Insurance related questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Insurance related questions

Hi everyone,

Having notified my insurance company of some modifications made to my bike, which include:
- Metal fuel injectors
- Reinforced Mitchy hub :-)
- Legal after-market Arrow Thunder exhaust
- Crash bobbins

This hasn't changed my premium, great.

Now they asked me if the Arrow Thunder exhaust was adding more than 5% of power.
Of course I said "No" but in truth I have no clue.
So does it add power or is it just cosmetic?
I suppose losing weight adds power, but more than 5%?

Would carbon wheels add 5% more power to the bike?
Weight/power ratio?

I am just trying to lose weight to save petrol, be green friendly; why wouldn't insurances encourage this?

I could throw the DNA air filter and Microtec ECU while I am at it, in the same vain.
All in all, I am not interested in adding power to my bike as I feel it already has got more than I can handle, just having it looking good and running smooth.
Insurances might not see it this way though.

EDIT: According to the Arrow website arrow.it, as long as the db-killer (which is found on most Arrow street legal exhaust system) is fitted it will perform with a reduced power and noise level. I suppose this would keep it under the 5%, but the legal status still appears to differ from country to country.

Only a Biker knows why a dog
sticks his head out of a car window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xeorex; 08-29-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Established Member

No extra charge with the mods, that's really good.
I'm no expert but your exhaust is probably only go to add 4hp or so, maybe a little more if you add a DNA air filter. My question is, 5% increase from what? From the official MV figures? Pretty sure HP drops over time anyway so I can't see it being an issue.

When I insured my bike, the quote tripled when I told them of my mods. Mods like, crash bungs, braided hoses etc. Playing around with the quote it didn't matter if i had 1 mod or half a dozen the price increased the same.
To give you an example I pay (after a long search) £176 for a low powered 71hp ER6N with mods.
I just got a quote for a 158hp 1090RR worth more than twice as much with no mods for £222.
It's funny I just wish I was riding the 1090RR.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

DeadHead, did you get a lot of calls from "Pension Advisers" companies after your long search for your insurance?
Because I certainly did!!!
Oh, and "Insurance claim advisers" too, a few calls a day.
Never understood how it was legal to have to provide so much data to get an insurance, especially when that data is so obviously used to spam you.

You are better off putting everything as standards when you insure your bike.
Then when you found the cheapest, put back the parts you want and call your new insurance regarding your mods.
If they mess you up, just put it back to standards for the year and never go back to them again in the future. Or cancel the policy (with refund for the unused days) and try somebody else.

Or buy a few insurances online, the cheapest ones, call them about your mods, cancel all but the cheapest.
Some insurances can't care less about your mods. As far as they are concerned, you look after your bike.
Others are just a pain, they might as well change industry.

I still get charged £300 Third party only (over £2000 for comprehensive) + £35 for European breakdown cover, no NCB, 1 conviction (SP30), under 35, 2 claims on my insurance (twice in a car going at snail pace in traffic jam, arghh, bummer). Way too high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xeorex; 08-29-2013 at 12:51 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Hordursp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHead View Post
No extra charge with the mods, that's really good.
I'm no expert but your exhaust is probably only go to add 4hp or so, maybe a little more if you add a DNA air filter. My question is, 5% increase from what? From the official MV figures? Pretty sure HP drops over time anyway so I can't see it being an issue.

When I insured my bike, the quote tripled when I told them of my mods. Mods like, crash bungs, braided hoses etc. Playing around with the quote it didn't matter if i had 1 mod or half a dozen the price increased the same.
To give you an example I pay (after a long search) £176 for a low powered 71hp ER6N with mods.
I just got a quote for a 158hp 1090RR worth more than twice as much with no mods for £222.
It's funny I just wish I was riding the 1090RR.

222£ is that the insurance for the whole year?

Mv Agusta F4-1000-2005
Aprilia SXV550-2007
Suzuki rgv250m
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordursp View Post
222£ is that the insurance for the whole year?
You sound like you are paying £444...
£222 is really good though, for this power, for the UK.
Must be very clean history, ?0 years NCB, over ?0-ish or just under, and comparing the compare sites.
ASDA compare is where I found my best quote.

Last edited by xeorex; 08-29-2013 at 12:54 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Established Member

£222.35 to be exact and that was for the whole year including helmet/leather cover and personal accident cover FULL COMP. That was MCE through GoCompare.
The comparison site are rubbish when you have mods, most of them aren't interested but you really have to look hard and read the small print before you discover they won't take on board any modded bike.I ended up getting my er6n insurance through the kawasaki website!

There is an easy way around all the cold calls and it's what I now do when I use comparison website like Gocompare. I swap the numbers around on my phone number. Only when I have decided what company I want to insure with, I change the phone number on the final poilicy. I never get cold callers now

My history - you might laugh or possibly even cry

Got my full bike license June 2012 after completing a DA course.
So I have 1 years NCB and currently a clean license.
Have 25 years experience driving, but sold the car after just a few months of having the bike. Haven't missed it at all.

Last edited by DeadHead; 08-29-2013 at 02:35 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There is an easy way around all the cold calls and it's what I now do when I use comparison website like Gocompare. I swap the numbers around on my phone number. Only when I have decided what company I want to insure with, I change the phone number on the final poilicy. I never get cold callers now
Good tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
My history - you might laugh or possibly even cry

Got my full bike license June 2012 after completing a DA course.
So I have 1 years NCB and currently a clean license.
Have 25 years experience driving, but sold the car after just a few months of having the bike. Haven't missed it at all.
They do make you pay a lot more for being a tad younger.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM

Nowadays, more than three mods and they start to get funny ......

My insurance is £274 per year fully comp., for the MV and my TL1000. The only issue with the MV is they insisted it has a Thatcham cat. 3 alarm, and the excess for theft/damage by me is upped to £500. The TL has a £250 excess, but is harder to insure because it is a loooong way from stock (and about 20bhp up on a stock TL's 110-115bhp). The MV adds approx. £95-100 to the premium.

However, I am getting old (late 40's) live in a quiet westcountry neighbourhood, and the bikes live in a locked garage overnight, and both bikes have a 5k miles per year allowance/limit

To put that in perspective, I also have a 14yr old (lightly modified) diesel Landrover Discovery that costs me almost £400/yr to insure (fully comp), worth about £3k which I thought was a bit dear .....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode