mirrors legal or not in QLD - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

mirrors legal or not in QLD

OK Guys, got pulled over today by a motobike cop,now he reckons my bar end crg mirrors are illegal ,I have the curved triangler looking ones,honestly i have tried looking it up online ,what a load of crap.

Could not find shit,anyone on here no the laws in queensland,He did not book me,as I was a nice boy to him.He was saying that they had to be 120mm long and some other crap,but then i told him mine where curved and gave great viewing over the crappy mv mirrors. your thoughts?

cheers eddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 AM

New Site Garage
mirrors legal or not in QLD

eddypro,

I think it's to do with the height above the bars/road. They don't give a shit whether visions any good so long as the specs are right.

Cheers

Deano
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Dean ,mine are facing up ,there not sitting downwards,But I did find this http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t...regs/r081e.pdf

I have just sent crg an email concerning this and the link ,maybe they can work out the formula,buggered if i know.
cheers eddy
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 10:20 AM

What if you ask someone that does RWC for bikes they should know?

Last edited by bstar360; 04-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:51 PM
cus

Really, haven`t they got anything better to do, like catching people running red lights or generally being a dick. Surely if they work better that`s what matters. Common sense aint that common. Phaark.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 05:22 PM

Did he discuss it with you Eddy? As far as I know, most of the nice aftermarket mirrors are too small. There is a ADR standard relating to the square cms of area. Ozzy got pinged with Rizoma/Triumph barend mirrors for this reason.
Apart from that, they can ping you for 'having a dangerous modification'. Very grey area and open to the popo's interpretation, originally it was aimed at spikes and crap like that, but has been used for carbon fibre bonnets. Beats me why they don't ping bullbars on 4WD's.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Yep, John so true ,now how the hell did the standard pre y10 mirrors ever get passed,could not see crap out of them.I can see more out of these mirrors ,much safer.

I am still going into Main roads .

cheers eddy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 AM

Some of these cops pull over bikers to check out what exotic machinery we're riding because they can!! And they hope to spot a "fault" to raise some more revenue for a desperate and greedy government!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 AM

Australian Design Rule (ADR) No. 14 – Rear Vision Mirrors

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L02663

If you can work out the general dimensions needed, let me know.

Whoever designs these rules should also realise that in some cases - ie. with the CRG Arrows and many other mirrors - they provide FAR BETTER rear view than the stock mirrors.

Most riders replace their mirrors so they CAN see better.

With the stock mirrors, you see your elbows and partial views (40-60% ?) of the cars behind you.

With the CRG's you actually see 95% of the cars behind you !

It would be very interesting for someone (Eddypro??) to challenge this in court.

If you can prove your mirrors allow better visibility than the stock mirrors, then surely this is the safer and better option ???
What a totally pathetic Australian Design Rule !

Also, the Dealers / Retailers / Manufacturers should state that these mirrors are illegal (especially in Australia), so you do not 'waste' your money trying to be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe and take care.

GETEC - Glenn
Vivere il sogno !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by getec; 05-06-2013 at 06:57 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Established Member

Would have thought anything other than stock is illegal unless its Australian approved.

Deano.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode