Buy back my bike or give it up? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Buy back my bike or give it up?

So I got offers from State Farm back today for the bike. They will cut me a check for just shy of $15000 and the offer to buy the bike back is $4650. Still debating to buy it back or not. was hoping it was going to be around $2000 or so. not sure if i want to deal with the parting especially since it will be getting cold by the time i can get up and around by myself. I will post the damages list in case anyone wants to see it.

On a side note, I have decide to give up riding. This minor accident has really got me thinking about how easily it is to get killed and I have 2 kids that depend on me, they need me here. Also financially this is killing me as well. 3-6 months at 50% wage is going to hurt really bad money will be borrowed :-(. This event was scary, the most scared i have ever been is laying in the road in traffic waiting to get ran over, longest 20 seconds of my life. I will miss it without a doubt but its not worth the risk seeing how easily this stuff happens. So on that note I also have my MV leathers for sale in the classifieds section.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Motor Cycle Center Inc.doc (30.0 KB, 302 views)

Own 2010 F4

Last edited by Stegen; 07-31-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM

take the money and don't look back, especially if you're not going to continue riding, the time required to part out things would just extend the misery......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegen View Post
So I got offers from State Farm back today for the bike. They will cut me a check for just shy of $15000 and the offer to buy the bike back is $4650. Still debating to buy it back or not. was hoping it was going to be around $2000 or so. not sure if i want to deal with the parting especially since it will be getting cold by the time i can get up and around by myself. I will post the damages list in case anyone wants to see it.

On a side note, I have decide to give up riding. This minor accident has really got me thinking about how easily it is to get killed and I have 2 kids that depend on me, they need me here. Also financially this is killing me as well. 3-6 months at 50% wage is going to hurt really bad money will be borrowed :-(. This event was scary, the most scared i have ever been is laying in the road in traffic waiting to get ran over, longest 20 seconds of my life. I will miss it without a doubt but its not worth the risk seeing how easily this stuff happens. So on that note I also have my MV leathers for sale in the classifieds section.

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 02:11 PM

sad to hear my friend,if you are not going to ride again why buy the bike back? on the other hand this accident was a one off and is bound to give you plenty time to ponder the what if's.my advice take some time and really think about could this happen again? probably not as you will be ten times more aware when riding.what ever you decide stay safe and best wishes in your recovery mate.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

I was going to part the bike out onto ebay and the forum here. but that will take considerable amounts of time and labor and space. There is still a small fortune in perfectly good used bits on the bike. I need to give it up cuz there is to much risk to it. There is a good chance this probably wont happen again but i cant risk it. I couldnt even imagine what would have happened if i got up to the speed limit before impact. ugh. Plus i already have PTSD from it, hate driving around. lol

Own 2010 F4
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Sorry to hear of the dilemma and your concerns over riding again. You would not be the first to make such a decision. A lot of guys quit riding when they are raising a family, but come back once the kids are grown.

That said, take the money and let them sell the bike at auction......OR...

Consider giving up street riding and do only track days. In which case, keep the bike, sell the usable street related bits, repair the cosmetically damaged bits rather than replace, and turn it into a track only bike....and take the kids to the track with you so they can watch daddy play!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 03:34 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegen View Post
I was going to part the bike out onto ebay and the forum here. but that will take considerable amounts of time and labor and space. There is still a small fortune in perfectly good used bits on the bike. I need to give it up cuz there is to much risk to it. There is a good chance this probably wont happen again but i cant risk it. I couldnt even imagine what would have happened if i got up to the speed limit before impact. ugh. Plus i already have PTSD from it, hate driving around. lol
It depends on what your definition of what a small fortune is. Having parted out dozens of these, let me tell you, it's not very glamorous.

You can roughly calculate the value of the good parts, the parts no one wants you'll be hung with. Don't forget ebay fees, shipping fees, paypal fees, and the cost of boxes and packing material. Then you have to transport it to UPS or the Post office.

You'll need a nice place to work, clean the parts, and store them of course.

Take the money. I wouldn't part it out if I were you.

A note to the cynics here: I'm not interested in it at all. I'm just trying to give him some advice from someone who's done it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thought about the track thing but that is too expensive for me overall. Thank you Carl. You have made my decision easy. To auction it goes. I was actually going to message you and ask if you wanted it but you have stated that clearly. Thanks again guys.

Own 2010 F4
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM

wow, Aric
wishes you all the best, do whatever best for you and family.
Take care,
Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 08:04 PM

I agree that you have to do what is right for you, but... I had an off (a real biggy) when I was 20. Shit that's 30 years ago! In a way it was a good thing because my awareness levels / road craft where so much better after the event. I didn't want the same thing happening again. I can't imagine not having a bike for the last 3 decades, something would have been missing in my life.

Stegen, I don't know the circumstances of your accident but it's really sad to see a fellow rider giving it up. Maybe you'll join us again in the future.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Big Randaddy

Just stumbled onto this thread. Stegen's decision doesn't surprise me at all....why?.....because I had a similar "Come to Jesus" back in 1982.

I had 4 motorcycles and rode like a crazy man, when Jackie became pregnant with our daughter. I've never been a really good rider, and back when I was 30, I was also 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Stupidity, mediocrity, and one ill handling KZ1000 are a recipe for disaster.......and somehow, I sinced it.

I really think God touched me and said, "Bubba.....it might be a good thing if you give up riding for a while". Literally immediately, the desire was gone......for exactly 20 years. I sold all four of my bikes and had no desire to ride again until I approached 50......with my life insurance paid up.

That's when I got back in. Good luck Stegen.......choose the decision that makes the most sense for your family. With a little luck, and God's grace, you'll be back.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode