choppers (read: harleys) suck - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
choppers (read: harleys) suck

i'll admit that some of them are pretty cool to look at, but other than that, a chopper is crap. my idea of a motorcycle is to maximize power-to-weight ratio, and have razor-sharp handling. plus, it should look good doing it. and the MV's fit those parameters better than anything out there.

so, at the other end of the performance spectrum, we have choppers. big, heavy, crappy handling, and slow.

i do some consulting work for a custom chopper shop here in so. cal. and they asked me to help them understand gearing and drive force (thrust) on their machines. just looking at the calcuations even for the biggest motor (124 ci or 2031 cc's), the gearing is so bad that 5th and 6th are useless.

here's where the story get better. i told the guy that the data indicates that anything after 4th, and the bike will slow down. on top of that, since the drag (aerodynamic) is so bad on a chopper, i was doubtful that the bike would get past 140mph. and i was being generous. honestly, i don't think it'll go much faster than 125 mph. drag goes as the square of velocity, and those bikes have HORRIBLE drag coefficients.

so, now this guy wants me to come out to some dry lake bed, and he'd going to prove that i'm wrong.

i've offered to put money on this. but i'm beginning to feel bad. this is a bet that he just can't win...

alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:28 PM

Lightbulb

I don't know much about choppers, but I remember watching a show where a couple in Florida, who used to work for GM?, created a new replacement transmission or such to make the most use of the power a big twin powerband.

I used to feel the same way that you do about performance. But sometimes it's not just about going fast or braking hard. Sometimes it's just about putting around on something you enjoy or better yet, built yourself. I've owned a few VTwins now and there is something special about them. I loved my RC51 if nothing else for the sound through the akrapovics.

Besides, I have fun on most things with two wheels. I have a blast zooming around an my Zuma pit bike.

BTW: Check these guys out. The Sunday Riders Let's see you have that kind of fun on your MV.

Jack

Last edited by Gladio; 02-23-2006 at 05:30 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

ok, maybe my title is a bit harsh...

but i'm sick of hearing about guys on their custom air-cooled twins talking smack about performance.

i'm looking forward to this "test". it will be interesting at the very least!

alex
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:11 AM

Don't stress about it let him think whatever he wants. I don't come across it much now but had to endure it plenty when I got my first RG250 21years ago. I checked your profile and see that you’re only a year younger than me so maybe you should be a little more resilient to this type of stupidity.

Last edited by Rockethouse; 02-24-2006 at 04:49 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Established Member

Post the results...And pictures. At the very least, you've started an interesting story!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 07:57 AM

Choppers aren't my thing but I do admire some of the fabrication and the artwork such as paint designs etc.

Performance is not what they are about but I will bet the house that some of the big bore bikes WILL beat you at a drag race across the intersection.

Thank goodness there is diversity or else everyone would be riding MV's

John
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
I have to admit that i do enjoy the fabrication process that comes into play with making a custom chopper. some people can just take a piece of bare metal and turn it into a beautiful motorcycle. they aren't supposed to be as fast as our bikes but i think it would be a joy to watch someone try to hit 140 on a chopper. even with a howling tail wind i don't think they would come close with the weight. If you can get some video's also i would love to see it. you do bring up a good conversation topic, i look forward to the final result.

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 10:32 AM

... call the media for this one. "Pinks" the reality show!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamranmarashi
... call the media for this one. "Pinks" the reality show!!!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

there will be photos. and video.

he wants me to bring the f4 1000, which i expect to pick-up next week. i'm supposed to be the 'chase' vehicle and get some pictures and video of his chopper hauling down this lake bed.

we'll see.

alex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode