What helmet/sport cameras are everyone using? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
What helmet/sport cameras are everyone using?

Im starting to look at them for a multitude of reasons. One of which is to have evidence when one of these terrible drivers finally collides with me (even in the car).

One thing that would be appealing would be as compact as possible (I dont need a screen on it) but it would be great if I could use my phone as a viewfinder.

It sounds like the Contour camera would be about as close as I can get but would prefer smaller cheaper, don't need quite the top end performance. Wondering if anyone had suggestions.

Figured Id clip to visor in the car and mount behind the windscreen on the bike. Maybe on helmet if light/small enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well.....the racers all use the GoPro.....I think there is a reason for that. They really are good, and there are a bunch of mounting options.

With the optional wireless kit you can use the phone as view finder.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:55 PM

I'll crash as soon as I install one so no go for me.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Im wondering if its that good or just the original though. It just seems so bulky and modular. You have to get he Hero2 for it to work with your phone and then you have to get a second wireless accessory to enable it. That is putting it in the price range of the Contour+2, which has that along with geotagging built in.

I just dont know if anyone has used it. http://contour.com/products/contour-plus-2

As for crashing, Im no Rossi. I want it for forensics if I do have a crash (since there is a good chance it could be someone elses fault in this city).
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well....I have a GoPro myself. Have only used it one time, but was very pleased with the results. The waterproof holder blocks wind noise, so engine sounds are pretty clear.

It isn't all that big, but the shape is not sexy at all. (square). I have a mount on my gas tank just behind the key guard on the F4, but thinking of putting some in other locations. Always thought the helmet mount makes you look like a geek, but may have to try it.

I have a little lipstick camera I got a few years ago...it works OK, but the mounting options are limited and the sound quality sucks, even in the water proof holder.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Established Member

ive got go pros on both my road and track bikes.ive tried the bullet cams by dog sport and k4cam and the go pro beats them hands down.there a little chunky but so easy to use and the picture quality is second to none,thats why all the tv companies ues them.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I use a Contour Roam and love it mainly for it's form (plus I got a great Amazon deal for $99 shipped when it first came out). The GoPro was just too bulky/boxy for my tastes even though my untrained eye thinks the GoPro footy looks slightly better (but only when seen right next to the other). The new Contour+2 looks to be the shizzle and I'd love to add one eventually.

I feel that they are all similar in what they do; pick the price/spec that works best for you. Also, all my buds use Contour so it is easy to always have a spare mount available.

The new Sony ActionCam looks promising... http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...161&XID=M:sgnl

HTH

** DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY ** There is no way to happiness; happiness is the way **

B4 1078RR
996 X50
958.2 GTS
FZJ80
1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM

While I haven't tried the Go Pro, I am very happy with my contour + - both do pretty much the same job now but the contour's profile is much better and build quality is excellent. Used it on the bike and up volcanoes - yet to try in water environment. The contour +2 came out just after I got the + but hey it's the footage you're really after and the GPS would just drain the battery more.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

GoPro H2 here with LCD back......

"see Officer, the idiot cut me off, causing an accident"

plays back in the waterproof case, no cords, WiFi, nada

powers off the H2....piggy back plugin

too easy

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltesV View Post
The new Sony ActionCam looks promising... http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...161&XID=M:sgnl

HTH
A pedal friend recommended this one. It looks to tick all of the right boxes. A sleeker shape for helmet mounting if I go that route, integrated Wifi to play, setup and share using my phone. All for about $270 vs nearly $400 for the Contour.

I think I might pull the trigger on this one and give it a shot. Get the suction cup mount for the car and probably adhesive on the bike (or helmet). Maybe experiment with the cup mount for the bike provided I can get a tether going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode