Tell your MV story - MVAgusta.net
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Tell your MV story

I wanted to start a thread which all the members could tell the story of how they were introduced to the MV brand and how they ever ended up buyin or owning there bike. I was actually thinking about my story and thought well this could be an interesting thread

So back in 2004 i owned my first ever motorcycle CBR 600RR. I like most people only ever knew about the jap bikes and ducati. So one night in 2005 there was a night ride where we would get maybe 50-60 bikes riding at night. That night is when i was introduced to MV Agusta. My friend pulls up on a SPR with its matt black paint single side swing arm and those awesome wheels abd all the carbon it was like looking at a lamborghini. Everbody was looking at this bike. So as we where riding my friend pulls up next too me as we were riding abd opens the throttle. The first time i heard the airbox open up and take in the air the sound it made made me envy him. Everything about the bike i just fell in love with i knew i had to have it.

So not long after i was doing a wheelie on my honda and as i came down i hit a pit hole and of course crashed my bike and rode it off. So that week i call up my friend and i tell him i want the SPR. Sell it too me. So he did. After buying my first MV the first week of back cranps and sore wrists was the initation of riding this beauty. The bike than sat in my garage for 4 years as i lived in dubai for that time and only ridden when i came back.

I can proudly say as a MV owner and im not just saying this cause i love the brand and passionate about it but i would never ride anything but a MV now. Everybike i have been on just doesbt feel the same. I rode a GSXR 1000 and thiught i was in a armchair lol.

Now i have started a collection which is slowly growing. A SPR and a CC is a goid start. Now im thinking a classic if i can find one or maybe a newer model.

So thats how moi was introduced to the brand. Would love to hear your story and hope this thread gets some goid attention.

Sam

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Maximum Velocity and cruiser like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
Dad was shopping for a bike now that all of the kids were out of the house. He was 52. Shopped around K bikes, etc. I go on a road trip to return to him buying an current model MV F4 750 (2002 at the time). I can see why he had the emotional response, its pretty. Unfortunately its not the right bike for a 50+ guy with an elbow injury. As a result he never rode it.

I wanted a toy and started shopping for a bike. Had dirt bikes but this would be my first street bike. I was looking at what you are supposed to look at, things like the SV650, etc. Joked with him that I would buy it for what was, at the time, the top end of what I had budgeted. He bit and sold it to me.

So two weeks later they were unloading a 10 year old bike with 352 miles on the clock from a trailer into my garage. I gave her a once over, put new tires on it and have done 10,000 since.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Great story for you... Your dad was less fortunate but at least he gets to admire it from your garage lol

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM

New Site Garage
Wissam, I don't remember. But I'm having a really nice glass of scotch right now and thinking about how much I like MV's. Does that count?

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Wissam, I don't remember. But I'm having a really nice glass of scotch right now and thinking about how much I like MV's. Does that count?
Lol. Of course it counts. Lets see if you remember after the second scotch. And if not lets see how good of a story the scotch can make lol

post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 07:45 PM

After working in the bike trade for 20+ years for a few different dealers and wholesalers, having the opportunity to ride many different bikes, and buying a number of used jap bikes over the years, I never thought I would be tempted to buy something brand new.

I remember seeing the first mock-ups of the F3 and drooling over it, then when the actual bike appeared in the magazines I showed it to my wife and told her if I was ever to buy a new bike this would be it. Her reply - "are we going shopping for a bike this weekend?". I was surprised to say the least, then thinking more about it, saw it for what it was - a bribe.

Suzy, my wife, had been making noises about moving house for some time, and knew I was quite happy where we were. Clever woman that she is, she picked the right target. I was on the phone to the dealer the next day for a price, and down there a few days later with a deposit, then a four month wait for my bike to arrive. We moved house about a month ago, so everybody is happy now, especially me.

We're all here, but we're not all there.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Established Member

I had only seen one here in Nebraska. An 07 F4 1000 in black and white. An acquaintance had it. Then that winter (december 2010), an ad pops up on C-list. 2002 MV F4 750 needs work $3500. I had more projects lined up already that winter, disassembling a barn, building a loft in my brothers garage etc. than I figured I could handle. So I ignored the ad......for about two weeks.......but it kept popping up in the back of my head. I finally sent the guy an email. It was still available. So I met him and took a look at it. It was dissasembled and spread out all over the floor of this guys two car garage on the Air Force base in Omaha. The story was he had bought it as his first bike (used with 14k miles on it) and proceeded to put 275 miles on it that first year of owning it. Then the next year he got it out in the spring and first ride picked up a nail in the rear tire. He took the wheel off and hauled it in to a shop, but they didn't have that size of tire in stock and it would take a week or so to get it in. So he ordered it. In the meantime he decided maybe he should do a valve check, so he took off all of the body work. Then he decided it would be easier to check the valves if the engine was out of the frame. In the process of working on it he managed to break an injector, and twist off a bolt on the water pump. Then he decided maybe he didn't know what he was doing with the valve check so he hauled the engine into the Omaha Ducati shop and had them fix the broken bolt and check the valves (they came back in spec ironically). So the give him back the engine and he gets as far as hanging in loosely back in the frame and then manages to blow a disk in his back. So the MV sits. Then his wife decides to divorce him, so the MV sits longer, then he decides he's going to get out of the service and the Air Force notifies him he's got to vacate base housing upon his departure. When I got ahold of him he had two weeks to get out and he was down to the point where he was gonna part the bike out on Ebay. I offered him 3k cash he agreed and we swept up all the pieces into piles and shoveled them into ziplock bags and loaded it all into my truck. It's got a ton of replacement carbon fiber and somebody went crazy chroming stuff. I spent that winter putting it back together. (I love jigsaw puzzles) Made a couple of orders through CAG for the injector and a few other bits. It all went back together surprisingly smoothly. And I really love it. I can sit around and stare at it for hours. Plus the sound track when riding it is just the loveliest sound anyone can hear. I finally decided that there was no point leaving it in the garage all winter and made a place for it in the house in the TV room so I can gaze at it during commercial breaks.

First photo is what it looked like when I got it home, all the body work is in the cab. Second photo is it in the house.

Toby

Current Rides:
2002 MV Agusta F4 750
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
2000 KTM Duke II 640
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
1966 Ducati Sebring 350
1965 Ducati Bronco 125
1958 MDS Super Dart
1964 Yamaha YTD1
1973 Suzuki TS125
1973 Honda CT90
1966 Honda CL77 (2 of these)
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star
1983 Husqvarna WR430
1949 Ariel VB 600cc Sidevalve
(Plus a whole herd of parts bikes)
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGOSTINI View Post
After working in the bike trade for 20+ years for a few different dealers and wholesalers, having the opportunity to ride many different bikes, and buying a number of used jap bikes over the years, I never thought I would be tempted to buy something brand new.

I remember seeing the first mock-ups of the F3 and drooling over it, then when the actual bike appeared in the magazines I showed it to my wife and told her if I was ever to buy a new bike this would be it. Her reply - "are we going shopping for a bike this weekend?". I was surprised to say the least, then thinking more about it, saw it for what it was - a bribe.

Suzy, my wife, had been making noises about moving house for some time, and knew I was quite happy where we were. Clever woman that she is, she picked the right target. I was on the phone to the dealer the next day for a price, and down there a few days later with a deposit, then a four month wait for my bike to arrive. We moved house about a month ago, so everybody is happy now, especially me.
You have one great wife. Now just have to wait until she hits you up on a big purchase lol. Im lucky to have a gf that loves bikes. She actually pushed me into buying the CC probably cause she will ride it lol

post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I had only seen one here in Nebraska. An 07 F4 1000 in black and white. An acquaintance had it. Then that winter (december 2010), an ad pops up on C-list. 2002 MV F4 750 needs work $3500. I had more projects lined up already that winter, disassembling a barn, building a loft in my brothers garage etc. than I figured I could handle. So I ignored the ad......for about two weeks.......but it kept popping up in the back of my head. I finally sent the guy an email. It was still available. So I met him and took a look at it. It was dissasembled and spread out all over the floor of this guys two car garage on the Air Force base in Omaha. The story was he had bought it as his first bike (used with 14k miles on it) and proceeded to put 275 miles on it that first year of owning it. Then the next year he got it out in the spring and first ride picked up a nail in the rear tire. He took the wheel off and hauled it in to a shop, but they didn't have that size of tire in stock and it would take a week or so to get it in. So he ordered it. In the meantime he decided maybe he should do a valve check, so he took off all of the body work. Then he decided it would be easier to check the valves if the engine was out of the frame. In the process of working on it he managed to break an injector, and twist off a bolt on the water pump. Then he decided maybe he didn't know what he was doing with the valve check so he hauled the engine into the Omaha Ducati shop and had them fix the broken bolt and check the valves (they came back in spec ironically). So the give him back the engine and he gets as far as hanging in loosely back in the frame and then manages to blow a disk in his back. So the MV sits. Then his wife decides to divorce him, so the MV sits longer, then he decides he's going to get out of the service and the Air Force notifies him he's got to vacate base housing upon his departure. When I got ahold of him he had two weeks to get out and he was down to the point where he was gonna part the bike out on Ebay. I offered him 3k cash he agreed and we swept up all the pieces into piles and shoveled them into ziplock bags and loaded it all into my truck. It's got a ton of replacement carbon fiber and somebody went crazy chroming stuff. I spent that winter putting it back together. (I love jigsaw puzzles) Made a couple of orders through CAG for the injector and a few other bits. It all went back together surprisingly smoothly. And I really love it. I can sit around and stare at it for hours. Plus the sound track when riding it is just the loveliest sound anyone can hear. I finally decided that there was no point leaving it in the garage all winter and made a place for it in the house in the TV room so I can gaze at it during commercial breaks.

First photo is what it looked like when I got it home, all the body work is in the cab. Second photo is it in the house.

Toby
Toby thats one great story and i must say all respect to you for bringing her back to her former glory. It looks the part in your home. Well done mate i guess with all the hard work you put in it gives you more satisfaction

post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Big Randaddy

Toby, I too, really enjoyed your story. Any pics of it going back together?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode