Value of used parts? Advice?.. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Value of used parts? Advice?..

I have been perusing this forum for many weeks now and continue to lust for an F4, although I am starting to also think about a Brutale instead. Either way, that's not the point. Rather, I wanted to get some insight from the excellent resources here on the question of values. When looking at a particular used bike for sale, one with lots of aftermarket parts and accessories, what makes sense in terms of putting a value on those extra partst?

For the bike itself one can always turn to a resource like KBB. However, for the extras, this is where it can get particularly frustrating. Some will argue that no value should be added for such aftermarket parts or extras. Within reason, that may be a defensible position for more run-of-the-mill marques, but that surely isn't appropriate for a unique marque such as this. However, what is reasonable for valuation? Two thirds of retail value? Half? Only a quarter?

I know there are some that will say if you want that bike then just pay what you need to to get it. But, nobody wants to get burned on a subsequent resale (or insurance claim for that matter, although perhaps that's different). So, if a bike has, say, $5k in retail costs for upgrades, what is a reasonable price to offer over KBB value for the bike itself?

In the end, it will always boil down to how badly one wants a particular bike and how badly the seller wants or needs to sell. But it is always a good thing to at least have some sound logic and reasons behind an offer when first going in. Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Unlike Harley's where aftermarket chrome is worth nothing, some after market parts for the MV are worth a lot.

Anything titanium is worth around 70% of new.
Carbon fiber is worth 50% of new.
Power commanders, water pump upgrades, muzzy fans, bar end mirrors, etc. are worth nothing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM

I think it depends on if it is a part you would want on the bike anyway. I mean, if you would buy that exhaust (for instance) even if you bought another bike then I would say at least half, maybe two-thirds of the new selling price. But if it's some aftermarket mirrors you think you might want to replace someday anyway then no extra value.

Of course, some people get most of their joy of ownership out of 'building' the bike. If this is you and you don't mind losing money then buy a stock bike and buy aftermarket stuff new. I'd rather let the previous owner take the monetary loss and have the bother of doing the wrenching. Of course, most everyone is going to change some stuff but at least you can avoid some of the obvious big ticket expenses (like exhaust).
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

CAG and Oldbutspry, many thanks for your input! It is greatly appreciated and will help me sort out what to offer on an F4 I'm looking at.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM

For me stock is more desirable than bling.. But if a bike has had Brembo monobloc brakes fitted a Mitchy Hub and a magnesium swing arm and side plates and an Ohlinns shock Titanium exhaust system and Magnesium wheels that would up the ante in my book...although I wouldn't be offering over book value for stock...I'd need to be asked...

Last edited by gotojoe; 09-17-2012 at 10:46 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitano View Post
CAG and Oldbutspry, many thanks for your input! It is greatly appreciated and will help me sort out what to offer on an F4 I'm looking at.

"Think of a ridiculously low price. Then halve it."

Burt Munro..." The worlds fastest Indian"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
KBB doesn't list MV Agustas do they??? I have never seen used values in any motorcycle price guides for MVs. Their reason was "insufficient sales market data", a result of the very small numbers ever sold in the US.

Guess I should go look again.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Established Member

Its pretty subjective however if you want to know market value you could list the year, the mileage, etc and all the aftermarket items and there are a number of folks here that could give you a good idea a of what price might be fair. Just a suggestion.

2007 F41000R
2010 Ducati SF
2008 MV Brutale 910 S
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 PM

New Site Garage
I sold a bike at close to the total of blue book value for the bike plus installed parts at 33% of retail.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I agree, this sounds fair. Since toddburk suggested it, should any of you care to offer a value for this bike I'm looking at, here are the details:

2003 MV Agusta F4S
Almost 6k miles on the odometer

Accessories on/with the bike include:
Arrow Ti headers and midpipes
Silmoto/Ferracci carbon fiber mufflers
3M protective fairing film
Integrated LED tail lights
Power commander
Lots of carbon fiber, including:
Front fender
Read fender (hugger)
Ignition guard
Foot peg guards
Chain guards
Exhaust shields
Full fairing covers
Radiator deflector
Air intakes
Factory stand
Triple clamp multipin wrench
Chain adjustment spanner
Axle socket

Many thanks for your input. This group is clearly a special crowd and I've learned a heck of a lot from the forum in the past month. I hope to very soon officially become an owner. Then, I'll be able to stop living vicariously through you all (and have to get my hands dirty with some riding and wrenching!).

Cheers,
Gitano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode