Using Optimate 4 Connector to connect battery to bike - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Using Optimate 4 Connector to connect battery to bike

Hi there,

Here is my problem: I use my bike not regularly and it is parked in a parking with no AC plug. Therefore I always remove the battery and bring it home to keep it charged on the AC via an Optimate 4. Drawback of this is that I need to screw and unscrew the battery in order to put in place the Optimate connectors and then plug the battery back to the motorbike electric cables.

My idea was to always keep the Optimate connectors screwed to the battery and, on the motorbike side, connect the + and - of the bike to cables joining themselves into an Optimate female connector. This way I would simply unplug my battery from the Optimate, walk down with my battery and connect it directly the Optimate female connector linked to the motorbike wiring, without having any screw to unscrew and rescrew.

My question is as follows: is there any electric risk in doing that? I know that the engine sucks up a lot of the battery when starting the engine and am not sure that the Optimate connectors can hold such electric power.

Thanks in advance for your help.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Sorry, won't work. You need those large gauge cables to carry the starter current loads....and even the regular loads need a slightly larger wire gauge.

Now if you could fab up an Anderson type high current plug onto the bike harness and to appropriate cables to the battery, with charger leads in parallel, that would work.

Many race bikes have this type connector for starting with a very small battery and light gauge wires for running the bike after disconnecting the starting power source.

http://www.andersonpower.com/product...onnectors.html

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 04-11-2013 at 05:57 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi,

Thanks for that. I was indeed thinking about replacing the optimate wiring anc connectors into heavy duty ones so that they could work to both charge the battery when using the optimate and being used to start the engine. What cable section do you think I need? The battery is an 8Amp so not a problem, but what type of watts do I need? Do you think a 1.5mm2 cable would be good enough? I then thought about this kind of connectors: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...oof-connectors They can hold 20 Amp and 1.5mm2 wires and are water proof. Would that work?

Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 AM

New Site Garage
It's about the Cranking amperage mate, those cables need to carry about 220A if I'm not mistaken. It would be much easier to install a battery isolating switch on your bike, under the seat. That way your batterie won't go flat so fast.

This is the type of connection Ed was reffering to I think.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 04-11-2013 at 06:31 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Old Wing Nut

That's the ticket Donsy.....

Starter current draw can hit well over 200 amps momentarily when the button is pressed. Constant cranking current will run around 80~90 amps. The cables must be at least the same gauge as the ones on the bike now (8 gauge?).

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks guy. I am looking at the SBS120 (http://store.andersonpower.com/detail.aspx?ID=254) which would probably be sufficient as I understand it can hold 120 Amp per wire. However, looks to me that they sell the female housing but not the male housing... I am missing something?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Old Wing Nut

Usually sold as a pair.....that looks like a replacement male plug for an electric golf car charger.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

My mistake, called them and the SBS connectors are neither male nor female. I need to buy two of the same ones and one slide into the other one when flipped over. Just need to take care of + vs - when installing the cables.
I think I am getting close but these connectors are really big... 10cm long, 5cm wide and 2cm high when connected together... will take quite some room under the seat...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode