Frame Paint vs. Powdercoating - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Frame Paint vs. Powdercoating

I'm trying to decide whether to powder coat my frame and wheels are use paint. I know how durable powder coating is, I've done a complete car frame and suspension components. It's a great durable finish, but I'm worried about color matching and cost involved, replacing bearings...

Does MV paint the frames? The FAQ lists paint codes for the frame, so I'd have to believe they do. http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/11/paint-codes.html In fact, I have a rub mark from my shark skinz. I guess powder coating would be more durable in that aspect, but paint I could touch up too. I'm tempted to give paint a try and redo it in a year or two if I don't like it.

Thoughts?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:51 AM

You can paint and use a high end heavy duty clear coat, if you want to match it exactly. The clear coat will make it more durable. (you can also clear coat powder coat too). I believe all stock stuff are painted.
Not sure why you refered to your Shakskiz, but I'm sure you know you cannot powder coat plastics(?).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamranmarashi
Not sure why you refered to your Shakskiz, but I'm sure you know you cannot powder coat plastics(?).
I meant to say my Shark Skinz bodywork rubbed off some of the paint on my frame.

Thanks.

Jack
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladio
I meant to say my Shark Skinz bodywork rubbed off some of the paint on my frame.

Thanks.
If you go to any paint shop, they can give you a compound that rubs it right off. (If they feel helpful?)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:58 AM

Hi Jack,

If I went through all that trouble I'd powdercoat. Even worth the extra work at the mating surfaces IMO.

I can't wait to see what you come up with

Nothing is powdercoated from factory that I've ever heard about.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM

Hey, Jack

I have powdercoated a few of my frames and I think it's the way to go for durability. I chose what they preferred to as lawnmower red. Match my Ducati red perfectly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 PM

Typically powder coating is cheaper and much tougher. Around $90 for a tray that is 3'x5'. the surcharge for "trying" to match the paint is another $90 or so. So for $180 you can fit a lot of parts on the 3'x5' tray to be powder coated. Of course to clear coat over the powder coat would be extra. Clear coat is typically what gives the paint job the "wet" look.

Also powder coat cannot come in contact with hard industrial cleaning compound. where as clear coat resist any kind of cleaning compound.

By the way, Ducati red is different than MV red.

Last edited by kamranmarashi; 02-21-2006 at 09:58 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Spoke to a coater yesterday, I'm going to try and stop by his shop to check colors. I know in the past that the colors available are very limited. I'll see what I can do. He did describe a way to mask off portions using a silicone-based product. I wasn't sure what was available for powdercoating. Last time I priced front wheel bearing they were around $70, can't remember if that's per side, I think that's the set.

Rough estimate right now is $300 for wheels and frame.

My plan was to paint the swingarm and frame plates like the Ago and Tamburini. Now I'm considering getting those powder coated too but I definitely don't want a gloss on those, more of a satin look.

Jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode