New and a bit worried ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

New and a bit worried ?

Ok, i stepped into a Triumph dealer today to look at the Speed Triple R... and came away with the view of a Brutale 910R in my mind, the Speed was too tall for me and too fat for me, they had an 2007 mint 910R in and sitting on it was lovely, just the right seat height and a nice reach to the bars. I currently ride a Honda Fireblade 954 (2002), but am thinking of going back to a sit up naked bike.

I keep reading that the 910R is not the most reliable bike, this is not good as i will be using it to ride to work and back, so having a Honda has given me a certainty when starting it in the morning, will i find a Brutale a bit unreliable ?

Also i have been looking at a 990R on the net and note the seat height has increase.... i am hobbit size ! Is there any way to lower these bikes ? Any information on the Brutale range would be grateful as the different models are a bit confusing at the moment.... but this 910R just looked stunning, i have never seen an MV on the road, which is really nice from an exclusivity point of view, am i being a bit over sensitive and should i consider a Brutale over the good ' ole ' Honda ? My next idea (after the failure of the Speed) was a Honda CB1000R, This is just the right bike for me, great seat height and bar position.... but it does not look like the 910R,990R,1090R Etc Etc.

Any info much appreciated, and i am in the UK.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum, Hudson.

I've had my 2007 910R (Euro3) since January 2010. It was a demo first registered in Sept 08.

Whilst I have spent a lot of time and some dough getting the tuning right, it's never let me down, be it for commuting, weekend rides, track days or week-long trips. Even when not tuned quite right it was a joy to ride.

In my experience, the more you ride it the more reliable it gets. They are beautiful machines which like action, not rest.

You will find lots on info on the site, from people a lot more tech savvy than I am. Just trawl through threads using the search function.

Cheerio.

Michel

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:33 AM

Hi Hudson
I had the Honda cb1000r, then the Speed triple now the 990r.
I'm 5'5 but don't have hairy feet.
Honda was great but not great brakes, great long trips and commuting. Just a bit boring.
The Speed Triple sold me on its awesome breaks on a test ride, but I found it difficult to handle its top heavy weight at low speeds, nearly got blown off a number of times at lights. Handle great on windy roads but after riding my friends Tuono saw how gutless it is. Not the bet bike for smaller builds I think, but a great bike I feel.
Now the 990r, I wouldn't buy a model before 2010 personally, is full of Italian design foibles that make doing things like, topping up coolant, a pain, but hells bells it's fun, beautiful, sexy, full of spunk.
On paper as heavy as Triple but way easier to handle, I can do things on this I wouldn't dream of on the triumph. On paper as tall too, but because of the balance I don't feel like I will topple over standing still. Way more punch on a heavy throttle,hang on tightly.
I plan on getting the 1090rr someday when I can afford it. As long as I can get a cool simple color scheme, not gold.
Hope this helps a bit.
Jon

Last edited by aiki; 05-10-2014 at 09:26 PM.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 04:26 AM

Hi Hudson . I'm in the uk and used to have a street triple, superb bike I rode it across Europe several times and its size was perfect for me . I'm fairly short also .
I test rode a 2011 Brutale 920 and that was it I was hooked and had to have it . It was like a posher faster version of the street . I would have loved a 1090rr for the the better looks and paint but the 920 is more than powerful enough for me and has been awesome. For me the best bit of the bike is the suspension, so supple and soaks up the crappy potholed roads of the uk .
My dad has a speed triple and couldnt believe how much better the MV was over bumps, cats eyes etc than the trumpet .
I rode it to Italy last year for a week and have now done just under 5k miles, it's been spot on and the 4k mile service was cheaper than my triumph ! . The nearest dealer to me is about an hour and a half away .
There are some real 920 bargains to be had at the moment Bennetts had a new pre reg one for 8k . I bought mine from Robinsons of Rochdale which was a 600 miles round trip but it was definately worth it . There seems more dealers up north than down south where I am . If your local to me your more than welcome to come and have a go on mine if you like .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .

Last edited by doggy; 04-14-2013 at 04:29 AM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 04:33 AM
cus

G`day Hudson, the ride height is easy to adjust with the rear ride height adjuster and by sliding the forks through the triple clamps. You still wont have corner clearance issues, if some thing is dragging on a brutale you have fallen off.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
Thanks for all that, i am about 15 miles from Robinsons in Rochdale, i live close to the Trafford Centre (Manchester way for all you south types )

Nice to hear about the bike, so the general opinion appears to be get a model from 2010 onwards (i assume the build quality etc improved then ?), But which model would you get.....
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 AM

Get the version that has the best specs you can afford. Be aware they drink a lot more gas than the Speed or the Honda Predator. Worth it though.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

The fuel issue is not such a problem, i don't work too far away and on the rubbish weather days i will be taking my car. I think the availability of used models could be an issue, being exclusive just means there are less of them about to buy !!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:38 PM

You could buy my 920 and then i can buy a 1090RR .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy View Post
You could buy my 920 and then i can buy a 1090RR .
That would be a good idea but i went to see a 920 and although its lovely it does not have the colours that the 1090 has.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode