differences in model years. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

differences in model years.

Looking at getting an 2010 F4 and was wondering what the differences are between the 09 and lower and 10 and over. does it still have a failing rear hub? well nuts no longer a issue? are there new problems with the new models? just trying to make a determination to go new school or old school. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
I can only comment on the hub.The upgraded hub on Y10 models are OK so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegen View Post
Looking at getting an 2010 F4 and was wondering what the differences are between the 09 and lower and 10 and over. does it still have a failing rear hub? well nuts no longer a issue? are there new problems with the new models? just trying to make a determination to go new school or old school. Thanks guys
The biggest difference is quality. There's an inverse relationship with quality and technology as you move up in the years. More technology but more cost cutting measures.

The biggest issue for me on the newer bikes (2010+) is the fuel tank that swells when you use E10 fuel which is the only kind of fuel you can get in most populated cities in the USA. So far MV has no solution to this problem and some have mentioned that coating the tank will void warranty coverage. Hopefully MV will come up with a cure soon. Problematic hubs are nothing in comparison to the fuel tank issues.

On the older bikes Mitchy has come up with a simply awesome replacement hub and none of them have ever failed. He's even super good about supporting people who buy his hubs used.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Robert,thank you for the compliment,much appreciated.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Robert,thank you for the compliment,much appreciated.
Mitchy. No problem.

Your hubs rock. The fact your a super nice guy is just icing on the cake.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase View Post
Mitchy. No problem.

Your hubs rock. The fact your a super nice guy is just icing on the cake.
+1 I have Mitch's hub No 61 on my 2007 F4R and it's provided endless relief from the worry about the stock hub (which is still OK, fortunately). An easy and worthwhile upgrade to the pre 2010 models.

Personally, I prefer the earlier styling, especially in the classic red/silver colors. Seems more raw and wild than the newer models, even if they are technically more advanced.

Eric
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Agreed. I prefer the pre 2010 models. 2010 and newer look more jap. If I were to use 93 octane with zero ethanol would it still cause issues? Guessing no

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Own 2010 F4
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Don't jap bikes have plastic tanks too but don't have this issue? What's causing the swelling? Is the swelling guaranteed?

Own 2010 F4
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed. I prefer the pre 2010 models. 2010 and newer look more jap. If I were to use 93 octane with zero ethanol would it still cause issues? Guessing no

It's the ethanol that causes the issues with the tank. So using a non ethanol fuel would be optimal. The problem is finding it. The EPA has pretty much made ethanol fuel impossible to find in any large metro area. Here in Atlanta you either have to go way north of the city or way south to find it. Additionally the additives don't help much. With the rumblings of E15 coming into the market this is quite an interesting time for sure.

If you prefer the pre 2010 model bikes you can save a ton of money and buy used. The earlier models also come with a metal gas tank that is not affected by the ethanol fuel. Many people here mention that early 750's are going for the 6 to 7K range (I have yet to find one that cheap myself). A more recent 1000cc version could be had for around 10-12K. Other than the rear hub and fuel fittings these bikes are quite reliable and are built to last. Quite honestly my 2002 750 has given me less problems than my Japanese sport bikes of the same vintage. The important thing to keep in mind when buying used is the bike's history. Spend the extra money for one that's been loved and it will pay dividends in the future.

I wish you the very best of luck with whatever F4 you end up with!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't jap bikes have plastic tanks too but don't have this issue? What's causing the swelling? Is the swelling guaranteed?

Indeed. Many other bikes affected. More info here.

http://deformedfueltanks.com/

The swelling is caused by the ethanol attacking the plastic in the tank. Your results may vary but many people have had issues. The F4's tank shape and the way it fits closely with the air box makes it VERY noticeable when it happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode