Cycle World Dec Issue F3 675 VS EVO 848 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cycle World Dec Issue F3 675 VS EVO 848

The CW comparison of the F3 675 and the Ducati EVO 848 picked the Duc as the better in all categories. Read it. Comments ??

Jeffo
I get along with the voices I hear in my head....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Brutale 800 brutale:
1995 Ducati 916
1999 Aprilia RS250

Goped Super GSR 46 R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goped Bigfoot

Sig Sauer
z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 AM

I fail to see the point of putting a 675 against an 848 on the track. That's like comparing a pistol to a rifle in a 50m target shoot.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 AM
Banned

Really? I thought the 848 was the bike that people who can't afford the 1098 bought? Ducati really needs to open up the engine options beyond that horrid underpowered Ltwin. I love their chassis and styling but that surging and bucking at low RPM's is a deal killer for me. A 3 or 4cyl Ducati would totally rock.

In looking for that article I found this one in 2009 where they liked the Daytona better.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/07/06...mparison-test/
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The writers said the horsepower differential was not a factor in their decision to select the Ducati. They complained about everything but the sound of the engine. I ordered a B3 800 and now I have reservations. Read it.

Jeffo
I get along with the voices I hear in my head....

2014 Brutale 800 brutale:
1995 Ducati 916
1999 Aprilia RS250

Goped Super GSR 46 R

Goped Bigfoot

Sig Sauer
z
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Banned

Until Ducati either deals with their low RPM bucking and surging or puts something other than an Ltwin in them I can't even consider them as an option no matter how "fast" they are. It's a shame too because in a lot of other areas they are nice machines and in later models they dealt with all the early desmodronic adjustment issues to make them less of an expense to keep running.

Last edited by rchase; 12-29-2012 at 05:16 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase View Post
Really? I thought the 848 was the bike that people who can't afford the 1098 bought? Ducati really needs to open up the engine options beyond that horrid underpowered Ltwin. I love their chassis and styling but that surging and bucking at low RPM's is a deal killer for me. A 3 or 4cyl Ducati would totally rock.

In looking for that article I found this one in 2009 where they liked the Daytona better.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/07/06...mparison-test/
Underpowered, really ?
Horrid, really ?
I've ridden 1098R, 1198S, 1098S and 848.....all had decent fuelling and good power for intended purpose. ..and torque. The 1098R is anything but underpowered.
It's surprising low down fuelling is a deal killer for you, considering MV's struggle over the years with the same issues.

..and your Diamonte F4 with silver star wheels looks fantastic !! Great combo !!

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.

Last edited by Velocemoto; 12-29-2012 at 07:13 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

Look at the displacement they have to use in the Ltwin vs a standard 4cyl in order to achieve the same performance. Ducati runs a 4cyl in their race bikes because they can't get the power they need out of the Ltwin's without running over the displacement for the class.

To each their own. If you can deal with an engine like that more power to you. For me that engine ruins the whole bike.

Don't get me wrong either. I don't hate all 2cyl bikes. My Harley is a Vtwin and I love it. It however has enough low end torque to pull it's 800# weight at low RPM's without bucking and surging. I'm even considering picking up a 916 and know likely it will buck and surge just like the new ones. It however is a vintage bike and some flaws like that add a bit of charm. On a new bike with a big price tag it's no longer charming. It's annoying as hell.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase View Post
Look at the displacement they have to use in the Ltwin vs a standard 4cyl in order to achieve the same performance. Ducati runs a 4cyl in their race bikes because they can't get the power they need out of the Ltwin's without running over the displacement for the class.

To each their own. If you can deal with an engine like that more power to you. For me that engine ruins the whole bike.

Don't get me wrong either. I don't hate all 2cyl bikes. My Harley is a Vtwin and I love it. It however has enough low end torque to pull it's 800# weight at low RPM's without bucking and surging. I'm even considering picking up a 916 and know likely it will buck and surge just like the new ones. It however is a vintage bike and some flaws like that add a bit of charm. On a new bike with a big price tag it's no longer charming. It's annoying as hell.
You prefer a Harley V-twin over the 1098R engine? This bucking and surging thing on the new ones you talk about, I've never really experienced it . must be poor fuelling. Consider an 996 SPS...or even stretch to 996R. Beautiful bikes

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.

Last edited by Velocemoto; 12-30-2012 at 06:06 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocemoto View Post
You prefer a Harley V-twin over the 1098R engine? This bucking and surging thing on the new ones you talk about, I've never really experienced it . must be poor fuelling. Consider an 996 SPS...or even stretch to 996R. Beautiful bikes
Yea actually I do. The Harley Vtwins can pull their own weight at low rev's and don't require as much service as the Ltwin to keep running. They also sound a lot better.

I'm sure most ducati guys don't experience the bucking and surging because they keep the revs up and feather the clutch at low speeds. In a lot of cases the Ducati logo on the side of their motorcycles is more important than something that run's correctly. I like to ride my bikes rather than use them as a fashion accessory so the bucking and surging is a deal killer for me.

Last edited by rchase; 12-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Big Randaddy

Robert, you need to ride my Monster S4RS. The build quality (paint,welds, etc.) arn't as slick as my Brutale, but its every bit as strong as my 910R. It's actually somewhat more comfortable than my MV.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode