So my BMW tow vehicle "blasphemy" might be in full effect soon (project thread)... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
So my BMW tow vehicle "blasphemy" might be in full effect soon (project thread)...

A while back (before Bubba) I started shopping trailers before Carl graciously offered to shuttle my bike back and forth. My plan was to tow the bike behind the BMW 328 wagon (which will probably cause shock among the Americans and a 'duh' among our foreign members).

Now, though, I am expecting some free time in the fall and next spring and I think more track days are in order (along with a need to trailer Jennifer's scooter in for service).

So, my search begins anew and I I may have found the solution. A cheap as chips and, more importantly, simple and light utility trailer from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...els-90154.html

Its leaf-sprung with big wheels so it should be a great bed for bike. Its 252# alone. Think adding some plate/wood for the floor, anchors and a chock would still keep it at or below 300#. That coupled with the bike would be well below 1000# and should keep it well within the 200# tongue/2000# tow capacity of the hidden hitch available for the BMW. It also folds up for easy storage.

I think it will be a fun project and I might end up with a Kendon like trailer for less than 300# and $1000 while giving up some of my relatively cheap time. Ill admit its not totally original, its been done before:
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/gen...long-pics.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
My friends have an X-3 with that "Hidden Hitch". It works a treat and they pull and enclosed 7X12 traier with two bikes: a Yammy FJR1300 and and FZ-1. No worries.

Just make sure you are paying attention when the BMW Tech shows you how that hitch attaches and detaches....it is tricky if you don't remember.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
........My plan was to tow the bike behind the BMW 328 wagon (which will probably cause shock among the Americans and a 'duh' among our foreign members)...........

Yup, it's just another euro-box - the majority of the BMW "Tourings" will have a tow-bar fitted over here
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I hate to sound snobbish, but I wouldn't put a $500 saddle on a $100 horse. Most of the stuff from harbor freight is junk. Fine if you are banging nails with it, but I would be afraid of anything like a trailer from them.

There is a company that makes a sweet fold up trailer and I've seen them at many track days towed with the same vehicle you are using. I can't remember who though.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I hate to sound snobbish, but I wouldn't put a $500 saddle on a $100 horse. Most of the stuff from harbor freight is junk. Fine if you are banging nails with it, but I would be afraid of anything like a trailer from them.

There is a company that makes a sweet fold up trailer and I've seen them at many track days towed with the same vehicle you are using. I can't remember who though.
Talk with Puny Juney....she has one. Is it a Kendon?

BTW, Carl prefers to ride bareback....

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Last edited by Randarosa; 07-17-2013 at 11:01 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post

No doubt but Im not blazing a trail with this. Doing some searches people have been going this since 2006. Since then they have improved the trailer design (bigger wheels/bearings) and multiple bikers have made trailers out of it.

The reason I am going this route is because its a simple flatbed trailer with no configuration, which is one reason its cheap as shit. I plan on replacing the moving parts (bearings and the like), doing my own wiring and welding all but the fold-up parts and beefing up the fold-up parts.

Then, using that as a base, building one to my specifications.

Its not really about saving money on the trailer, my big issue is anything built for motorcycles is built for far bigger bikes than mine (or multiples) and, as a result, are quite heavy. The only ones that come close like the Kendon are 10x the price and still an extra 100lbs despite being considerably smaller and not being re-configurable.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
BTW, Carl prefers to ride bareback....
and how would you know about that Randy?

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
and how would you know about that Randy?

He told me......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Rodeo sex, baby!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM

New Site Garage
I have one that is just like it. Mine came for redtrailers. Not sure if they are even still in business. I have placed a couple thousand miles on mine with no problem. With my old house I loved the option of standing the trailer up to store it. When I get to the new house that will not be an issue any more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode