Shoul I upgrade my F4 1078 to a 2010 F4R? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Shoul I upgrade my F4 1078 to a 2010 F4R?

My F4 1078 is reaching fast the 30.000 kms in 2 years and Iīve been using it in all ways - travelling, Track Days - without a single problem.
Iīve received a very nice deal to trade my bike for a used 2010 low mile F4R. Considering Iīm planning to make more 10.000 kms in the next year should I accept the deal and discover a "new" MV?
It woul be nice to hear the pros an cons from people that made the move before. Itīs curious but I still prefer the look and finishing of the older F4 but again considering the use and deal I think itīs time to move...for a probably "better" bike with 1.000 kms!

Last edited by ARAMIS; 09-16-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Ask Noel.

Pants up, don't loot.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Big Randaddy

Is the new bike really "better"?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Im with mvart. Unless its an RR dont do it. Also if u have the option of having both then sure why not. But replacing it. NO WAY! Stick with your rare 1078. Just my honest opinion

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Spartukus Send a message via Skype™ to Spartukus
the 2010+ F4 is a much easier bike to ride.
I do love the 1078 though.
I would not give up the 1078.

Don't make excuses, Make it happen

05 F4
07 SENNA (261/300)
13 F3

04 Ducati 749s (Track Project)
06 CBR600RR (Track Project II)
08 Aprilia RSV (Rest In Pieces)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM

I wish people giving advice here would substantiate their opinions!

Asides from the looks which are PURELY subjective and personal, I feel I can give a rather objective comparison as I have owned a 2007 F4 1000R, currently own a 2010 F4 1000 and I have extensively ridden both 2012 versions of the F4. Almost all of it was on the track.

The older generation F4 only have one possible advantage and it is disputable whether it is an advantage - I guess it depends on the rider.
The older bikes have a lighter crank shaft which makes the engine a little more responsive. This at the same time can be seen as a negative as it is a contributing factor to the abruptness a lot of people have complained about in the past.

Everything else, the newer generation F4 is a better bike in every way. Better driveability and more predictable engine response, more top end power and better fueling make the engine better all around.
20 lbs less weight and more modern chassis geometry give the new bike a nimble yet planted feel with exceptional front end feedback and great predictability. The newer bikes suspension (all 2010+ versions) is much more compliant. The old bike is a heavy, sluggish beast comparatively. The new bikes (2012 +) have 8 level traction control that works beautifully.

The 2010 has less hp at 186 vs 195 and 201 for the 2012 models, but with the longer stroke engine, the power delivery is a bit more linear than on the 2012s. The top end rush of the 2012 (i.e. when the velocity stacks change from long to short) is simply mind blowing but you better be ready for it because once it hits, it goes to the rev limiter really quickly. I dare say that even the mighty BMW would have a hard time keeping up.

The 2012 RR has the Ohlins package which you just cannot beat. The 6 additional hp are more academic than anything else because you get to the additional ponies by reving the engine to well over 13k, something you will only be able to do on a track - maybe.
Money no option, buy the 2012 RR, if you have to watch your pennies get a 2012 R for about $6000 less (after tax) or a 2010 for even less. They are all incredible machines.

Strictly from a technological, ride quality, performance, and particularly handling standpoint, I would never go back to an older generation pre-2010 F4.
Plus I find the new bikes look every bit as good or better than the older ones.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 AM

New Site Garage
No

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
I'd calculate the cash difference in the deal and look at the option of using that money to tastefully upgrade your current bike (as an option, you may not have considered).

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
I wish people giving advice here would substantiate their opinions!

I find the new bikes look every bit as good or better than the older ones.
You can't have it both ways Balz.......opinions are just that......opinions. You can't substantiate your personal opinion on looks. No one can.

As for which bike is "better" technically, I don't think many would disagree with you, but to many, that's not the point.

Look at the Ferrari 246 Dino versus its replacement, various versions of the 308. In every statistical way, the 308 is better than the 246, but really, which one would you prefer to own?

The market values the Dino at up to 10 times the value of the 308.

My point here, is that history will value the first generations of the F4 (750 thru 312) with a much kinder review than the current second generation F4.......performance inequality aside.

And yes.....I can't substantiate this......it's just my opinion.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 AM

New Site Garage
Hhhmmm

I agree with both Balz and Randy, if that's possible.

Randy, the older F4 will always be special to me and I do think it looks better than the new model, not because the new model is ugly, but because I don't think it is quite as unique when it came out as the older F4's were when they came about.
And that is the problem, I think, with some of the "older" owners on here, a lot of sentimental value in the thought process. (Nothing wrong with that though)

As for performance, Balz is right there, I would not mind plodding around on a new "RR", and I think the new F4R will improve even more as time goes by, right now I just think the F3 looks that bit more unique.

On the other hand, I feel most of us (not all unfortunately) are here because we love MV the brand and would love to see it succeed well into the future.
Therefore I think it's a good thing to encourage people to buy the new bikes, and not just constantly tell them how crap they are etc.....even if we don't always love everything about the new bikes, life moves on and I feel you either support the brand or go somewhere else.

We all know if you sell bikes things mostly keep going, and if everybody just keep buying the older bikes then the company will grind to a stop, and not only that, we will run out of spares for our old bikes too.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in