Need to know which tires to get? Pick up the new "BIKE" UK magazine. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Need to know which tires to get? Pick up the new "BIKE" UK magazine.

They do a test with 3 riders on thier own bikes.

The Ordinary Joe - Which represents most of us. Does a couple thousand miles a year, but no noob. Aggro street rider, and decently fast. He represents the majority of the competent street riders. He had a 1KRR, if I'm not mistaken.

The Novice - Some 125 experiance, some smaller CC streetbike experiances, a couple thousand miles a year, but rides to get more accustomed to riding fast. Not lightning in the twisties, but comfortable. Has a 749.

The Expert - Riding for 15 years. Main mode of transport is a touring bike, or any motorcycle. Does tens of thousands of miles a year. You can't really surprise this guy. Has a Triumph ST.

They did blind back to back tests of thier local twisties of choice of Pilot Race(PR), Pilot Powers(PP), and Pilot Roads(roads). Tested in that order. The riders didn't know what tires were what until after they tested all 3, then got to keep the ones they enjoyed the most. You'll be surprised as to what thier outcomes were.

Consistently, the Pilot Roads came in 2nd place. It had the most predictable profile, and most consistent feel both cruising and pushing it. The grip wasn't an issue either (editors were surprised nobody could really tell the difference). In most cases, it was only distinguishable from the other two because of it's profile.

The "Ordinary Joe" said he couldn't really tell the difference between the PP and the roads, but with the grip and extreme angle of the PRs, he could easily ID the PRs as the race tire. But he picked the PRs as his tires to keep, and the editors agreed this was probably the best choice for him.

The "Novice" said he liked the easily flicking attributes of the PPs, but the PRs were a bit too sketch, but pretty indistinguishable in every other aspect. He said the Roads were almost indistinguishable from the PPs in terms of grip, but the profile was a dead giveaway that it was a different tire. It was more street friendly not being as tall and a bit more predictable as it didn't want to fall over as easy. Although he liked the Roads more, after the test, he took home the PPs. I guess that shows psychologically, you want softer rubber, if nothing more than for the peace of mind.

The "Expert" said that the PRs were just too much. It was too angular, and that it just felt odd to him. It gripped good though. He said the PP and the Roads felt pretty much like the same tire, just different profiles. Prefered the roads over everything though and took those home.

So basically, this article was to dispell the myth about "stickier is better". They did this test on public roads with them using thier own bikes (so there isn't any equipment familiarity issues) as to show, most people can't get the tires up to a temp where the softer tires come out WAAAAAAYYYY ahead. Although, they're somewhat distinguishable, for even aggro street riding, the Roads are more than adequate. But like the Novice picked, sometimes, the softer rubber is just for peace of mind, and some prefer the more aggro profile. but all agreed that the PR's were a better "big track" tire, as in the tights, it was just too much.

Good read. So good infact, I remembered the entire article, lol.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Established Member

No disrespect intended but that sounds like a load of total bs to me and bike magazine are full of it.

Bike magazine

It is very possible that these riders could not tell the difference between pilot powers and pilot roads and if you pootle about on cold greasy UK roads riding as they probably did that's no surprise.
Ride fast twisty mountain roads or a track on the pilot roads and you'll be in for a very big and unpleasent surprise. They are fine until they let go without warning.

The same goes for the pilot power though you really need to be on a track to find their limit.

I've had pilot power rear tyre step out and squirm around under acceleration frequently on the road and actually prefer the Dunlop 208rr as a fast road tyre.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptile
No disrespect intended but that sounds like a load of total bs to me and bike magazine are full of it.

Bike magazine

It is very possible that these riders could not tell the difference between pilot powers and pilot roads and if you pootle about on cold greasy UK roads riding as they probably did that's no surprise.
Ride fast twisty mountain roads or a track on the pilot roads and you'll be in for a very big and unpleasent surprise. They are fine until they let go without warning.

The same goes for the pilot power though you really need to be on a track to find their limit.

I've had pilot power rear tyre step out and squirm around under acceleration frequently on the road and actually prefer the Dunlop 208rr as a fast road tyre.
Ditto...

PP are decent until pushed hard.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:32 AM

New Site Garage
Nate, Good Report, Thanks for sharing that with us.
Sounds like a Pilot promotion report though. I don't know whether magazines promote specific brands. I think it all comes to personnal taste, at the end. You select the tyre that best suits your driving style

Take care.

Kostas

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Well, they said they picked one tire manufacturer who had one brand/series that covered all 3 niches of riding, in this case it happenned to be Michelin. I.E. the Pilot series.

I can't think of any other brand besides Pirelli that has something like that. Diablo Evo, Diablo, and Diablo strada. They did however, also mention what tires that had on thier bikes before the test, but they weren't comparative, just mentioning like "this tire had a profile like the tire I had before this test, a Pirelli EVO."

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode