What do you do when the cager in front of you leaks engine oil - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

What do you do when the cager in front of you leaks engine oil

Was riding on the I 10 freeway in Los Angeles on New Years. Cruising at 70 mph, when an SUV right in front of me belched a huge load of engine oil, coughed up some junk from the hood, and stalled on the freeway. I managed to stop uneventfully, but my MV and me were covered in a layer of engine oil. The bike tires started slipping and I had to slow down to a crawl and pull over on the shoulder.

I was lucky and I did not slip and slide off the bike after going over a whole section of the road bathed in engine oil. What I want to know is if I fell and got injured would I trear it as just my bad luck or is the SUV at fault?

I know this is probably a rare occurence, but this event got me thinking. Anybody have had such events, or know what to do in such a scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Hmm, dunno. On my way to the group ride yesterday a Ford diesel pick-up was spitting fuel in his exhaust and i didn't notice until I was covered in a fine layer of muck. I had to stop to wash my visor, but my poor bike had to wait until after the ride to be attended to.
I would assume it wouls be the same as a rock-chip. If you can identify the vehicle respnsible you can usually hold them responsible.

P.S. I'm glad you're ok, it could have been much worse, like you said.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM

Generally speaking (from a liability standpoint)

anything already on the road that is picked up and thown onto any vehicle behind it, is considered "road hazard". If it was a rock, bolt, retread or whatever, the vihicle that hit it and caused it to become airborne is not liable for any damage to your vehicle, broke windshield paint damage etc..(bodily injury, I dont know for sure, as I have no experience with any injuries)

On the other hand....If the object or hazard was a part of, or came from the vehicle ahead, then it would in fact be liable. One example is dumptrucks...carrying gravel or whatever...anything that is seen flying out and hits something, then he is liable...that is why most states require all loads to be tarped.......

But its interesting to note that if you cannot the pinpoint the vehicle from which it came, then it is roadhazard.....

You will also notice alot of dumptrucks have the "stay back 300 ft, not responsible for road objects" This is tricky in that the average person will assume that the truck is not responsible for all the crap flying out of his truck (which in fact he is) but the warning is correct because they state "road objects" which is in fact anything already on the road aka road hazard.

so I would think that anything (including oil spewing out) would be the responsiblilty of the spewer, including any damage caused by it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 PM

There was an interesting discussion about tyres and oil, if I remember the story correctly, a rider wheelied a duc, a whole heap of engine oil coated the rear tyre, tyre manufacturers all recommended replace tyre....although the oil can be cleaned off with various solvents, the pores in the rubber retain the oil residue and will exude this once tyre reaches operating tempreture again, so the tyre may look 'clean' however it may become a real danger when ridden....I'd check this out if your tyre was oil soaked!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Something similar happend to a somewhat accident prone friend of mine, the same guy hit a sea gull at about 70 and broke his arm in the process. He was tooling around the backroads in CT, crested a hill and was greeted by several gallons of home heating oil all over the road. Lost control of the bike, slid down the hill and whacked the curb. Apparently a heating oil truck had spilled oil all over the street, causing the accident. The trucking company was fined, and the repairs to the bike and medical expenses were paid....similar situation but not quite the same.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks agusta01 for the tire tip. I will have it checked. Ya, it was not a fun way to start off the new year. But then again it is a Los Angeles freeway. Engine oil is a petty thing compared to car drivers shooting at each other.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Established Member

another thing to keep in mind is that most oils break down rubber over a period of time. this is most likely the reason that they call for replacement.
The only reason i say this is Aircraft tires are also made of a fairly soft compound. Engine oils, hydraulic fluids are all a serious no no to spill on the tires.
Just something to keep in mind.

'DOnt act like your not ImPREssed"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode