Some feedback please. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Some feedback please.

Hey folks, a safe and happy new year to all my two wheelin brothers and sisters.

I looking for opinions on the MV product line. While I've done a fair ammount of reading up on the bikes from the tech and engineering end, the people riding them will give me the best real world feedback.

I'm a certified tech at a multi line dealer that is weighing the thought of bringing in MV Agusta. We currently carry BMW, and Triumph, and have built an extremely good rep with our customer base. We don't want to hurt that with a line that doesn't support the product as well as we're accustomed to.

So, how has dealer support been while you have had your MVA ? Are special order parts delivered within a fair ammount of time when needed ? Do you feel the basic warranty is adaquate ? Have you had any issues that you feel weren't taken care of properly by the factory.

I'm looking for anything, and everything you can give me.

Grazie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 02:43 PM

I think the service provided by the dealer depends on:

a) the quality of service provided by the MV distributor in that country
b) there are some MV specific tools - a dealer not having these is lazy and tight
c) all dealership staff needs respect for the brand, the bikes, and the customer (this may seem obvious but is rare!). I would much rather deal with an enthusiast that works in a shop, than a car yard salesperson.

Availability of spare parts is pretty good - again this will depend on the distributor - and warranty issues don't usually come up aside from small things, as the bikes are pretty reliable. I haven't noticed anyone here not having something replaced under warranty when it was required.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply rents.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:15 PM

I'd suggest calling some dealers past and present and getting their take--from the horses mouth...

Problems... well yes, there's always problems. I've seen some great things from MV, I think they have a great product. I've heard some bad things as well having been around for a few years. But since they didn't happen to me personally, I'll leave that for other people to discuss.

One recent thing worth discussion is 910R exhaust. That seemed to be a fiasco for some.

There are some members here from Florida. You should ask them in particular for the dealer experiences. I know one member, RSDuce, purchased his bike from my dealer, Corse Superbikes in Saukville Wisconsin rather than in Florida and paid to have it shipped.

Good luck. I think you'll find MV enthusiast similar to BMW and perhaps Triumph customers in that they appreciate a good product and good service and are usually more interested in building a good relationship with their dealer over saving a few dollars.

Jack
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 PM

Sightglass

Love the avatar, you dig the Dead?

I have worked in the industry a number of years myself, and appreciate your wanting to know how the MV line is handled. The thing is, its really a per dealer experince, its never going to be the same or standardized.

My local dealer has been great, but then again, they know me and my family from the business for over 15 years. I dont know for a fact that I get special treatment, but I wouldnt doubt it. Overall, Gold Coast Motorsports has a good reputation, but I am sure they have their fair share of horror stories as any other dealer does.

I personally havent had any part related problems, but then again, my bike has been trouble free. A good friend of mine's F4 was stuck in 6th gear, and he had to wait about 3 weeks for parts. Considering the source being in Italy, I dont think thats too bad.

If i was in your position, the first things I would be asking are these:

1.Is my dealership going to be infringing on anyone else's territory rights?
2.Do we have the space to take on another line?
3.Is the clientel for such an expensive, niche' motorcycle going to come to us instead of the other local MV dealer, if they exist?
4.How many units are we going to get a year?
5.Is it really going to be profitable to tool up (training for mechanics, sales, and parts deparments) for this model line? How many of these bike are we really going to sell?

Thats my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Eric
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightglass
Hey folks, a safe and happy new year to all my two wheelin brothers and sisters.

I looking for opinions on the MV product line. While I've done a fair ammount of reading up on the bikes from the tech and engineering end, the people riding them will give me the best real world feedback.

I'm a certified tech at a multi line dealer that is weighing the thought of bringing in MV Agusta. We currently carry BMW, and Triumph, and have built an extremely good rep with our customer base. We don't want to hurt that with a line that doesn't support the product as well as we're accustomed to.

So, how has dealer support been while you have had your MVA ? Are special order parts delivered within a fair ammount of time when needed ? Do you feel the basic warranty is adaquate ? Have you had any issues that you feel weren't taken care of properly by the factory.

I'm looking for anything, and everything you can give me.

Grazie
Last time I was in, (I brought a friends older k bike in for service as he doesnt have a truck) the owner (I think it was anyway) told me how I should buy a bmw.....parts are easier to get, more reliable and I told him he should sell MV's......hmmmmm, does this mean I get a discount when you start selling them? It was my idea

Let me know, I will bring the 910 Gladio and we can chat.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
Sightglass

Love the avatar, you dig the Dead?

I have worked in the industry a number of years myself, and appreciate your wanting to know how the MV line is handled. The thing is, its really a per dealer experince, its never going to be the same or standardized.

My local dealer has been great, but then again, they know me and my family from the business for over 15 years. I dont know for a fact that I get special treatment, but I wouldnt doubt it. Overall, Gold Coast Motorsports has a good reputation, but I am sure they have their fair share of horror stories as any other dealer does.

I personally havent had any part related problems, but then again, my bike has been trouble free. A good friend of mine's F4 was stuck in 6th gear, and he had to wait about 3 weeks for parts. Considering the source being in Italy, I dont think thats too bad.

If i was in your position, the first things I would be asking are these:

1.Is my dealership going to be infringing on anyone else's territory rights?
2.Do we have the space to take on another line?
3.Is the clientel for such an expensive, niche' motorcycle going to come to us instead of the other local MV dealer, if they exist?
4.How many units are we going to get a year?
5.Is it really going to be profitable to tool up (training for mechanics, sales, and parts deparments) for this model line? How many of these bike are we really going to sell?

Thats my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Eric
Hey Eric, got to do over 40 Dead shows before Jerry passed when I was young and dumb. I'm older now Most of them in the tri-state area. Born and raised in NY

Some good points made, and they hit some key concerns we have......... While I have no say in the matter, I like to research this stuff on my own. No infringment on another dealer, and we have the clientel that will go for this type of product. My bigges worry is how much it will cost to sit on bikes for extended periods of time, but that up to the people above me.

We have intended on expansion of our facility for some time now, so it may be a little tight at first, but in time we should have twice the show room and shop space we now have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsduce
Last time I was in, (I brought a friends older k bike in for service as he doesnt have a truck) the owner (I think it was anyway) told me how I should buy a bmw.....parts are easier to get, more reliable and I told him he should sell MV's......hmmmmm, does this mean I get a discount when you start selling them? It was my idea

Let me know, I will bring the 910 Gladio and we can chat.
OK, ya got me...... I even looked at your pics you have here, but I don't remember seeing you at our shop. We have a burger and dog BBQ every saturday, and everybody is welcome. I always spend my lunch hour chatting with the people who drop in on staurdays. Stop by..........

Pete
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Sightglass, why don't you make a call or shoot an e mail to the Australian Distributor who is based in the Gold Coast. He also handles Triumph and dropped a name Japanese brand to take on MV. He should be able to give you some great feedback.
Generally though our distributor wants to make MV THE Premium brand, whatever it takes. But at the end of the day you are dealing with an Italian factory which is obviously different to Triumph or BMW. Personally I love the whole Italian experience, warts and all.
I know some Triumph and BMW die hards who turn their nose up at anything Italian. Only makes the experience even better. So you should expand your customer base not steal from it.
Any way drop them a line it is Paul Feeney at Feeneys Motorcycles.

Good luck

MVA Sydney
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 12:12 AM

No problems of any kind so far - 2 years of ownership of my Brutale. So... no parts to order, wait for, etc.

I note from your postings on other boards you may be considering both MV and Ducati or if it's one brand you'll go with Ducati...

Don't know what it's like from a dealer's POV but from my POV (first Ducati in the 70's) I'd be terrified to sell Ducati. Too many issues to count and quality control can't compare to MV.

With the lower-pricing on the 1098, Ducati may allow you to sell more bikes but that may just bring a lot more headaches. Cheaper prices mean they'll be selling to kids who couldn't afford them before, but the downside is they may also be selling bikes to kids who are now getting in on a shoestring and can't afford or don't understand the importance of proper maintenance.

The kids will also be riding the living you-know-what out of them and that twin cylinder motor is pretty highly stressed to get that kind of HP. It'll be a very cold day in Miami before I buy a Ducati again and I'd be REALLY leery of buying a first-year bike (1098) from that company.

I think you'll get more of the mature buyers with MV most of whom have "done the Ducati thing" - so you've got to decide whether that helps or hurts. If you don't have a Ducati dealer somewhere in the area, the lure of the Ducati name may outweigh the headaches for potential first-time buyers.

You do a lot of research which is good. I'd suggest you call some dealers who handle both MV and Ducati and see what they can tell you.

Good luck.

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...

Last edited by emmvee; 01-19-2007 at 12:20 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 AM

What reading have you done from a technical/engineering standpoint?

Since you are in the shop I think you will benefit the most from adoption of the marque. Most people can recognize the style quality and MT gets a large part of the press but fewer recognize that the meaningful qualities of these bikes are in their engineering. They are an absolute delight to work on.

Make sure your conversation with MV includes some discussion on parts delivery since this is a frequent question when discussing Italian anything. Maybe ask yourself or have them ask what % of parts are delivered to the dealer within one week. I think you will be very happy with the numbers

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode