Any F3s with expanding fuel tanks (ethanol)? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Question Any F3s with expanding fuel tanks (ethanol)?

Wondering if anybody had encountered problems with their F3's fuel tank expanding? This has been a problem with Aprilia / Ducati / MV (on the F4s) in the USA and its related to ethanol in our gasoline. I'm wondering if this issue has now been sorted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM

On the fuel tank is a sticker stating not to use fuel with ethanol.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
On the fuel tank is a sticker stating not to use fuel with ethanol.
If only that were an option. Damn the Renewable Fuels legislation. I hate the EPA.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Mike View Post
If only that were an option. Damn the Renewable Fuels legislation. I hate the EPA.
And the Ethanol Lobby !!!!

I don't believe I saw that sticker on any of the bikes I looked at....and not sure they could do that in the USA, since E10 is mandated fuel.

Pretty sure the various manufacturers have it sorted by now...they are still selling bikes here.
By the way, the plastic tank on my 2008 Brutale has never had a problem.....different plastic materials I presume.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to idahomike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Mike View Post
It's an option in some areas as we have several pumps here in Idaho that offer ethanol-free premium at just under $4.00/gal. I use that religiously.

Life Is Short, Eat Dessert First!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Ninja 650R Candy Plasma Blue (Blue Thing) -SOLD
2013 F3 675 Red/Silver (Velocita) -SOLD
2014 899 Panigale Red (John Wayne)
2016 F3 675 RC #26 (Luisella)
2015 KTM RC 390 Cup
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down plastic and ethanol?

Mojo Mike;
pre '10 F4s have steel tanks
i'm in agreement with Ed on the '08 Brutale, although you have to get all the pump plate bolts started, before you tighten any of them, the tank lines certainly aren't as clean as the F4's steel tank though

'04 Aprilia....stupid Acerbis plastic tank, had to drill the pump plate bolt holes out.....no way they would fit
getting the tank back on the bike isn't a walk in the park either

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but the tank on my F3 is showing signs of ethanol distortion. I hadnít seen another until this past weekend when we found the same ripples visible on Rogerís custom yellow F3 tank. On both our bikes these ripples are in the same location. They run from the edge of the roll over on the sides, (the area that sticks out above the side inserts) about an inch or two across the top flat. It almost looks like someone placed their fingers on that area when the tank was soft and it hardened that way.
Anyone else with an F3 notice the same or other problems? If so have you talked to your dealer and what if any was their response?

the Dreamer
(a.k.a. Dreamin' Stephen)
Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 PM

Silly question but: Don't most cars have plastic fuel tanks (and have for ages?) why don't motorcycle manufacturers make the internal lining out of the same stuff????

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life" #58

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran323 View Post
Silly question but: Don't most cars have plastic fuel tanks (and have for ages?) why don't motorcycle manufacturers make the internal lining out of the same stuff????
Lots of vehicles have plastic fuel tanks....but most are not visible and a painted cosmetic component, so if they deform or distort it is not a big problem.

The Italians could use a plastic that is not subject to ethanol absorption, but so far seem to not be worrying about the US Ethanol gas mistake.

I personally blame the US government and the well funded ethanol lobby for these problems...we should be suing them (the ethanol lobby) for the damages they are causing to our machines.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

Maybe they could borrow tank tech from Ducati, who HAD to solve the problem...

http://www.girardgibbs.com/ducati/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode