ducati owner perception of mv - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

ducati owner perception of mv

during a ride last sunday a guy in my social circle was really impressed where MV has gone with their bikes . he claims to have owned one in his life but has a bunch of ducatis now . he said he wouldnt buy an MV now though because it still is a inline 4 . he needs the feeling the ducs twin gives him . in my few hundered miles of owning a 1000r , about the only things my MV has in common with the other in line 4's ive owned , is that the brake was on the right handle bar an the wheels are stacked one in front of the other . the power delivery ... torque curve ..the intake noise , an very aggressive , i will throw u on the groud if u dont respect me throttle resonce , this bike has nothing in common with any inline 4 ive ever riden . if i knew even less about MV then i did when i bought it , an new nothing about what motor was in it , i would be stunned to hear it was a inline 4 . just clarifying for the record
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:00 PM

I think a person who's really biased towards twins won't really be able to appreciate the MV (especially if they're comparing a 99X with a 750 MV). Also, some Ducati owners take the quirks of the Ducati and call it soul. I'm referring the the clacky, clack, clack of the dry clutch - which sounds broken to me. Fours are twins are just different types of animals.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

yeah i hear u . but my R doesnt feel like a inline 4 either its in limbo for a good definition of what it is
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Established Member

I was really apprehensive about the inline 4 as well. I have owned at least 6 different modern Ducatis in the last 8 years.

In fact I went last year to purchase a Brutale I ended up with a Black 999S, mostly b/c I couldn't stray away from the pure visceral urge of the V-twin and Ducati experience. I really don't regret it, the "R" was not yet available and I really do like my 999S. I ended up just making an offer on the "R" this year mostly b/c of the things it offered, wheels, paint scheme etc and it has turned out to be the most enjoyable motorcycle I own.

I do love the v-twin sound and torque, but the MV 4 is much different than the Japanese inline engines of todays bikes. The full exhaust and the way the bike revs complete the package, kind of like a V-8 Ferrari compared to that of a Chevy.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:01 PM
FSL

Cool

Personally I love ducati's got 06 999s and its true the felling of twin and dry clutch is very sublime and unique and I will not trade Duc for F4R you got to have them both.

Having said that the I always say you got have both in line 4 and v twin right now I got 1000RR for in line 4 which is for sale now and soon to be replaced by 07 R.

When I saw my buddies F4S in red/silver I thought you got to have that bike but when I saw F4 R in black on Fort Worth bike show man that's just pure sex on wheels.

Next day I went to dealer and got approved could pick up on Wednesday but couldnot break the news to my wife since I picked up 999S three months back. Friday Saturday gonna be fun days . Ok Its time for Turkey.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:07 PM

Apples to oranges when comparing a twin to an I4. I have owned two I4 bikes prior to my Duc. As much as I love the Duc's low end grunt and massive torque, I find myself yearning to top out at 13-14.5K of rpms. There is something about being able to rev high and still be in the power band that I find intoxicating. Hopefully there is an F4 R in my future that will quench this lust for high rpms.

My point to all this rambling is you cannot compare the two...apples and oranges. Both engine configs have their strengths and there is no happy median between the two to compare.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logos1111
yeah i hear u . but my R doesnt feel like a inline 4 either its in limbo for a good definition of what it is
That's because the F4 is one of a kind.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Yeah I have a bunch of good mates that are just Ducati through and through. They love the whole noisy, clattering they call soul. It took me while to get to grips with it, but know when I ride the Dukes they feel old and tired and noisy, and hit a wall up top.They both have merits it's just what you like. Personally I like the refined nature of the MV, it has great mid range and awesome top end, so best of both worlds. You just don't get the same noises, but they have plenty of soul.
My mates are starting to come round and I think the R will sway some. Funny the 1098 hasn't turned them on. They have 996sp's and can't see a reason to change...just yet. If I get another Duke I will have both, problem solved.

MVA Sydney
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 10:11 PM

I would have to agree with the above comments related to no comparison. I own one of each and like them for totally different reasons. They are both Italian and that is about the only similarity. What is cool is they offer different flavors to enjoy.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 11:18 PM

Performance: Both can get the job done though in different ways.

Reliability: My MV's been WAAAAY more reliable than any Ducati I've owned.

Fit and finish: MV far ahead in perceived quality as well.

Riding Impressions: Maybe I've ridden them for too long but the Ducati motor just feels antiquated. Twins are easier to ride so that may be important to a relative rookie but for an experienced rider, the MV is more satisfying and more fun to boot. IMO.

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode