Earplugs - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Earplugs

Dr. Greg Spalding made a fair comment about the need to wear earplugs. I shall paraphrase his statement--something like if you don't wear them now, you may miss out on hearing the grandkids whisper "thanks for the password to your mvagusta.net forum, grandpa...I was hoping for a ti mid-pipe this xmas but the password is just the best...you're the best grandpa!" ;-)

Ok, let's build a case for earplugs. I don't wear them, but I'm willing to hear out the discussion. Anyone care to chime in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:59 PM
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearpixel
Dr. Greg Spalding made a fair comment about the need to wear earplugs. I shall paraphrase his statement--something like if you don't wear them now, you may miss out on hearing the grandkids whisper "thanks for the password to your mvagusta.net forum, grandpa...I was hoping for a ti mid-pipe this xmas but the password is just the best...you're the best grandpa!" ;-)

Ok, let's build a case for earplugs. I don't wear them, but I'm willing to hear out the discussion. Anyone care to chime in?

i always wear something. sometimes plugs (especially highway), sometimes (well, most of the time now) ear buds for headphones for music.

Sadly, they don't even sell them at motorcycle shops here. They tell you to get them at a drugstore. I got a stash from my UK stint still. These yellow ones from Oxford I think. They are quite good.

My ears feel funny after a stint NOT wearing them. Even with headphones...they don't block out as much noise as the proper earplugs at all. I'm no doctor, but that funny feeling and excessive wind noise can't be good.....

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:21 PM

OK, I din't wear earplugs for the first few years of riding and first couple of years of racing. I now have partial hearing loss in my left ear which will only get worse. I'm thirty five years old

I always wear earplugs now to protect what I have left and because it cuts down on the annoying wind noise and other background. It helps me concentrate on other things going on and makes an overall safer riding experience IMHO. I've never had any problems hearing emergency vehicles or other traffic around me and I dont find them distracting. I wear disposable foam plugs that work out fine and they are cheap.
post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:37 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
I wear hearing protections when ever there is a possibility for hearing damage, on the bike, on the shooting range, even using power tools in enclosed areas... hearing is too important for me, I am a professional classical musician.

I don't know about others, but even if I wasn't using my hearing to earn my living, I still would like to be able to hear clearly for as long as I can...

BTW, my orchestra supply free foam ear plugs for us to use, and if you come to see us in concert, you will notice people who sits close to the brass, wood winds and percussions wear plugs to protect their hearing.

I am curious, what are the reasons that some riders don't wear them?

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by odonata; 11-27-2006 at 11:56 PM.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
The Dude

Quote:
If you think you have grown used to a loud noise, it probably has damaged your ears, and there is no treatment–no medicine, no surgery, not even a hearing aid–that completely restores your hearing once it is damaged by noise.
from....

http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/hea...se_hearing.cfm

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:49 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
from my experience of using all types of hearing protections, including many different types of ear plugs, this is the most effective kind, IMHO...

http://www.tecfen.com/medical/OtoFac/putty.html

they are great because you can form them to your ears and they stick to your outter ears well, just like putty, they worked even better than my specially custom made rubber plugs for shooting because they seal better, especially when it gets sweat.

just be sure to replace them often, ideally before they start to grow hair.

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by odonata; 11-28-2006 at 12:00 AM.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:07 AM

I use them (when I remember) for long distances rides like Phoenix to LA. For shorter distances, like a 10 minute freeway jaunt, I'd rather have the ability to hear tire noise when a car is in my blind spot.

Also, another alternative is getting a helmet with smoother lines and reduce wind noise.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 AM

I wear plugs not b/c of the loudness of the bike but the wind. If you don't lose things like earplugs get some custom made ones. I had mine done at the Long Beach bike show. Another benefit is that you will be less fatigued and enable better concetwation
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 AM
Established Member

i wear them when i remember but having been at rock gigs for the last 30 years means that the damage has already been done.... i said THE DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE!
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 AM

Dearpixel,
I started wearing earplugs shortly after I got back into motorcycling in 2000. I noticed after trips of an hour or more w/o them that my ears would be ringing loudly from the wind noise. I was diagnosed with tinnitus (hearing damage) back in the early 90's when I saw a doctor about constant ringing in my ears. The ringing subsided after a couple of months, but now it's back. I'm 56 now, and I wear earplugs all the time when riding, and even with them in I still think the wind noise is too loud. I have difficulty hearing conversations if there's a lot of background noise, and I often find myself asking people to repeat themselves. If you're not wearing earplugs when you ride, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll have permanent, irreversible hearing loss in a few years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode