The original brand of legend - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

The original brand of legend

A Superbike Planet article on today's test at Daytona in which they refer to MV as "the original brand of legend in Italy"...

Click here for SuperbikePlanet article

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 AM

You were thinking Gilera?

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Apparently Superbike Planet thinks otherwise, but *I'd* call the Gilera the original Italian legend... it was essentially a Gilera motor that put MV in the record books.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee
Apparently Superbike Planet thinks otherwise, but *I'd* call the Gilera the original Italian legend... it was essentially a Gilera motor that put MV in the record books.
While true, and yes, the engine design was a ripoff... Who actually did the racing and the hard work? Gilera essentially disappeared after the ban of superchargers from what I understand, true? Gilera is the older marque and started racing earlier, but I'm not sure about this "legend" stuff.

You could make the same argument for Alfa and Ferarri, if you're into that type of thing.

'01 F4S
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Piero Remor, chief engineer at Gilera, was hired by MV then continued development on the motor there. Much the same as Tamburini's coming from Ducati in the present day and producing a newer rendition of an existing design.

Gilera dropped out of GP racing after 1957 along with all the other major Italian manufacturers - leaving MV alone in that arena to battle the English marques and their outdated motors. The supercharger ban was well prior to that.

As far as "doing the racing and the hard work" I'm not sure what you mean there. Gilera won 500cc GP titles well before MV.

And as far as the legend stuff goes, I could care less. It's just a reference to the Superbike Planet article as some might find it an interesting read.

Last edited by emmvee; 12-08-2006 at 09:38 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Established Member

Yes MV and GILERA had done a lot in the italian racing légend, but it's difficult to forget MOTO GUZZI that won more laurels than anyone else, the "bicilindrica" before war, the three and four cylinders layouts, and the marvelous V8 were not "merry go round hardware".
I love MVs but its history began at the beginnig of the forties, GUZZI first 500 OHC was lauched in 1924.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee
Piero Remor, chief engineer at Gilera, was hired by MV then continued development on the motor there. Much the same as Tamburini's coming from Ducati in the present day and producing a newer rendition of an existing design.
To be accurate, Tamburini didn't come from Ducati. Cagiva bought Ducati in the mid 80's and Tamburini came from Bimota to work for Cagiva. When Cagiva sold Ducati Tamburini remained at CRC, where incidentally a gent named Pierre Terblance worked for him. Terblance left CRC in '96 to work for Ducati where he designed the 999.

Last edited by Koop; 12-08-2006 at 05:47 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop
To be accurate, Tamburini didn't come from Ducati. Cagiva bought Ducati in the mid 80's and Tamburini came from Bimota to work for Cagiva. When Cagiva sold Ducati Tamburini remained at CRC, where incidentally a gent named Pierre Terblance worked him. Terblance left CRC in '96 to work for Ducati where he designed the 999.
Koop, great info buddy, thanks for all that
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTW36
Yes MV and GILERA had done a lot in the italian racing légend, but it's difficult to forget MOTO GUZZI that won more laurels than anyone else, the "bicilindrica" before war, the three and four cylinders layouts, and the marvelous V8 were not "merry go round hardware".
I love MVs but its history began at the beginnig of the forties, GUZZI first 500 OHC was lauched in 1924.
Very good! Yes, many wins by Moto Guzzi before MV ever built bike #1.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop
To be accurate, Tamburini didn't come from Ducati. Cagiva bought Ducati in the mid 80's and Tamburini came from Bimota to work for Cagiva. When Cagiva sold Ducati Tamburini remained at CRC, where incidentally a gent named Pierre Terblance worked him. Terblance left CRC in '96 to work for Ducati where he designed the 999.
Quite true. I was using "Ducati" in the conversational sense as few know about the distinction between Ducati and Cagiva and even fewer care. But good point!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode