funny thing happened on the road to lithgow " groan " - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to dan warton
funny thing happened on the road to lithgow " groan "

Last monday having spent a cracker morning with an early ride from northern beaches to sofala turn off, Castlereagh highway, Ilford, via Bells line. had a lazy lunch at Capertee pub, admired what i have been riding all morning, havin a mental tug over her and proceeded to zap home on old reliable MV69.
cruising down the hill into Lidsdale past the Wallerwang turn off past the Lidsdale servo and up the hill to great western highway intersection. sitting on the speed limit when all of a sudden she dies in the arse no response from the twisty bit that makes her sound horny. glided to a stop kick the stand down and panic starts to creep up my spine like a bad case of sunburn. keeping calm in 36 degree heat in leathers & backpack was not easy with my mind racing as much as my tacho 5 minutes previous. brain goes into instant diagnostic mode. fuel: check, filled up at Lithgow on the way up 137 ks ago. fuses ok, fuel pump priming with ignition: check. plenty of spark, new battery last week: check. no vital fluids staining the state governments you beaut highway: check. lift ecu and feel if the magic chip has vibrated out: check. meanwhile traffic i had passed in the last 70 ks idle past and i swear everyone of them slowed and said a silent (that will teach you for bringing an exotic italian out in the sticks) everything seems in order, time to ring a friend, happens to be a ace mv mechanic thank god for Motorcycle Weaponry he puts me thru the loops and comes up empty handed. mmmmm what to do? strip the leathers to the waist helmut on wrist bakpack on dash and procede to chuck a u turn on 2 lanes of highway with 4 oclock knockoff traffic zooming past giving me the (check that exotic italian out look ) now i dont know how many ks it was back to the servo but when i wheeled her highness into the shade of the pumps i was hotter than next weeks tips at fleminton. stripped off and slipped into the coke fridge downed a zero and asked the till man if there was any chance the mechanics next door were around. nope all gone home. mmmm no where to leave the beast. go outside and sit sobbing into the dust when a courier truck pulls in and goes round the side . taking this as an act of god i limp around the back and presto before me was the Lidsdale courier service depot, talk to beaut bloke named darren and oks that i can store the beast overnite in the lockup that passes for the frieght depot. mind is getting back to some sort of civility. promise darren my first born and to be back asap tuesday with trailer. now as the sun is getting lower in the great western plains sky i realise that the traffic has trickled to an odd truck heading in the opposite direction that i want to go, so there i am thumb out hitching like they do in the movies bike boots leather pants jacket over the shoulder with the back pack and arai hanging limply from my sweaty palm. 40 mins later a vw van snakes past doing 60ks and decides at the last second i looked cool enough to give a lift to. now this is just what i needed except for the semi trailer that was following 3 meters behind at 100ks, if you ever happen to ride out this way in the near future check out the 100meter darkies left behind by the mack truck that has now got flat spots. a cool banana by the name of Pat was cruising from the Tamworth music festival and heading home to Katoomba. well better than Lidsdale so off we goes he drops me to Katoomba train station and i get the 730 train to Penrith where my better half meets me with that (i told you so look engraved on her face) i walk in the door at home at 1030 and procede to organise a day off plus trailer plus book the beast in for a"what the hell is wrong with it" service. to cut a long story short the fuel hose inside the tank that goes to the filter had blown off apparently with all the additives they now put in premium unleaded the hose got soft and the filter was a little blocked not to much but enough to add a little more pressure to the event needless to say i would like to thank the boys at Lidsdale courier depot, Pat the country & western star and those cool dudes at Motorcycle Weaponry Mona Vale for all their help. it has restored some faith in me that the world still has some decent people in it! moral of the story: change the clips that hold the hose to the filter and and check the filter amen.

MV69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 AM

New Site Garage
Sorry to hear your story.Welcome on board. Feel free to register your MV. Nice to have you here.

Kostas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Rough day, man. It will get better though, trust me.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 AM

Great story. Character building eh HAHAHAHA. That's what I tell myself in those situations, they are memorable at the least. They are there to make sure you feel alive

So it was the hose between filter and pump?
Attached Images

JamesC

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Hey Dan,
Yeup. I've had one of those days too
At least you'll know what to check the nest time you end up on the side of the road out in the weeds
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Dan, welcome to the forum, nice write up and good to see another aussie on board
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to dan warton
thanks peoples for the support , yes jamesc it was the clamp on the filter that let go, it is soothing to know there are like minded mv riders in the world, peace,love and mung beans man. safe riding, dan.

MV69
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 07:07 AM

are there stainless steel braided fuel lines that I can buy so this will not happen to me. I've just change my fuel filter and was looking for some SS braided fuel lines but it seems no one makes them in Aussie.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode