speedometer accuracy - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
speedometer accuracy

So, I have been following the "how fast have you gone..." thread, and of course the question about speedometer accuracy comes up.

As it would turn out, the local police (Irvine, CA) have set up a trailer in our neighborhood that has a radar gun and the "Your Speed Is:" sign on it. I've been checking my indicated speed vs that sign for the past week and the two are in complete agreement on my 05 1kS F4. I've tried at various speeds, from 20 up to 55mph, and it's always the same. Right on the money.

I've also check against some other radar signs in some faster zones, up to about 80mph, and again, same results.

I believe that on my particular 1kS, the speedometer is pretty much dead-nuts on.

For reference: I have stock gearing, on a 190/55 Michelin Pilot Power rear.

Curious to see if others have found the same thing.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:15 PM

i think were people start questioning the speedo integrity is on the upper north side of 100mph. in other words, the land speed record was at 182 or something on the R, but whatever that speed was i know people have posted seeing "indicated" speeds faster than that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

so, the error is non-linear?
really?

i'm not exactly sure how these things work, but my understanding is that it's a pulse counter driven by a hall-effect sensor which is mounted to a wheel on the output shaft of the transmission. is that not right?

what nonlinearity effects would come from such a system? other than say tire slippage and distortion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_one
i think were people start questioning the speedo integrity is on the upper north side of 100mph.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
i'm not exactly sure how these things work, but my understanding is that it's a pulse counter driven by a hall-effect sensor which is mounted to a wheel on the output shaft of the transmission. is that not right?

Yes that's it, 12 tooth??. You'll remove the toothed wheel when swapping countershaft sprockets. Sensor is mounted to the sprocket cover.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Established Member

my gsxr1000k5 speedo was a lot happier than my 1000r at 100 miles an hour my mv said 90 compared to the gsxr my ducati was the same so much for the honourable japs
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Sometimes I have to doubt the accurancy of those "Your speed is" machines. By the Rose Bowl, Pasadena PD set one up and at time it says your speed is 40mph when my car's speed is saying 25mph and based on a visual, there's no way I'm doing 40mph.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Allan - I have also wondered how often, if at all, those radar guns are calibrated. However, I have been checking against a couple of different ones, and doubt that they are both off by exactly the same amount of error.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 06:02 PM

I have an 04 brutale that shows about 15% slow, while on group rides others hit 100mph and I never show more than 80. Before someone asks, yes I am pacing with them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
my '07 910R.....
one of the most ACCURATE bike speedos i've seen

40 on bike = 38.8 (GPS-verified)
60 on bike = 58.2

120 on bike = 116.9 on the GPS

pretty darn good, i'd say

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 07:05 PM

Two point to make:

Radar gun accuracy is affected by the angle of approach. In other words, unless the radar beam is pointed perfectly head on, inaccuracy results. The more acute the angle, the higher the discrepancy (it will read slower than actual speed).

At high speeds the rear tire is running a constant slip. If the speedo is reading rear wheel RPM it will be inaccurate at high speed. The higher the speed, the greater the amount of slip due to wind resistance. Picture taking a snowplow and trying to push a huge lead block across a parking lot. Wind resistance is the lead block and your motorcycle is the snow plow. Years ago there were tests done at Daytona measuring front wheel speed VS rear wheel speed and the results were astounding. rear wheel was indicating more than 10mph difference (higher) than front wheel due to slippage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode