Talk me out of it - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Talk me out of it

So from day one my 1090 has been giving me all sorts of issues. It was away at the shop for two months waiting for a dash, the gas tank leaked and expanded which cracked the paint, the rear turn signals stopped working, and the rear brake doesn't work at all which the dealer told me is just an engineering fault that nothing can be done about. When I'm riding the bike I adore it, but the small quirks scare me to the point I am talking to the dealer about trading for a Tuono V4R. I just really don't want something stupid to happen and me not have a bike to ride all summer. Opinions? Obviously this is an MV forum so we are all a little biased. Just wanna get what everyone else's experiences have been.

"Aerodynamics are for those who do not know how to make horsepower." -Enzo Ferrari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:10 PM

Sorry to hear that you got so many problems....

But a Tuono V4R???? Hey man, that thing really is ugly . It's got a good chassis and an engine that sound very very good. But the look of that thing just is a no-go imho.

If it came like this one I would have certainly got one:

This has been a concept.

So long
Jochen

I motori sono come le donne, bisogna saperli toccare nelle parti piu' sensibili.......
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2018 Brutale 800RR
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM

If its new or used from a dealer then it should be replaced or fixed totally by them, they have a 2 year warranty from new. But it was second hand from a private sale then I guess you have a problem. If some dealer will give you a good trade on your lemon, take it. Riding is risky enough without worrying the bike will fail on you.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Josh I've a 1078rr and I just love it. Before I got it ..the motorcycle press and general dealership attitude tended to be unfavourable talking about unreliability etc. However undeterred I really wanted one ...so I got it.
Yes they do have their 'quirks' and the day after I got it much to my embarrassment it stalled at a set of traffic lights when I was about to 'take off' in full view of an 'audience' and WOULD NOT start. What have I done? entered my head as I had to have the bike brought home by a breakdown van.
It turned out to be nothing more than a flat battery.
It occasionally becomes 'lazy' to start when hot as described in a recent thread http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52753.... I've never gotten to the bottom of that.

It's probably THE most 'thirsty' bike I've ever owned....and I've spent a fortune on various upgrades etc.
There is currently no dealership in my country now.., and parts availability.....,well??.

I've 2 other bikes (a Honda and a Suzuki) that I can just jump on and never a single 'concern' enters my head when I do so.

Having said all of the above the Brutale 1078rr is without question my most prized possession and I absolutely love it.
No bike I've ever owned gives me the shear thrill of owning.,admiring and riding as this one does. And I've stated here many times.....I'll never.., Never sell it.
It stirs my emotions and no matter what bike shows..,meetings, or otherwise I've attended I've yet to see a bike I'd prefer.
It's the envy of whoever sees it and that is evident in the eyes of 'others' when I'm asked 'what do you ride'?.
I don't need to be... 'talked in or out of it' ...mines a keeper...,no matter what!.
Brian.

Last edited by BG Wells; 05-27-2013 at 05:02 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:23 PM

New Site Garage
"...the rear brake doesn't work at all which the dealer told me is just an engineering fault that nothing can be done about."

That seems like a pretty major engineering fault when it comes to a safety system. If replacing the master cylinder, brake line and caliper can't fix it, then how does anyone with a 1090RR have back brakes?!?

On the other hand, the Tuono V4R APRC is an amazing machine, but I'd be scared of it turning into a robot. It was my alternate to the 1090R, but the MV just looks so nice.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up reliable?

19,000 miles on a '08 910R......

1 low beam bulb, thats it!
nothing has fallen off or broken either
valve cover leaks ~2 drops PER month
no battery tender either

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM

+100 Brian

cheers eddy
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 PM

mirror fell off

Wow..this is scary! I was shocked at mirror coming off. I would not expect that to happen on the cheapest bike out there. I just did over 1000 miles with no other issues though. Scary that to think I could have broken down. Also, I noticed it keeps slipping into neutral. Even in higher gears, it would get stuck between gears and the engine would spin super fast.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanobrutale View Post
Wow..this is scary! I was shocked at mirror coming off. I would not expect that to happen on the cheapest bike out there. I just did over 1000 miles with no other issues though. Scary that to think I could have broken down. Also, I noticed it keeps slipping into neutral. Even in higher gears, it would get stuck between gears and the engine would spin super fast.
Haha thanks for reminding me! The mirrors don't stay in their set position either. I fixed that though. I just do feel like I got a lemon, I feel like the dealer feels the same way as they told me they would do everything they can to help me out. As far as stirring my soul goes, nothing has ever come close to the feeling I had with my 910 brutale. Something about the pre MY2010 bikes. They felt more visceral and raw. The new ones feel shoddy and neutered. I have just yet to fall in love with it. Don't get me wrong it is an incredible bike but it doesn't pull at my heart strings enough to justify the frustration it seems to want to cause me. I don't know, obviously the Brutale is the best looking bike out there and the craftsmanship is top notch, but that Tuono is a nice number as well. Tough call, I'll have to see what the dealer can do for me price wise. Thank you everyone for your input.

"Aerodynamics are for those who do not know how to make horsepower." -Enzo Ferrari
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmanjr7 View Post
So from day one my 1090 has been giving me all sorts of issues. It was away at the shop for two months waiting for a dash, the gas tank leaked and expanded which cracked the paint, the rear turn signals stopped working, and the rear brake doesn't work at all which the dealer told me is just an engineering fault that nothing can be done about. When I'm riding the bike I adore it, but the small quirks scare me to the point I am talking to the dealer about trading for a Tuono V4R. I just really don't want something stupid to happen and me not have a bike to ride all summer. Opinions? Obviously this is an MV forum so we are all a little biased. Just wanna get what everyone else's experiences have been.
My brutale. will never match the build quality or reliability of my yamaha.
Its like a running joke tbh

Nice bikes, but not worth anything near what we pay for them.

Weigh it up your self....

Personally, anything BUT Japanese seems to have issues....

+80

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode