Kalifornia, it's going to get harder to mod your bikes! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Red face Kalifornia, it's going to get harder to mod your bikes!

CARB hits Vance & Hines with $500K penalty
Publish Date: Feb 11, 2013
SANTA FE SPRINGS, Calif. - Vance & Hines settled in January with the California Air Resource Board to pay a penalty of $500,000 for selling, prior to Jan. 1, 2013, emissions-related parts not approved by the board. The exhaust maker has taken actions to ensure no further enforcement related to the parts befalls dealers or customers.

According to the notice posted on the ARB website, the board applied the penalty to about 2,000 units at about $250 per unit.

“V&H promptly and fully cooperated with ARB during the investigation, and as a result, has already implemented a compliance plan to inform its distributors, dealers and customers about the types of motorcycle exhaust systems that are legal for sale in the state,” said the CARB notice. “In addition, V&H is actively working with ARB’s Aftermarket Parts Section to ensure that all of its aftermarket critical emission control parts that are sold, offered for sale, or advertised in California obtain the necessary exemptions from ARB.”

Vance & Hines has issued its own news release in which company president Paul Langley said: “We are pleased to have resolved this matter with ARB, and to have worked out an approach that should avoid future misunderstandings about the proper use of our exhaust systems and emissions-related parts. … We are committed to ensuring that our parts fully comply with applicable air quality standards in California, and that our customers and business partners understand the appropriate fitment and uses.”

Vance & Hines said the settlement protects its distributors, dealers and customers from further claims or liability with respect to covered part sales occurring prior to Jan. 1, 2013.

The history of CARB approval for emission-related aftermarket goes back about half a decade. In 2009, at the request of the motorcycle industry, ARB adopted a process for the exemption of aftermarket “critical emission control parts” on motorcycles ridden on streets. Manufacturers of such parts (like aftermarket catalytic exhausts and oxygen sensors) must apply for and receive ARB Executive Orders that exempt the parts from California’s anti-tampering laws.

ARB has posted on its website a list of motorcycle aftermarket critical emission control parts that have received an exemption, including a couple of Vance & Hine Harley applications.

CARB also deems some products “replacement parts” that don’t require an Executive Order because they don’t affect emissions. Examples are exhaust systems for motorcycles that were certified without catalytic converters or sensors. Vance & Hines said the majority of its exhaust systems have some applications in which they can be sold and used as replacement parts.

Vance & Hines said it will be providing more instructive information through its advertisements, catalogs and website. The company is publishing detailed fitment charts to make clear for distributors, dealers and customers which parts can be installed on which models of motorcycles in which years, whether they are considered a replacement part or are covered under an Executive Order.

Vance & Hines’ $500,000 penalty is the largest for an aftermarket company since ARB fined DynoJet $1 million in 2007 for selling Power Commander III fuel management systems.

OEMs also have been paying fines recently. Yamaha, for example, settled with California in December 2012 for a $2 million penalty related to the improper importation of 2007 off-road vehicles. Suzuki settled in June of that year for a $3 million penalty, also related to off-road vehicles. About the same time, BMW got hit for $92,000 for accidentally selling about two dozen streetbikes that hadn’t been approved yet.

Posted by Arlo Redwine

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM

ah yes, good ole California. Gotta pay for those pensions some how
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 AM

meh, this really isnt anything new. its just CARB flexing its muscles to show manufacturers that they have fangs still. when they start requiring motorcycles to get smog checks, thats when we are all screwed.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Be careful California, you're supposed to be the crazy state. Pretty soon they'll be limiting you to these.
Attached Images

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM

California, the Segway State.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM

i think people overreact when they hear about california.

i have a modified car
i own more than a few rifles that our government would adorn as "assault" rifles.
i burn wood
i recycle, but only when its convenient

if you look at the track record of states and their anti gun and anti internal combustion legislation, new york is way worse than california.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
SANTA FE SPRINGS, Calif. - Vance & Hines settled in January with the California Air Resource Board to pay a penalty of $500,000 for selling, prior to Jan. 1, 2013, emissions-related parts not approved by the board.

Really it's no big deal, they got caught NOT playing by the rules.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SAVS View Post
Be careful California, you're supposed to be the crazy state. Pretty soon they'll be limiting you to these.
Eddie Izzard. Best stand up comic ever.

2013 MV Agusta F3 Red/Silver (Sonya)
2013 MV Agusta F3 Black Track/Race Only (Trinity)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsodeez View Post
i think people overreact when they hear about california.

i have a modified car
i own more than a few rifles that our government would adorn as "assault" rifles.
i burn wood
i recycle, but only when its convenient

if you look at the track record of states and their anti gun and anti internal combustion legislation, new york is way worse than california.
Agreed.

Ride fast and furious but live to ride another day!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Really it's no big deal, they got caught NOT playing by the rules.
It's not about playing by the rules, its the rules they make

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode