F4 or EVOIII - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

F4 or EVOIII

Why the bike has two names F4 and EVOIII. What does each means?
Sajan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Smile

The F4 is the generic name for the current sports MV. Ferrari for the F because they helped develop the motor and 4 for 4 cylinder. The original F4 models came out in late 97 early 98 and then MV modified the bikes and added the suffix Evo II (second Evolution) in 2002? If you check the various threads on this site the precise changes have been catalogued in detail but basically the Evo models have revised engine components to produce more power. Other items like the clutch were modified too. The Evo III version is in fact very similar to the Evo II with only detail changes. Some of the other members on this site with more tech. knowledge than I have will be able to give you a better insight. Hope this helps. I see you have a F41000. The Evo relates to the 750 models.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Last edited by john; 03-03-2006 at 12:24 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks John for the description and history on the designations (F4 and EVO III). I have a 06 F4 1000. So it is not a EVO III right?

Sajan
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Smile

Correct Sajan, with the exception of limited edition models like the SR and SPR. the Evo III was the last Evolution of the 750 F4, MV then concentrated on producing 1000cc versions of the F4 which is what you and I have. Sadly the 750 versions are no longer in production. If you use the search function at the top of the page and type in EVO, you will see earlier discussions on the subject.

Keep one wheel down!

Last edited by john; 03-03-2006 at 12:38 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to thecraw-r1f4 Send a message via Yahoo to thecraw-r1f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Correct Sajan, with the exception of limited edition models like the SR and SPR. the Evo III was the last Evolution of the 750 F4, MV then concentrated on producing 1000cc versions of the F4 which is what you and I have. Sadly the 750 versions are no longer in production. If you use the search function at the top of the page and type in EVO, you will see earlier discussions on the subject.
The 750 was a great bike no doubt, but Iam so much happier with the 1000..
I have a 04 R1 that I made race prepped when I bought my 750.. and I started missing the power of the 1000 on the street, the 750 just wasnt the same.. but then I got my F41000 and now Iam very content with my street ride :-)

My 750 was the EVOIII engine, it worked well and was reliable, but changing the oil was a pain with the headers having to be undone.. the 1000 THANK GOD fixed that issue!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Smile

I've not had my Thou long enough to make a reasoned comparison. I too had an Evo III and thought it was a great bike. I know the F4 750's have a large and loyal following here so I'm not going to get involved with which I think is better just yet.

Keep one wheel down!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:22 PM

Heh, the 750 vs 1000 debate will never end.

The SPR is my first 750 (having had 600's and literbikes previously) and I see why the debate will always rage.

The 750 really does have almost as much HP as a 1000, and is almost as flickable as a 600.

I think a small manufacturer like MV made the right move going to a 1000, but I love 750's all the same.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraw-r1f4
changing the oil was a pain with the headers having to be undone.. the 1000 THANK GOD fixed that issue!!
Eh??

JamesC

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to thecraw-r1f4 Send a message via Yahoo to thecraw-r1f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Heh, the 750 vs 1000 debate will never end.

The SPR is my first 750 (having had 600's and literbikes previously) and I see why the debate will always rage.

The 750 really does have almost as much HP as a 1000, and is almost as flickable as a 600.

I think a small manufacturer like MV made the right move going to a 1000, but I love 750's all the same.

Like I said I liked my 750, but honestly the 1000 is a fantastic machine, much more refined engine, feels so much smoother...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:04 PM

The 750cc motor is just a perfect compromise between weight and performance. I don't have a 750 MV to comment on but I have a 05 Suzuki 750 in the garage and prior to that a 636 ZX.
The 600 and the 750 just are mental in the twisty bits, but the 750 will blitz the 600 from corner to corner, and I suppose if you get in sooner...(simplistic point I know).

I look back at the 600 as a motor designed to build your cornering craft on, most of my riding mates at the time had 1000cc machines and if you wanted to stay remotley in sight, you had to be brave! Of course not a lot of skill in winding up a 1000 on pick up and then braking way too early again for next corner. Some think that is fast....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode