments in the video:
The bike is way way behind the other 3
Terrible to ride
Terrible handling
Awful to wheelie

When it come to biking journalism MCN are WAY WAY behind any other publication or online review site.

Kawasaki ER6N (2012)
BMW S1000r Sport (2014)
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Established Member

It's MCN advertising revenue equals higher ratings in tests. Throw in a smattering of jingoism and the Triumphs always Triumphs.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 AM

I am of the opinion that MCN is simply very biased in what ever test they undertake, and getting worse as the years go by.
They are driven by advertising budgets spent by the manufacturers in their paper and magazine empire, washed down with freebies and glitzy bike launches.
The truth is the B800 is a vastly better bike than the others in this test. My B800 runs very well, it was a bit too stiff suspension wise out the box but any rider armed with a bit of knowledge and a screwdriver can sort that. Mine now handles superbly for the road and gets ridden pretty damn hard.
As for being hard to wheelie.........................no its not, it is predictable, controllable and a hoot.
Oil leaks? Nope not a drop. A number of my friends have ridden my bike and every one of them loves the bike, they remark that the stories they have read are just so wrong, so it's not just me calling bull shit.
MCN are wrong, not for the first time, and this is the reason I stopped buying it. A free read in the newsagent is as far as it goes.
jimboF4
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Established Member

What makes there comments even worse is the fact that i actually rode the bike in their article so know exactly hows it ride. The bike is owned by MV is loaned out to dealers and the press, so you can imagine it's not in the best condition. It had 1600 miles on the clock and rode beautifully. Since then I know the battery has been replaced(it was a bit iffy) and the mapping has been updated to the latest one.

Truimph, Kawasaki and Yamaha are biking powerhouse's with huge spending budgets on media etc and dare MCN slate one of those like they did MVAgusta. I do wonder why MV bother loaning them a bike.

Kawasaki ER6N (2012)
BMW S1000r Sport (2014)
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 PM

New Site Garage
Like i've said before, I wouldn't wrap my chips in MCN, poorest excuse for a motorcycle publication I've ever laid eyes on and that Michael Neeves only knows two words, Triumph and Refined!

I've not read the article but I'll bet my mortgage
1. Triumph
2. Kawasaki
3. Yamaha
4. MV

Why the Kawasaki over the Yamaha? Because Kawasaki are usually more forthcoming with long term loners, as are Suzuki, in fact I'm surprised they didn't include one in the test, they may not make an 800 naked but then neither do Triumph.

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackers View Post
Like i've said before, I wouldn't wrap my chips in MCN, poorest excuse for a motorcycle publication I've ever laid eyes on and that Michael Neeves only knows two words, Triumph and Refined!

I've not read the article but I'll bet my mortgage
1. Triumph
2. Kawasaki
3. Yamaha
4. MV

Why the Kawasaki over the Yamaha? Because Kawasaki are usually more forthcoming with long term loners, as are Suzuki, in fact I'm surprised they didn't include one in the test, they may not make an 800 naked but then neither do Triumph.
..,How right you are Ackers...,your mortgage is safe!

I wouldn't mind.., but they really liked it in an earlier issue as illustrated.
So why is it so 'awful' now.., 'if' (in their opinion) it was really good before then surely it should be still really good?
The bike is the same so the only thing that appears to have 'changed' is their opinion of it?...,and that's what I just don't get. The inconsistency.
Brian.
Attached Images

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM

probably thought after the glowing report MV would buy a bunch of ad space, and when it didn't happen they took it all back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
So I pick up the same publication (MCN) yesterday and here's their
'opinion' of the bike now....what has changed?....if they liked it before??
I just don't get it.
Brian

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode