Looking at a 2011 990r - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Looking at a 2011 990r

Hi there ladies and gents as you can tell this is my first post Ive been looking around here for a bit now. Well its time for a new bike im thinking about getting a 2011 990r Brutale brand new still a the dealer. Its gonna be an every day kinda bike its gonna go on longish hauls of 800km and short in town run around stuff. Ive also been looking a speed triple and street fighter 848 and the 990r seem the most comfortable of them all in the show room which is the only way i can compare them cuz theres no road test's allowed and theres a foot of snow out side. Ive got a couple questions for those that have them.

1. What are the service costs on them? include major service if you've had it done?(Im in Canada if that helps? im not sure why it will)

2. Are there any special scan tools required to reset maintenance lights? I typically do all my own service's. Are they more difficult than lets say a R6(my race bike) which i do all the work to myself.

3. Whats the reliability/build quality like on them?

4. I know is dumb but how many KM are you getting to a tank? Ive heard they get horrible fuel mileage.

5. Hows your ownership experience been would you ever buy one again ?

Thanks very much for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM

3) Best bike I've ever owned. Build quality is fantastic.

4) I'm getting about 150-160 miles per tank (being heavy handed).

5) My experience has been awesome, (albeit I have an awesome dealer doing service). I'm disappointed with myself in not trying an MV much sooner in life.

I've run as far as 350 miles in one sitting and had no issues with comfort. Fly down here and road test one and have it shipped back.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

I wish i could fly to cali. and test ride a bike and head home . That fuel mileage isnt that bad, thanks for the input its kinda helped me out we'll see if/what the others have to say.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Hello and welcome

1. Really depends on your labor rates. I have a great tech available that charges $72 an hour for regular maintenance and $100 an hour for custom work. Not had any major work done yet with almost 3.5K miles.
2. Owned an 04 and 06 R6. Really enjoyed riding and working on those bikes. Biggest complaint on my 990 was lack of easy access to a service manual. That has been remedied by Donsy (great forum member from down under). Also, there are many great forum members here that will provide sound advice. The only electronic tool I know of for these bikes is a VDST for setting the TPS. Haven't really delved into that arena yet. You can do a search for more info.
3. Fantastic build quality. Reliability has been great so far.
4. A little less than Red Baron at about 110 to 130 miles. Bike is running a little rich right now waiting on the install of a PC5. Upgraded to a full Arrow exhaust, race ECU and BMC air filter so needs a bit more tuning. That said bike stills runs great. Hard to believe an inline 4 has such a great powerband.
5. I would definitely own one again. Truly a fantastic bike. Always look back after getting off the bike. A beauty to behold. The bike just seems to be getting better mile after mile. More comfortable and smoother running. As you can probably tell really love this bike. Believe you will too.

"he's going the distance, he's going for speed"
'10 Brutale 990R ("Sophia")
'14 K1600GTL (Tour de Force)
'15 1290R (Torque monster)
'85 KZ700 (my first)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 AM

Ive just got my Brutale 990R 2010 model, new from showroom, vastly reduced in price NZ20000, down from over $30k when it first came in.
It's fantastic, I've always wanted a Brutale but they were too expensive. Started to get interested in the new 800 but the price here is $22000 which I think is a rip.
Traded in my 2011 Speed Triple, compared to the 990R it was a fat slow pig of a thing, though I liked it at the time. Being small the weight of it made it very easy to overbalance, its very top heavy, unlike the 990.
so if you can join the club.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Sent you a PM
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

To update the choice has been narrowed down to a 2010 Speed triple (half the cost of the MV with only 500km but not as pretty) and the 2011 990r Im finding it a tough tossup.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 PM

Well, you've got three months of winter left to decide...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Went on a ride yesterday with some slower paced friends managed to get 170 before the fuel light came on.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Dahulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezstu View Post
I wish i could fly to cali. and test ride a bike and head home . That fuel mileage isnt that bad, thanks for the input its kinda helped me out we'll see if/what the others have to say.
Sent you a PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode