Neglected in Europe!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Neglected in Europe!!

I keep a 2007 Brutale 910R with my family in Switzerland and I try to come over to ride once a year.
Lately life and work got in the way of my riding in the Swiss Alps. It's been 2 years since the bike has even had as much as its cover lifted off - pretty much a mortal sin! When I left it last, I pulled out the battery and put it on a shelf, and aired up the tires to about 40 psi. other than that i left it sitting on the side stand with some fuel in the tank.

I am currently visiting Switzerland and although again I will not be riding, I went to see my bike. A couple spiderwebs later, the cover came off and the bike looked surprisingly clean. The tires still had air in them, albeit only about 15-20 psi.

I charged up the 5 year old battery, put it in the bike, made sure there is still some of the 2 year old fuel in the tank, turned the key, and hit the starter button. The engine cranked over maybe twice then fired and immediately settled into a perfectly smooth idle!!!
I was amazed as I had fully expected that the fuel system would have to be cleaned and/or some electrical gremlins. But none of that, the bike ran as if it had just been running the day before!

I let it run for about 15 minutes to get it hot and then turned it off and with a truly heavy heart, I rolled it back into its corner and covered it back up just the way I left it 2 years ago - promising myself that I won't let another two years go by before I will be back to ride this magnificent machine. We'll see.....

Conclusion 1: I have said it many times before but this event just reinforced my opinion that the Brutale is probably the best motorcycle in the world.

Conclusion 2: The Brutale is as reliable a motorcycle as anything out there. I own two Brutale 910R, a 2007 and a 2008, and neither have EVER given me any sort of trouble.

Conclusion 3: European gasoline is a million times better than the piss water we have to use in the U.S. particularly in Kalifornia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 PM

you're very lucky, to save yourself possible anguish next time PLEAZE put in some stabil in the gas tank. Otherwise you're liable to have clogged injectors and such. I'm sure stabil or other fuel stabilizer is available in switz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
I keep a 2007 Brutale 910R with my family in Switzerland and I try to come over to ride once a year.
Lately life and work got in the way of my riding in the Swiss Alps. It's been 2 years since the bike has even had as much as its cover lifted off - pretty much a mortal sin! When I left it last, I pulled out the battery and put it on a shelf, and aired up the tires to about 40 psi. other than that i left it sitting on the side stand with some fuel in the tank.

I am currently visiting Switzerland and although again I will not be riding, I went to see my bike. A couple spiderwebs later, the cover came off and the bike looked surprisingly clean. The tires still had air in them, albeit only about 15-20 psi.

I charged up the 5 year old battery, put it in the bike, made sure there is still some of the 2 year old fuel in the tank, turned the key, and hit the starter button. The engine cranked over maybe twice then fired and immediately settled into a perfectly smooth idle!!!
I was amazed as I had fully expected that the fuel system would have to be cleaned and/or some electrical gremlins. But none of that, the bike ran as if it had just been running the day before!

I let it run for about 15 minutes to get it hot and then turned it off and with a truly heavy heart, I rolled it back into its corner and covered it back up just the way I left it 2 years ago - promising myself that I won't let another two years go by before I will be back to ride this magnificent machine. We'll see.....

Conclusion 1: I have said it many times before but this event just reinforced my opinion that the Brutale is probably the best motorcycle in the world.

Conclusion 2: The Brutale is as reliable a motorcycle as anything out there. I own two Brutale 910R, a 2007 and a 2008, and neither have EVER given me any sort of trouble.

Conclusion 3: European gasoline is a million times better than the piss water we have to use in the U.S. particularly in Kalifornia.

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post

Think you just got lucky all around with the bike, gas, battery, and sitting for so long with no critters moving in.
Don't know if EU has "better" gas than the U.S. but i'd be willing to bet in the tank isn't that ethanol enriched crap. Even in the days before modified fuel blends 2 years is a long time for any fuel to last. You very well may be on ther very ragged edge of how long the current fuel would be somewhat good enough to run a motor. Would suggest draining whatever is in there now and running the bike dry. Who knows how long it'll be before you get back there. Also, would plug up the air intakes so rodents don't make a home or food stash in the airbox.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
You'd probably also be best to find some way to keep it off the ground i.e.: front&rear stands, or you're going to get some flat spots in the tires, if you haven't already. The next ride will sound like this: thump pump thump pump thump pump thump pump thump pump thump pump thump pump thump pump...

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM

Definately depends on the environment it's in. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram (5.7 HEMI) that I've done pretty much the same thing to. It's in storage in the High-Desert in SoCal (good environment).

I kinda forgot about the truck for 2.5 years (life always seems to get in the way), then realized I need to go check on it.

I was going to try to siphon the California piss gas out of it, but Dodge put a "screen" in the line, so it's not possible.

I finally just pulled the trigger and hoped for the best with the 2.5 year old gas.... The truck fired right up, just like your Brutale! And ran perfect! I couldn't believe it!

Again, I think you're bike must be in a good environment (not a lot of moisture, and not a lot of temperature swing).

Or it could just be the Swiss have damn good gas!

Either way, quite amazing!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Established Member

Best solution to letting your bike sit for so long is to allow one of us gentleman riders to visit and take her out for a ride. From what I've seen, there are some mighty nice roads over there and I'd be happy to put a few hundred miles on your bike to keep it in shape!

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode