Trading in my 12' Speed Triple - Want to get some opinions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Trading in my 12' Speed Triple - Want to get some opinions

Hey Everyone,

So I'm considering the B800 as one of the replacement for my Speed Triple. I live in an urban environment and commute about 50 miles a day. This bike will by no means be a commuter bike or my main motorcycle. I also own a cafe'd Bonneville and a CB1100 that I have set up for pillion and touring. I'm basically looking for something sporty, light weight, and fun.

The speed triple is a great bike and very versatile. It is fast and surprisingly very comfortable. But riding it in urban environments were a chore. It is top heavy combined with a tallish seat and that made it tough in heavy traffic. On top of that, it wasn't really a "fun" bike unless I was completely disobeying the law.

Right now my short list includes the KTM Duke 690, 13' Triumph Street Triple R, Ducati Monster 796/1100, Ducati Streetfighter 848, and MV Agusta B800. I'd like to get some opinions on these bikes, whether you have previously owned one, cross shopped these, or ultimately what made you choose the B800.

Thanks!
Hung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutaleville View Post
Hey Everyone,

So I'm considering the B800 as one of the replacement for my Speed Triple. I live in an urban environment and commute about 50 miles a day. This bike will by no means be a commuter bike or my main motorcycle. I also own a cafe'd Bonneville and a CB1100 that I have set up for pillion and touring. I'm basically looking for something sporty, light weight, and fun.

The speed triple is a great bike and very versatile. It is fast and surprisingly very comfortable. But riding it in urban environments were a chore. It is top heavy combined with a tallish seat and that made it tough in heavy traffic. On top of that, it wasn't really a "fun" bike unless I was completely disobeying the law.

Right now my short list includes the KTM Duke 690, 13' Triumph Street Triple R, Ducati Monster 796/1100, Ducati Streetfighter 848, and MV Agusta B800. I'd like to get some opinions on these bikes, whether you have previously owned one, cross shopped these, or ultimately what made you choose the B800.

Thanks!
Hung
Welcome Hung.....tell us a little more about yourself. Where are you from?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Welcome Hung.....tell us a little more about yourself. Where are you from?
Hi Randarosa,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm from the Philadelphia region, 31 and married with about 7k miles under my belt. I don't really wish to lose my license or fear of it everytime I take out the S3. I consider myself to have quite a bit of self control, but I can't help myself everytime I ride it.

I understand that the B800 will probably be just as quick as the S3 given it's much lower weight. But hopefully it will be just as much fun going through the slower tight stuff as it is blasting around. The S3 was somewhat of a chore. I know there are many riders who prefer to have to man handle a bike. To be honest, I have way more fun on my Bonneville riding on the street than I do with the S3, and that's what it should be all about.

My main priorities in order are: Fun, Nimble/Lightweight, Styling, Reliability, Dealer Network/Support, Price. Notice how I put price last. This isn't because I'm so well off that I don't care what I spend. But considering my list of contenders, there's the $8k KTM all the way up to $13k SF848. I would consider the SF848 if it provided me more of what I"m looking for. I really wish it were simple to test ride these bikes, but none of the dealerships around here allow that and I don't see any demo days planned.

I need some help folks!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Hung,

I've just chopped in a 2010 Z1000 for a B800 and its the best thing I ever did
I'm still taking it easy as I've only covered 300 miles but I recon its easily as quick as the Zed was and you certainly notice that your not dragging that extra 30kgs. The suspension is the firm side of comfortable especially if the road surface isn't too great but it handles beautifully, you only need to look at a corner and the thing is dropping in before you know it.
Legs aren't too cramped, the seat is thin though and I find body position has a forward bias so pushes weight onto your wrists and so a bit of a drag in town but all that is forgotten once you get out there, a bit of speed take the weight off your wrists making it more comfortable. I'd say about 1-2hrs and you'll be wanting to stop for a stretch and probably need to top up with fuel anyhow?
The engines not as smooth as the Zed was low down in the rev range, 1-4000rpm but I put this down to it being a triple rather than anything to do with the fuelling, it's not that it's lumpy or lurching unpredictably it just feels bogged down in any gear. I've riddled twins before and some older Ducati 748's so I know what they were like but I've only ever owned jap 4 cylinders so I think I've been spoilt with their smooth drive from 0 to redline, especially the zed.

And the sound of that exhaust when it's on song is hypnotic, In fact I think the thing that first turned me toward an MV was hearing the F3 at the Isle of Man TT, that and the fact I fancied something lighter, sharper handling and with a bit of character and the B800 certainly's got that

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Established Member

Hey Hung,

I think you have some tough choice's ahead. I haven't ridden one yet but from months of collecting information and talking to other members the B3 800 will easily cover your priorities of fun, styling, nimble and lightweight. The tough choice will come from reliability, and it's really to early to call yet. I don't believe there have been any horror stories yet. The fuelling everyone bleats on about will improve and get smoother over time, but most riders like Chris above don't see it as a problem at all. Dealer network is small but growing, I guess it depends if you have a MV dealer near you.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackers View Post
Hi Hung,

I've just chopped in a 2010 Z1000 for a B800 and its the best thing I ever did
I'm still taking it easy as I've only covered 300 miles but I recon its easily as quick as the Zed was and you certainly notice that your not dragging that extra 30kgs. The suspension is the firm side of comfortable especially if the road surface isn't too great but it handles beautifully, you only need to look at a corner and the thing is dropping in before you know it.
Legs aren't too cramped, the seat is thin though and I find body position has a forward bias so pushes weight onto your wrists and so a bit of a drag in town but all that is forgotten once you get out there, a bit of speed take the weight off your wrists making it more comfortable. I'd say about 1-2hrs and you'll be wanting to stop for a stretch and probably need to top up with fuel anyhow?
The engines not as smooth as the Zed was low down in the rev range, 1-4000rpm but I put this down to it being a triple rather than anything to do with the fuelling, it's not that it's lumpy or lurching unpredictably it just feels bogged down in any gear. I've riddled twins before and some older Ducati 748's so I know what they were like but I've only ever owned jap 4 cylinders so I think I've been spoilt with their smooth drive from 0 to redline, especially the zed.

And the sound of that exhaust when it's on song is hypnotic, In fact I think the thing that first turned me toward an MV was hearing the F3 at the Isle of Man TT, that and the fact I fancied something lighter, sharper handling and with a bit of character and the B800 certainly's got that
Hey Ackers,

Thanks for your input. I think perhaps it is indeed a characteristics of a triple engine. I have a parallel twin and I-4 in the garage for comparison. Even though the S3 has gobs of torque and is the quickest by far, it definitely does not like higher gears and anything below 2.5k rpms. I even went +2 in the back and it still exhibited this behavior.

When you decided to trade in the Z1000, did you cross shop other bikes at the same time? Seems like I am going down a similar direction as you.

12' Triumph Bonneville
15' Ducati Diavel
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHead View Post
Hey Hung,

I think you have some tough choice's ahead. I haven't ridden one yet but from months of collecting information and talking to other members the B3 800 will easily cover your priorities of fun, styling, nimble and lightweight. The tough choice will come from reliability, and it's really to early to call yet. I don't believe there have been any horror stories yet. The fuelling everyone bleats on about will improve and get smoother over time, but most riders like Chris above don't see it as a problem at all. Dealer network is small but growing, I guess it depends if you have a MV dealer near you.
Hey DeadHead,

Yes, I've been reading a lot of reviews and just doing some research overall on different bikes. Not to say reliability and dealer network aren't important, but they are at the bottom of my list. I still felt it imperative to list them. I don't know if I would consider this bike if it were to be my main one. But I'm fortunate to have rock solid bikes with dealers only minutes away in my stable.

Actually, the MV dealer network around me isn't too bad. We have Fast by Ferraci about 20 mins away and Eurosports is 55 mins away. I have to admit that the B3 800 is currently at the top of my list. It's pretty rare to see one in my part of town and there's a certain mystique, exotica if you will with owning an MV.

12' Triumph Bonneville
15' Ducati Diavel
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Established Member

Have you had a chance to demo any of the bikes on your list? Demos are what always sell me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcity View Post
Have you had a chance to demo any of the bikes on your list? Demos are what always sell me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I have not been able to demo any of them. It's near impossible to get dealers to allow test rides and I don't see any demo days right now. I am going purely off reviews, sitting on the bikes, and my guy instinct. I'm hoping other members can share their insights and help me make a decision.

12' Triumph Bonneville
15' Ducati Diavel
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
When you decided to trade in the Z1000, did you cross shop other bikes at the same time? Seems like I am going down a similar direction as you.
To be honest I didn't, the new Z800 didn't appeal as its heavier than the Z1000 The Ducati SF was too much money for me and I didn't want to ride it in case i liked it And the Triumph Speed triple is the wrong side of 200kg and those cans would have to go and the Street triple was a little small at 675 and i'm not sure about the new exhaust they've stolen off the FireBlade. Anther selling point for the MV is you won't want to go replacing that gorgeous exhaust so thats money saved

Quote:
and there's a certain mystique, exotica if you will with owning an MV.
That was a big buying point for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcity View Post
I think you'll struggle to find a B800 or any of the triples on demo for that matter they are in such short supply dealers cant afford to put one on as a demo, I certainly couldn't find one anywhere near me in the UK so I had to buy it having only sat on it fortunately I wasn't disappointed when I got to ride it
(case in point, my dealer said he has 8 customers waiting for an F3 800 and he's just been told that amongst the next batch of bikes coming to the UK from MV there are only 4 F3 800's for the whole country )

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode