New 2013 F4! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

New 2013 F4!

Finally had some nice weather on the weekend so I flew out Saturday morning and finally picked up my new F4! 700 Kms the first day and I had a smile on my face for every single one.

The sound this thing makes is absolutely intoxicating. I had brought the iPod in case I got bored but never ended up using it for the entire 6.5 hour trip. Just couldn't get enough of that Italian growl!

Already hit the 1000 Km mark last night so now I have to wait for the stands to get in to do the oil change.

Unfortunately the bike was slightly damaged during shipping as you can see in the pictures. They've placed an order for a new nose fairing but apparently I'll be waiting anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months.

The bike is just awesome, but I do have a couple of small gripes that hopefully can be answered by you fine folks:
1. After washing it for the first time Sunday afternoon, I proceeded to go for a ride immediately after. Not sure if it was because of the water getting into something electrical, but the bike "stuttered" violently when twisting the throttle. What was strange is that it only happened when in gear... Was also VERY hard to get going from a stop. I went home after riding for a block, restarted the bike, and everything ran perfectly afterwards... Any ideas? The test will be this weekend after I wash it again.

2. My rear shock assembly wiggles to the left and right. I haven't tried torquing anything up yet but is this normal?

3. Like many others, my damn quickshifter doesn't work either.... Oh well, hopefully they get that sorted soon.

I'd like to thank everyone for the wealth of information you've already provided me (I've spent probably hundreds of hours reading already) and I look forward to spending the foreseeable future here with what seems like a great group of people!

Pics!

First time seeing it!

Finally home after the long ride.

Damage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwebby View Post
1. After washing it for the first time Sunday afternoon, I proceeded to go for a ride immediately after. Not sure if it was because of the water getting into something electrical, but the bike "stuttered" violently when twisting the throttle. What was strange is that it only happened when in gear... Was also VERY hard to get going from a stop. I went home after riding for a block, restarted the bike, and everything ran perfectly afterwards... Any ideas? The test will be this weekend after I wash it again.

Might be something getting wet.

2. My rear shock assembly wiggles to the left and right. I haven't tried torquing anything up yet but is this normal?

Yes this is normal.

3. Like many others, my damn quickshifter doesn't work either.... Oh well, hopefully they get that sorted soon.

Have activated the quickshifter on your dash?
Can you please show me a close up picture of your gearlever, it does not look like there's even a load cell on there ?
First time seeing it!

Awesome bike mate, congrats.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quickshifter is activated. Here is the picture.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Congrats on the purchase. She is a beauty. My advise is same as Donsy.

Ride fast and furious but live to ride another day!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 PM

I have to ask, Why are you washing it? With Water?
Are you riding through a lot of mud or salted roads?

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Quickshifter is activated. Here is the picture.
Okay so you probably have the same issue as the guys here in Australia , waiting for software update

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I have to ask, Why are you washing it? With Water?
Are you riding through a lot of mud or salted roads?
It really needed it when I got home as I hit rain a couple times on the way. At the time the roads were still quite dirty from winter so vehicles in front of me were spraying up quite a bit of water and dirt.

Now you have me curious though... Being a fair weather vehicle, obviously I don't have to wash it very often, but when I do, I just use the bucket and hose method. Judging by your question, I assume you don't... So do you just use a waterless wash product and wipe off with a micro fiber? Is that what everyone else is doing now with the massive amount of these types of products out there?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
It really needed it when I got home as I hit rain a couple times on the way. At the time the roads were still quite dirty from winter so vehicles in front of me were spraying up quite a bit of water and dirt.

Now you have me curious though... Being a fair weather vehicle, obviously I don't have to wash it very often, but when I do, I just use the bucket and hose method. Judging by your question, I assume you don't... So do you just use a waterless wash product and wipe off with a micro fiber? Is that what everyone else is doing now with the massive amount of these types of products out there?
I do just use a detail spray and a cloth. I like this stuff:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-870-a...w-formula.aspx
They have instructional videos for all of their products and Adam is really a nice guy!

I've had to use water on bikes just three times in the past 30 years. Sometimes it just ain't gonna get clean any other way. And I do wash my car with water for sure.

I'm sure there's a million and one reasons for each method, my thinking is;
1) if you get water into electrical stuff = bad
2) After washing with water you're more likely to get rust
3) you're gonna have water spots EVERYWHERE that will have to be toweled off in places that are hard to reach.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I'm sure there's a million and one reasons for each method, my thinking is;
1) if you get water into electrical stuff = bad
2) After washing with water you're more likely to get rust
3) you're gonna have water spots EVERYWHERE that will have to be toweled off in places that are hard to reach.
At least a million and one... I've done a LOT of research for the last year or so on detailing, and it's definitely true what they say about ass holes and opinions.

It was always my understanding that motorcycles are built to be 99% waterproof and that it should be fine to go at them with a hose. Giving this bike a good look over the other day, that doesn't seem to be the case (ie. fuse case on the left side will never keep out water.)

As far as the rust and waterspots go though, I definitely learned the hard way on a previous bike. Rear shock was rusted to hell and the hard to reach areas like engine nooks and crannies always had water spots. The solution is keeping everything wet until your ready to dry, giving the paint a quick once over with a waffle weave foam core drying towel, then the last and most key step, a leaf blower for all the hard to reach areas. It gets EVERYTHING dry and if somehow there's water spots left over, a quick detailer and a mf solve those.

That being said, I've just ordered a waterless wash product from the product line I use. Should be able to cut down on the full blown washes from now on and keep some water out of those electrical areas.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
At least a million and one... I've done a LOT of research for the last year or so on detailing, and it's definitely true what they say about ass holes and opinions.

It was always my understanding that motorcycles are built to be 99% waterproof and that it should be fine to go at them with a hose. Giving this bike a good look over the other day, that doesn't seem to be the case (ie. fuse case on the left side will never keep out water.)

As far as the rust and waterspots go though, I definitely learned the hard way on a previous bike. Rear shock was rusted to hell and the hard to reach areas like engine nooks and crannies always had water spots. The solution is keeping everything wet until your ready to dry, giving the paint a quick once over with a waffle weave foam core drying towel, then the last and most key step, a leaf blower for all the hard to reach areas. It gets EVERYTHING dry and if somehow there's water spots left over, a quick detailer and a mf solve those.

That being said, I've just ordered a waterless wash product from the product line I use. Should be able to cut down on the full blown washes from now on and keep some water out of those electrical areas.
Sounds like you know your stuff!
It's when people just go at it with the hose and bucket for no reason and with no Idea how to get it dry that makes me wonder....

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode