Busted by the CHP!!! Need advice Please! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Busted by the CHP!!! Need advice Please!

Yup, they got me...Ticketed for "Traveling more than 200 feet in a shared left-hand turn lane". Now here's the interesting stuff:

1) I have a perfect riding/driving record, so I can go to traffic school, pay my $151.00 fine, and it goes away. BUT, if I choose that, I will HAVE to fight the next one, 18 months before school is an option again.

2) Whether I actually travelled 200+ feet is a debatable item, I went back with a tape and measured...I was a little long, but you try and judge 200 feet rolling off under you!!! And the officer was oncoming!

3) Although my offense is written on the ticket, verbatim as stated above, the officer used THE WRONG CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE for the violation!!! I referenced it online, he was way off. The California VC violation number he wrote on my ticket states NOTHING about 200 feet in a shared lane, it pertains to a three lane rural road where the center lane may be used for passing only. I later found the correct violation code, but I'm keeping that info to myself.

Should I take my "get out of jail free" card and go to traffic school? Or shouid I go to court and hope the judge has no mercy on the officer for his inability to correctly cite his customer? If it is dismissed, or as a fallback, if I can demonstrate that I was right at about 200 feet, I can keep my next ticket for traffic school.

Please give me your thoughts, or if anyone has ever fought a ticket with errant VC info, please share that story, how did it go?

Thanks,

Griff
twoeleven

Last edited by twoeleven; 12-22-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Griff,

1. i'm sorry you had this experience.... it sucks

2. what is your PREVIOUS experience with LEOs? you say that you NEVER have been stopped? if so, then just do the ONLINE school and be done with it. fighthing tickets takes time, causes anxiety, and the cases are usually lost, even if the LEO used the wrong VC code..... courts HATE MOTORCYCLISTS... it's always been that way.... not because of you or me.... but all those "squids" who F___ it up for the rest of us

my advice:
school and forget it
fight the next one..... IF there is a next one

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Not very lucky..

Isn't it 250 feet?
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
If it is the center lane of a two-way road in California, it is 200 feet.

I forgot to mention, I was in my cage at the time, not on a bike, so MC biases shouldn't be a factor, otherwise, I would agree with you Spalding...I have been stopped before, not in a long time however, but I have always done the school to keep my record clean.

Griff
twoeleven
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:34 PM
lk

I have to agree with Greg in that we have the disadvantage by association... and the judge will always favor the officer. So my advice is this:

1) If you have the time.. go to court.. if the officer even arrives then you'll ask for traffic school... IF the officer doesnt arrive you automatically get the ticket erased. It has happened to me... but it's not the rule.

or

2) Get it wiped off in traffic school now since in all reality.. with normal life it might be another 18 months or more before you get your next violation. Take your credit now.. not later.

I dont suggest you fight it since he WILL win if he is there.

So.. thats my experience/suggestion
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
Griff,

1. i'm sorry you had this experience.... it sucks

2. what is your PREVIOUS experience with LEOs? you say that you NEVER have been stopped? if so, then just do the ONLINE school and be done with it. fighthing tickets takes time, causes anxiety, and the cases are usually lost, even if the LEO used the wrong VC code..... courts HATE MOTORCYCLISTS... it's always been that way.... not because of you or me.... but all those "squids" who F___ it up for the rest of us

my advice:
school and forget it
fight the next one..... IF there is a next one
i agree 100 percent .

its so bad in my part of florida the police will sneek up behind u an take ur key out of ur bike while ur at a stop light to issue u a ticket .

when it happend to me i almost grabed the cop cus i thought i was getting robbed , but as i went to grab him i saw a gun out of the corner of my eye an then things got bad .

all of that for a improperly mounted tag . it was at 70 degrees to the ground not 90 . the police are so confused an pissed at everyone who runs from them the openly violates the laws , the rest of our rights are takin from us , to try an show they are wighting tickets to people on bikes , an the cituation isnt out of control for them .
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoeleven
If it is the center lane of a two-way road in California, it is 200 feet.

I forgot to mention, I was in my cage at the time, not on a bike, so MC biases shouldn't be a factor, otherwise, I would agree with you Spalding...I have been stopped before, not in a long time however, but I have always done the school to keep my record clean.

Griff
twoeleven
ah....
car, not bike
i do understand

many years ago i went through a stage when i got QUITE A FEW speeding tickets... about 20 years ago

i once went to driviing school... and when i entered the room, the instrutor, who was also a cop making some extra money said:

"hey doc, do you want your USUAL seat?"

in florida....
you can go to court and request driving school BEFORE you are legally allowed to attend...
that's how i went
so...
you can fight the next ticket... but, i'm sure that you can argue to the judge about going to driving school again

and....
for folks worried about a few hundred more in insurance cost because of a ticket...

well....
you don't think twice about spending 2K on aftermarket bike parts... so, $300.00 for more insurance won't hurt too badly, now will it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
"Traveling more than 200 feet in a shared left-hand turn lane"
What does that mean?

Si
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:17 PM

I haven't had a ticket in years but I used to appear when I got one. There's always the possibility that the officer won't show up and you win by default. In one case I proved mathmatically that the officer couldn't possibly have paced me at 60mph as he said. I lost.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer
What does that mean?

Si
I was on a four lane street, two lanes in each direction. In this case, there are many business driveways along both sides of the street, so there is a center lane which you may enter, up to 200 feet before you make a left-hand turn across the oncoming lanes. Some people call this the suicide lane, it is quite common in Los Angeles. You cannot just drive along in this lane, you can ONLY use it to clear your lanes while waiting to turn left, this way, traffic keeps flowing.

Griff
twoeleven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode