Canadian Newb! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Canadian Newb!

Hey all... I was just wondering if anyone knows of an Agusta dealer in Canada... If there is no dealer in Canada has anyone managed to get an Agusta past the border, insured and registered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Smile

I can't answer your question, but welcome to the site anyway!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 PM

No dealers in Canada yet. I know MV is working on getting a network setup there however. If you search, you will find another Canadian that brought one across the border however this past year.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm actually considering returning to Canada from the UK. (I lived in Ottawa '97-'00.) So I've been looking into importing my MV. The short answer is that according to Transport Canada's website - it can't be done.

Link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

There's a list of vehicle manufacturers and models of bikes designed for the US market that Canada accepts as importable. No MV is on there. They stress that importing a bike that's not on the list is a criminal offence. You couldn't even get it through customs as a lounge ornament.

The only way it seems it might be possible is to strip it of it's lights and import it as a restricted category vehicle (like a snowmobile or quad-bike) for use on the track. Putting the lights on again afterwards would make it illegal and could be seized from you. It's possible that even that wouldn't be enough if they consider it to be a bike built for the road, and not for the track. (So importing a Veltro is doable - but you'll never plate it.)

Of course, like anything, you can probably find a way around it if you're lucky and your local DMV are clueless, which I'm guessing the already mentioned owner did - but he may have dispensation from TC if it's part of a testing or homologation program they're running, which is what one of my friend's neighbours does over there. He gets all sorts of exotics prior to them being cleared for the Canadian market. But then TC covers his insurance also. You wouldn't be able to insure it as it wont be on anyone's lists.

So, it appears that if I do move back, my MV has to get sold first.

Oh, there is *one* way it can be done: as a visitor to Canada on a temporary permit. If I returned to Canada on a work or study visa, of fixed duration, I could bring my MV with me. But it cannot be sold, (criminal offense), and I have no idea how I'd go about insuring it, (worldwide cover from the UK?) Not sure in that case whether it retains it's UK plate or if the DMV issue a temporary one.

Si

PS. I have a Duc 748 that I exported from Canada that I could take back with me, but even then I would have to prove it was 100% standard (which it's not and cannot be returned to) and I have to get another set of bi-lingual notice stickers for it.)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras
Hey all... I was just wondering if anyone knows of an Agusta dealer in Canada... If there is no dealer in Canada has anyone managed to get an Agusta past the border, insured and registered?

welcome to the site
please tell us more about yourself
such as.... you FIRST name

i can't help you on that question, either.... but, a first post ought to be introducing yourself

i'm glad you are here
please say and appropriate HELLO and contribute often

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Red face

No MV's in Canada, that's sad

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer
I'm actually considering returning to Canada from the UK. (I lived in Ottawa '97-'00.) So I've been looking into importing my MV. The short answer is that according to Transport Canada's website - it can't be done.

Link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

There's a list of vehicle manufacturers and models of bikes designed for the US market that Canada accepts as importable. No MV is on there. They stress that importing a bike that's not on the list is a criminal offence. You couldn't even get it through customs as a lounge ornament.

The only way it seems it might be possible is to strip it of it's lights and import it as a restricted category vehicle (like a snowmobile or quad-bike) for use on the track. Putting the lights on again afterwards would make it illegal and could be seized from you. It's possible that even that wouldn't be enough if they consider it to be a bike built for the road, and not for the track. (So importing a Veltro is doable - but you'll never plate it.)

Of course, like anything, you can probably find a way around it if you're lucky and your local DMV are clueless, which I'm guessing the already mentioned owner did - but he may have dispensation from TC if it's part of a testing or homologation program they're running, which is what one of my friend's neighbours does over there. He gets all sorts of exotics prior to them being cleared for the Canadian market. But then TC covers his insurance also. You wouldn't be able to insure it as it wont be on anyone's lists.

So, it appears that if I do move back, my MV has to get sold first.

Oh, there is *one* way it can be done: as a visitor to Canada on a temporary permit. If I returned to Canada on a work or study visa, of fixed duration, I could bring my MV with me. But it cannot be sold, (criminal offense), and I have no idea how I'd go about insuring it, (worldwide cover from the UK?) Not sure in that case whether it retains it's UK plate or if the DMV issue a temporary one.

Si

PS. I have a Duc 748 that I exported from Canada that I could take back with me, but even then I would have to prove it was 100% standard (which it's not and cannot be returned to) and I have to get another set of bi-lingual notice stickers for it.)
All of this is true. Fortunately, there are two rays of hope I can offer: MV (well, sorta) is currently going through the process with Transport Canada to get the bike on the RIV list which would make it legal for import--that might happen in the next few months. Unfortunately for you, that will only cover 2006 and newer model years. Otherwise, the bike has to be 15 years old to be exempt from the rules you described.

There are other ways you could use to get the bike in, but it would be non-trivial, and you would have to be lucky to get it licensed. I will leave it at that... you can pm me if you want details. Usual caveats apply: I am not a lawyer, and I am just saying that I can think of ways of circumventing the process. If you follow them and get busted, tough.

And to forestall any obvious questions: the rules changed (for the worse) since I brought mine to Canada.

2005 MV Agusta F4 1000 AGO
2006 Suzuki GSXR750
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras
Hey friend,
write here:
http://www.mvagusta.com/_vti_g2_cUs.aspx?rpstry=23_

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
welcome to the site
please tell us more about yourself
such as.... you FIRST name

i can't help you on that question, either.... but, a first post ought to be introducing yourself

i'm glad you are here
please say and appropriate HELLO and contribute often
Sorry about that.. My name is Trevor... Thanks for all the replies and information. They've been a great help!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Established Member

Hey,

I guess i am one of the lucky ones that got an 05 F4 into Canada. Anyhow, i talked with the prospective marketing company, that will be handling MV's in Canada, and as of yet, no definite timeline on Canadian entry. Ferracci has North America rights on distribution, so you might want to squeeze them for info. In all honest, they have been saying "A few more months" for almost two years...but good things come to those who wait....

IM me if you want more info....But the others are right, until the MV is on the RIV list in Canada (http://www.riv.ca) you wont get one in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode