Oh Crap! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Oh Crap!

Had a great ride on my F4 on Saturday. The Alternator light never came on and the turn signals worked perfectly. Then of course I had a moment of stupidity and dropped it on the pavement in the middle of the road.

I was going up a moderately steep incline turning left. I did not realize I was in 2nd gear until I started to let out the clutch. Normally on a flat surface feathering the clutch a bit will take care of this but I misjudged the amount of the incline and the engine stalled. The bars were not straight when it stalled and gravity started doing it's thing. I realized I was screwed and would not be strong enough to overcome the gravity so I stepped off and allowed it to happen. I stood in the road for in a surreal sort of moment still absorbing the realization that I just damaged a nearly perfect bike that had survived unscathed for 11 years before I came around. A guy in a pickup was nice enough to give me a bit of cover while I carefully picked up my machine trying not to make matters worse with it sliding on the pavement.

The Damage was not too horrible. Some scratches on the lower side panel, a broken clutch lever, scuffed bar end and some scratches and chips out of the mirror.

I e-mailed Carl for some parts and he responded back in just a few minutes confirming he had what I needed in stock. I picked them up today and some of the parts have already been installed.

I cleaned the damaged area and it's not as bad as it initially looked. A lot of the scratches never made it past the clear coat but there are a couple that penetrated the paint. I'm going to try some touch up paint but I may end up having the whole panel resprayed if that does not work well. I actually am pretty decent getting rid of small scratches with touch up paint and polishing compound so I'm hoping it will turn out well and be invisible when i'm done. There's a seller on fleabay that's selling premixed Diamante touch up paint. In case anybody's interested here's a link to the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350358646965

I hate that it happened but at the same time I'm glad I dropped the darn thing. It's sort of forced me to realize that shit happens and shit's usually easily fixable with enough time and money. I think I'll enjoy it even more now and not worry about it so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Glad you got off lightly, always I am aware that I could drop mine being such a short arse, but as you said, poop happens, don't let the worry spoill the fun.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Oh Robert,been there-done that.It is not a nice feeling is it.I leaned over once to pick up a news paper on my Ducati,next thing smack hit the ground,and I just stood there thinking how much an idiot I was.Glad the damage is minor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM
SAB

That's pants. Glad you're OK though. It's the worst to watch in first person as well. i was behind a friend on his R1 and he did the same thing. Slow motion and all you can do is watch and hope nothing serious breaks.

She'll be back to 100% in no time. Batman's Dad said it best "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up".

"If I'd never thrown my leg over a bike, I'd never have lived." - Hislop
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Big Randaddy

Two types of riders........them's that been down......and them's that are going down. Glad you're OK. I won't tell Mark you dropped his bike.

Seriously, if you need the world's nicest superstar painter (ask Randrew) give me a call.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Two types of riders........them's that been down......and them's that are going down. Glad you're OK. I won't tell Mark you dropped his bike.

Seriously, if you need the world's nicest superstar painter (ask Randrew) give me a call.
Absolutely. I have done it in the past. It will probably happen again hopefully not with the MV.

Actually that's the big thing that bothers me most. Mark really really loved my bike and took absolutely phenomenal care of it over the many years he owned it. I'm hoping to take care of it at the same level that he did so that the next owner who gets it can feel just as guilty as I did when something bad happens. I'm hoping with the repairs it will be like it never happened.

Your phone may indeed ring regardless of how well the touch up painting goes. I'm thinking about picking up some carbon side panels and belly pan and having them painted to look like originals with just the subtle naked carbon exposed on the belly pan near the rear wheel. I saw Randrew's paint work and sent him a PM to compliment him on it. That's probably THE most beautiful way I have ever seen a carbon done on a motorcycle. Hell MV should hire Andrew to design some special edition 2013 models.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for everyone who's commented. The quotes and experiences are quite appreciated.

I still feel like an idiot. That's takes a bit longer to repair. I'll probably wear out my boots duck walking that intersection every time I ride by.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

I've never dropped a bike in my life nor will I ever drop one in this lifetime!

Now if ONLY that were true Don't feel too bad Mr Chase we have all (sadly) had things like that happen, I know it doesn't make it any easier to accept but once fixed you chalk it down to experience and use the embarrasment to avoid future mishaps.

Stupidest thing I ever did was that I used to maneuver one of 350's into place from the front holding the clipons so that it was in perfect position, of course if you over balance any bike holding it from front on you have zero chance of holding it. Sure enough, the thing went over and hit the corner of steel (hope) chest that belonged to my mother in the 1930's - put a massive dent in the tank - 2 weeks & $600 later no one knew a thing - OUCH It happens man - at least no damage to you

I suppose I should take my own advice about chalking it down to experience because I am just as pissed off about it (the stupidity) now recounting it as I was 4 years ago when it happened!

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
I've never dropped a bike in my life nor will I ever drop one in this lifetime!

Now if ONLY that were true Don't feel too bad Mr Chase we have all (sadly) had things like that happen, I know it doesn't make it any easier to accept but once fixed you chalk it down to experience and use the embarrasment to avoid future mishaps.

Stupidest thing I ever did was that I used to maneuver one of 350's into place from the front holding the clipons so that it was in perfect position, of course if you over balance any bike holding it from front on you have zero chance of holding it. Sure enough, the thing went over and hit the corner of steel (hope) chest that belonged to my mother in the 1930's - put a massive dent in the tank - 2 weeks & $600 later no one knew a thing - OUCH It happens man - at least no damage to you

I suppose I should take my own advice about chalking it down to experience because I am just as pissed off about it (the stupidity) now recounting it as I was 4 years ago when it happened!
Yikes. If its any consolation I probably would never get over dropping a beautiful vintage MV like that.

Speaking of 350's. There was one for sale on ebay that I was really tempted by until I realized I know essentially zero about the older ones and would be flying blind trying to buy it. They had a link to a youtube video and the sound was spectacular.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 AM

Go straight to the "naughty corner"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode