Advice Sought: 2005 Brutale 750 or 2000 F4 (750) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Advice Sought: 2005 Brutale 750 or 2000 F4 (750)

Hello all,

I'm new here, looks like a great forum!

By way of introduction, i'm a big fan of italian machinery, and I'm looking for a new 'big' bike....

I was formerly looking at ducati monsters, but now my focus has shifted... to the early brutales, but also the f4s... the looks and detail have caught my attention!! - love the nostrils on the brute, but the f4.. omg...

I have been doing some research, esp into reliability...

I am aware of the hub issues, but really that does not faze me - pretty handy with mechanicals - rebuilding bearings etc...

what did disturb me however, is the talk of the PSU issues with the brutales.... I read on here that these can give all sorts of electrical issues without warning and basically leave you stranded. This is not good.

Even more disturbingly, i read on a consumer complaints board, that 3 riders has issues with the PSU burning up, and being located near the fuel tank, even started to melt the plastic fuel tank! - if so, these reports correctly discribed this failure as a potential risk of serious injury or death! not cool.

I am aware there are update replacement PSUs avail, but their replacement cost is pretty spendy...

I looked up the f4 parts book, and although it was a cursory look, it does not appear the early f4 750s have a psu? it appears they have their relays and fuses distributed around the bike instead... is this so? in that case is the f4 an inherently more electrically stable and reliable bike?

I'm looking at two examples here in Australia.

1) 2005 Brutale 750 - 33k kms
2) 2000 F4 750 - 22k kms

the f4 is priced around 1k more than the brute... but if i have to pre-emptively replace (and heat shield) the PSU on the brutale, and say I switch to the trick arrow exhaust, that's the price difference right there!! (needless to say, nothing need be done to the f4s exhaust!! )

- anyway, i'm looking to spend around 9 grand on these things, so I'm pretty apprehensive about buying a dud... ordinarily i would opt for the cheaper and newer brute, with reliability and longevity being in it's favour with newer versions - but right now, if i have the issues right, it appears to be reversed with the MVs... ahh, italians

anything else i should be looking for? any other advice anyone has to give about the two would be greatly appreciated!

- normally, i would hit up dealerships and ride em to decide, bit hard with a decade old bike, and not many MVs around here... not sure the owners would appreciate me asking for a test ride to see if i like it

- any opinions for or against either bike would be great. normally, the brute would be the pick for city riding, but it appears to have the same peaky engine of the f4... so maybe they are more closer? does the brute have a lot more steering range? or do both have relatively little steering lock... normally sport bike ergos don't bother me too much...

thanks all!

Last edited by wankski; 06-06-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 AM

Personally I'd get the Brutale

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:54 AM

Personally I would get the F4.
I ride this thing since almost 13 years and I still wouldn't change it for a Brutale.
Nor would I ever sell my F4.
Sure being stuck in city traffic or jams is sweat driving and the steering is somewhat limited.
Being the F4 a 2000 and was still running I assume the bike got some updates over the years.
MV Agusta offered an upgrade to the twin rad set up back in 2001.
Which is of course lowering the cooling water temperature dramatically.
With the single rad the bike was quickly boiling once stationary on traffic lights or in slow moving jams.
If You plan on touring longer distances and can't deal with a little back pack, or are facing big city traffic on a daily basis than the Brutale is might the better weapon.
The F4 likes to be flying free.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM

F4 750s rock.

You can buy used/new parts from forum sponsors, it's not a real problem.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

cool...

the f4.... does it have a spu? are they generally electrically reliable?

cheers
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:18 PM

New Site Garage
Hey mate,
not sure about the spam but if the Brutale has had the SPU replaced, she'll be fine. If not, then yes put aside funds to replace it. When they fail, it's generally associated with electrics but doesn't (as a rule) leave you stranded, just with funky indicators/headlights etc...(then end result being you can get home).

The Brutale is more comfortable and is just as happy on the track as it is on the road. It has a better turning circle and is faster round the real twisties than the F4. Both are easy to work on and the choice is do you want something that is slightly more comfortable to commute on, or just a weekend racer? Both fit the bill, but the F4 is less forgiving in the traffic (and the body when going slowly).

...and the F4 doesn't have the SPU

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks cruiser, very much appreciated... you pretty much answered all my questions...

and the answers on the other thread were also very helpful...

now all that is left is to actually see the two bikes in the flesh... and decide!

thanks all!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 PM
cus

where are you?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

melbs...

very lucky to be a biker in tassie.... must have some amazing roads to ride down there...

cheers
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankski View Post
thanks cruiser, very much appreciated... you pretty much answered all my questions...

and the answers on the other thread were also very helpful...

now all that is left is to actually see the two bikes in the flesh... and decide!

thanks all!
Wanski.......you're missing one critical point. The cool guys ride Bruties, and chicks dig Brutie riders. Our F4 brethren won't admit it, but then again, they ride F4s.

(just kidding.....welcome to the forum)

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode