New MV Price Negotiation - tips? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

New MV Price Negotiation - tips?

Generally speaking...is there any wiggle/negotiation room on the price of a new MV, assuming an all cash purchase?

Im getting my ducks in order for my next MV and I would be interested to hear how some of you approach the purchase price issue - I'm not much of a negotiator and would enjoy knowing how others here operate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Hi, Manhattan here as well. Not sure if this helps, but in the few hours that I was considering a current model MV, I saw a few 2012 leftovers at Beverly Cycles.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 PM

I would presume that you have a dealer in mind? From my point of view that is more important than an upfront discount, and is worth a lot of $ in the longer term.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Established Member

I am curious....why would you do an all cash deal? Given the low cost of capital for anyone that has a reasonable credit score. If people were giving away free money, would'nt you take it. Keeping the cash affords you the choice, thus options, if you so decide to pay off the loan at a later date. There is no substitute for liquid. Of course this assumes that you have other more effective uses of your cash than what would otherwise be your effective interest rate of a loan. I know there will be some that disagree with me on this subject so I welcome the insight. From a negotiation standpoint, I don't think it makes a bit of difference to the dealership if its cash or not. I think there are some retired/current car dealer members here on the forum so they might have a different perspective on that subject.

My recommendation would be to buy very slightly used MV at this juncture rather than a new. You can always negotiate every deal but buying a slightly used one will be far less expensive for a variety of reasons (regional/national market conditions, supply, etc.). Also, I don't believe there are any substantive or appreciable differences in the new models over previous years.

Whatever you do. Good luck.

Todd

2007 F41000R
2010 Ducati SF
2008 MV Brutale 910 S
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 04:05 PM

I roll my bike into my office at work and keep it in an insured garage at night so I don't need theft insurance. I pay about 180 a year on just the insurance I need. AFAIK the premium would be considerably higher if I didn't own my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddburk View Post
I am curious....why would you do an all cash deal? Given the low cost of capital for anyone that has a reasonable credit score. If people were giving away free money, would'nt you take it. Keeping the cash affords you the choice, thus options, if you so decide to pay off the loan at a later date. There is no substitute for liquid. Of course this assumes that you have other more effective uses of your cash than what would otherwise be your effective interest rate of a loan. I know there will be some that disagree with me on this subject so I welcome the insight. From a negotiation standpoint, I don't think it makes a bit of difference to the dealership if its cash or not. I think there are some retired/current car dealer members here on the forum so they might have a different perspective on that subject.

My recommendation would be to buy very slightly used MV at this juncture rather than a new. You can always negotiate every deal but buying a slightly used one will be far less expensive for a variety of reasons (regional/national market conditions, supply, etc.). Also, I don't believe there are any substantive or appreciable differences in the new models over previous years.

Whatever you do. Good luck.

Todd
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarda View Post
I roll my bike into my office at work and keep it in an insured garage at night so I don't need theft insurance. I pay about 180 a year on just the insurance I need. AFAIK the premium would be considerably higher if I didn't own my bike.
Ok, that is one additional consideration. However, it would have to be meaningful difference to make a tenable justification. Not being thick headed, just trying to understand.

2007 F41000R
2010 Ducati SF
2008 MV Brutale 910 S
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Also consider that if he was getting a loan from a bank or credit union it would still be an all cash sale as far as the dealer is concerned.

2013 MV Agusta F3 Red/Silver (Sonya)
2013 MV Agusta F3 Black Track/Race Only (Trinity)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddburk View Post
I am curious....why would you do an all cash deal?

Simple.....I don't want any debt. I have a 3% mortgage, and I can't wait to pay it off early.

Additionally, I personally believe that you should never finance any type of lifestyle choice. Any motorcycle purchase is a lifestyle choice in my mind.

Education, shelter, and basic transportation qualify for reasonable debt in my opinion, but Rolex, Mercedes, Ritz Carlton, et. all should be paid for in cash.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Thumbs up 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Simple.....I don't want any debt. I have a 3% mortgage, and I can't wait to pay it off early.

Additionally, I personally believe that you should never finance any type of lifestyle choice. Any motorcycle purchase is a lifestyle choice in my mind.

Education, shelter, and basic transportation qualify for reasonable debt in my opinion, but Rolex, Mercedes, Ritz Carlton, et. all should be paid for in cash.
Best advice you'll get anywhere on this planet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
Best advice you'll get anywhere on this planet.

What about: "Life is too short to marry a mean ugly woman, or ride an ugly motorcycle?"

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode