Accident learnings? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Accident learnings?

With the new season closing in, it might be useful to look back at previous seasons where accidents happened. Why? No one likes talking about them.
True, but if we can learn from them, perhaps whilst they cannot be ruled out completely, it's possible that we might be able to reduce the reoccurance.

Before folks start mentioning non fault accidents, this thread is more about looking at yourself. It's easy to blame ice, salt, mud and diesel, but sometimes, just sometimes, we screw up.

I had a few close calls before having 2 high sides, the most recent being October 2011. What I hope I've learned is to always treat roundabouts and their exits and entry points the respect the surface conditions need with respect to oil and diesel on the surface and not to power down too early otherwise you soon meet the rear wheel coming round

I also learned early on not to overtake with right turns ahead and indeed when vehicles fail to indicate an intended right turn and commence the turn whilst putting in an overtake with no escape path......I shit myself that day back in 2005

Have you been off?
How about sharing and learning from it?

Last edited by MV BOY; 03-16-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 02:24 PM

New Site Garage
Do I need to?? Some people will start to ask about the ditch...

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 PM

If a track was in the condition of British roads with potholes, diesel, members of the public in the lane, gravel, leaves etc then the race would be stopped. Therefore I don't race on the roads..

Some say that's boring . I don't give a flying one what they say or what they think ; )

joe
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Whats all this about "season" thats your biggest problem you don't ride enough.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 PM

I was confused a little bit about the right turn thing till I looked at your location.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydicky View Post
Whats all this about "season" thats your biggest problem you don't ride enough.
I ride all year

You can't be a real biker if you've never had an off moment or a close call.....or you don't get out enough

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamb View Post
I was confused a little bit about the right turn thing till I looked at your location.
Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Banned

Ironic that this topic pops up. I had a close call yesterday on my FZR400. Even on roads that you know well construction crews can pop in and change things on you. Entering a sharp blind hair pin that I love to exit at high speed I see a section of the turn that had been jackhammered up and there's gravel in it instead of pavement. After the initial holy crap moment I picked the bike up and altered the line so I could ride over it without being as aggressively leaned over. When riding on public roads one has to be prepared for the unexpected. Riding 100% committed to a turn is never a great idea as you never know what's waiting for you even on roads you know well.

It's kind of disturbing sometimes to see the threads where people blame other factors other than themselves. Ultimately when an accident happens it's the riders fault. You were either going too fast for your specific skill set or you failed to leave yourself an "out" in a case where something unexpected happens. Playing the blame game never lets you improve or become a safer rider.

Youtube is an endless source of amusement for "blame game" scenarios. One of my favorites is where a rider is going way too fast and does not expect a human obstacle in the road. Instead of blaming himself he blames others. Perhaps he was going too fast? Would it have been any different if it had been a tree limb or other item in the road? Moral of the story. Expect the unexpected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Gc-3w_nJo

Last edited by rchase; 03-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
If a track was in the condition of British roads with potholes, diesel, members of the public in the lane, gravel, leaves etc then the race would be stopped. Therefore I don't race on the roads..

Some say that's boring . I don't give a flying one what they say or what they think ; )

joe
Pretty much. I'm much the same way myself.

I was doing a comfortable speed in heavy traffic on the interstate the other day and watched a group of squids pass me lane splitting between cars at 100+mph. They were probably saying to themselves "look at the slow guy on the MV". That's fine with me. I'm not willing to take that kind of risk on public roads.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:12 PM

and at the same time it's not good to be bored cuz then we can switch off and ride on auto-pilot and that's not good either...

joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode