Brutale faster (and slower) than I thought.... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Brutale faster (and slower) than I thought....

Went on a country ride today with a Busa, R6, R1, and GSXR1K. 160 miles round trip. The guys on the R1 and GSXR1K weren't as experianced as the guys on the Busa and R6. I was probably about the middle ground between those two.

Anyhow, on the twisties, my buddy on the R6 was intense. I was struggling to keep pace with him, and the Busa was behind me. We were going through some marked 45mph sweepers that I've only been on once or twice. Average pace of the ride was 90MPH because there were some LOOOOOOOOOONG sweepers and straights. It's Florida, so we have to make due with what we have, lol.

We get to the straights and it's obvious the Busa flies by. I mean FLIES BY. I'm pinned WOT on a 5+ mile straight going 135 and climbing and he passes me like I'm sitting still.... Then, whizzing past me comes my buddy on the R6....

I was indicated 135 and creeping, while my buddy on the Busa is just WAAAAAAYYYY gone, I'm talking not even visible anymore and I CAN'T BELIEVE an 01 R6 passed me like that. He said he was 161 indicated and it stuck there.....when we came to our middle of the way rest stop, my buddy on the Busa said he saw 185, and it just stuck there.

The damn Busa is so effin fast, I couldn't even stay in his draft from an 80MPH roll. Time and time again, I just watched him disappear into the horizon.

Good news is, I was so far ahead of the guys on the GSXR and R1 that they didn't catch me/us even on that super long straight. Granted they weren't as experianced as us 3, but those sweepers are fairly wide. What's funny though, is everybody was makin fun of me for having to get gas at the midway point...bastards and thier good gas mileage. So all in all, it was a nice ride....my butt hurts though....hard seat.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM

The Brute would do a whole lot better at high speed if it had fairings. Price you pay with a naked bike. Bring your bike out west and we'll find some twisties
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 01:21 PM

You have about the same HP as an R6 but like RobP stated, aerodynamics play a huge amount into top speed. I bet at much slower speeds, you might be able to pull the R6 for a bit.

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, when we were exiting turns, or coming to stops in the road to go left or right, out of the hole, I had most everybody. Even the Busa. Till he stopped feathering the throttle to stay planted and gave it gas, lol. I'm still bewildered at how damn fast that bike was. And the guy on it was a bigger guy too, so it was pretty amazing to just watch him just run, not walk, run away from me. It was amazing.

It was fun seeing how I stacked against the big boys. Granted the other two guys had less experiance riding (or weren't as ballsy), but they could still ride pretty damn dece. It was expecially fun cause I hadn't been on a aggro group ride in a long time. All the times my "regulars" would go out, they'de hit up some twisties and then stunt. All fine and dandy, but this Brute ain't up to that task. Carving the country side streets however...she was definitly happy to stretch her legs. Topped out a couple times, and although it was unnerving, it was nice to ride with some old friends I haven't seen in awhile go ripping through some country roads.

You know what it reminded me of? Those vids posted of the Senna and Tambo on here by some of the members. Only, there wasn't a Senna and Tambo, and the roads didn't change elevations, and weren't quite as twisty. They were however canopied by trees at times, which made me feel like I was in a commercial, lol. Damn it felt good to get on a GOOD twisty ride...

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 PM

From my experience at the track on a long straight the Brute 750s will leave all 600's inc 636, until 6th gear when things even out or advantage 600.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I had a go with my son in-laws 636, I was surprised how fast it was. We were back and forth between shifting gears; dead even when we had to shut off. I don't know how fast we were going but I believe we were in 4th or 5th gear. I'm fairly sure he would have started to pull away as we got into higher speeds due to aerodynamics. I have no problem with that because my Brutale 910 out classes everything I usually ride with and its uniqueness is a big reason why I own one.
I had a 2004 R-1 and saw 167 mph one time on a long straight and could have easily reached higher speed. Things are happening much too quick at those speeds and stopping or avoiding something unexpected is out of the question. Since I donít track race my bike top speed bragging rights are unimportant to me while handling and confidence are a much higher priority.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Established Member

Obviously the guy on the "Busa" was a good rider and knew how to handle his bike, it ain't the bike it's the rider.

Marc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
I had a similar experience on my Brutale. I mainly used it for flying through tight mountain roads, but on overnight long rides out in the country the fully faired bikes had an advantage, so I decided to ride on these long roads at a pace that suited the Naked bike.
In the end I brought an F4 1000 now no problems with speed if you know what I mean.
But seriously if you are doing those speeds on the road, you need to book some track sessions.
Oh and your Busa mate, they are the same down here, they just want to go as f...ing fast as they can. I wouldn't even attempt to keep up with those guys no matter how good you are. Those speeds would land you in jail down here for sure.
Get them in the twisties or at the track and it is a different story.

MVA Sydney
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm fairly responsible when it comes to picking when to go at it, especially at speeds like those, as they will land you in jail. Those are BLEAK country 2-lane blacktops, with farmland on both sides and UBER visibility. It was a nice country ride, with nothing around...

The guy on the Busa does do twisties and handled them damn well considering his size and the bike, but he was still damn fast. My buddy on teh R6 had my in both the straights and twisties, he's just that good...

I'm definitly not for one to weave in and out of traffic or anything around any kind of traffic, even if it is one car...

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode