Tie down methods for y10 F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Tie down methods for y10 F4

Hey just a question on tie down methods. I have to transport my F4 600km on the back of my ute.... Looking for the best way to tie it diwn without damaging anything

Is it alright to maching a shaft to go through the front axle (tight fit) probly from nylon and use that to secure the front then just tie down the rear? Or could that damage the front wheel bearing ?

Thoughts guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 PM

New Site Garage
I don't see anything wrong with going through the front axle, it won't do anything to the bearings. And for the rear get one of those rear tyre strap down bra's. I'll look for a picture for you in a moment.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Established Member

I bought a strap the slips over both handlebar grips and has a D-ring under each handle loop. The two handle loops are coupled together via cinch strap. I then connect straps to the d-rings to eyelets in my trailer. Works great...love it. Little pricy, but well worth it IMHO.

Joe Johnson...."In God we trust, all others bring data"

2010 - MV Agusta F4 / 2008 - Aprilia RSVR Factory / 2008 - Triumph 675 Daytona Special Edition / 2012 Victory XC Tour
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up

This is what I meant about the back wheel strap down - http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/TDAC/TDTD1401.html

There is a mob that sell's these in WA, you'll just have to google it, I bought mine from a local Bunbury bike shop mate.
If you brace your front-end through the axle, this will sort the back with no pressure on the suspension.

In Aus - http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/catalo...%20and%20Ramps
and here - http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/T...oad-Large.html

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Last edited by Donsy; 03-28-2013 at 10:55 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cheers, that will b the go then just wanted to b sure i wasnt going to put to much shock through the axle. Thought it would b alright, will design something pretty cool for the shaft to mount to
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 AM

I use the rear wheel/tyre tie down as the primary system and the secondary system is a strap over the front axle or the mudguard attachment points (depends on the bike and the F4 isn't handy to check) which is similar to the front axle solution mentioned . This method ensures that there is a back up system in case one fails (human error or tie down failure) and doesn't load up the suspension.

The handle bar tie downs should only be used as the secondary system as this type can damage grips, clip-ons or switches and has been reported to have damaged frames. I also use the Ventura front wheel stand (or similar) making it really easy to fit the tie downs.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmevi125s View Post
The handle bar tie downs should only be used as the secondary system as this type can damage grips, clip-ons or switches and has been reported to have damaged frames.
Any reference on this? Thanks.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Banned

Here in the states there's a product called a "Canyon Dancer" that goes over the bars to provide mounting points. They work rather well but you have to be a bit careful with the ratchet straps because they will bend your clip on's if your not careful. I have used them in the back of pickup trucks and they are great for holding the bike stable. Even with an overzealous friend behind the wheel.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Established Member

I use a fabric version of the tyredown which I got from Aldi and then additional tiedowns of rear pegs and bars for safety.

In my falcon ute i had 2 additional tie down points mounted in the back with removable pins that I got from Torpedo7 pretty cheap and they were easy to mount. did a good job
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 AM

New Site Garage
Post One of the best I've seen.

Is this method, also good for the MV. but I don't think Hennesy would like to bolt that to the back of his Ute.
http://www.pit-bull.com/trailer-restraint.shtml
If I had the money this is what I would get.

There was another system that holds the bike by the footpegs, CAG has them, and that was quite impressive, can't remember the name.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode