Another helmet rant, sorry not for the squeamish - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Another helmet rant, sorry not for the squeamish

I was looking through my latest MCN and read an artical about helmets and in it it tells about in England where if you belong to religious sect from India you can wear a turban instead. LOL!
We have all heard this before but there are new riders coming up behind us everyday so one more time just for them.
#1 Wear a good well fitting full face helmet every time you ride a motorcycle.
You will fall, not if but when is the only question.
Take a watermellon and hold it up chest high and drop it. Chances are it will split and have noticeable damage. Take another and toss it down to the ground and imagin it being your head. At this point your mellon is looking rather badly, split open with the insides gushing out.
Chances are this will be your head someday if you choose to ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet.
OK, so you decide to wear a helmet that does not offer full face protection.
Take a look in the mirror and imagine you no longer have a lower jaw. Yeah, your lower jaw is gone just like that. Your upper front teeth are there, sort of, just hanging down with your tongue flopping around and maybe even your nose is gone too ground off flush with your forehead.
Every time I see a Harley rider wearing one of those bottle cap helmets I see them looking like this someday. Handsome young men and women transformed instantly into horrific monsters like those make believe zoombies seen in the movies. This is no movie though and it is you, your face and you are alive screaming in pain. Talk about screaming, what do you think you will be doing when you get a look at the new you?
Maybe you will not come out all that bad and I am just exaggerating.
But with your head split open and your brains hanging out like the insides of that watermellon you may not care all that much. Your still alive and with all the modern miracle medicine available you will be saved, but saved for what? You will have the rest of your life to enjoy crapping and pissing your pants while you sit in a wheel chair drooling on your shirt.
The nurses come every morning and clean you up and put clean cloths on you, change your bed with clean rubber sheets. They spoon feed you goo that tastes like your own crap looks like that you have been laying in half the night.
Roll the dice long enough and you will get snake eyes, you will. You will fall if you ride a motorcycle. Sure there have been people that have tossed the dice one time and got snake eyes and sure there are people who have taken a motorcycle out for the very first time and crashed. New riders chances of crashing are about 100%.
Oh, it is your choice, your decision, your freedom to be you and look cool for the ladies and your friends. Your hot and you want everyone to see how cool you are as you ride along at 80 miles per hour with your hair blowing and your James Dean sun glasses hiding your glancing eyes checking out the babe in the next car traveling along with you.
The truck up ahead slams his breaks on and you slam your face into the back of the solid steel frame of the trailer.
That sexy young thing is trying to help you as you realize your down on the ground but that sexy young girl is throwing her guts up. Others gather around and tell you that help is on the way. The girl is gone now and as you raise your hands to your face it is starting to dawn on you that your face is gone too. Smashed to a bloody pulp as someone holds your hands back from exploring what is left. Now the pain comes as the numbness leaves. Pain like no pain you have ever felt before, your whole face is on fire deep into every space in your head. You can't say anything but can only make noises as you choke on your own blood. Now the screaming starts.
I met a man named Bob, I called him Bad Bob, while visiting my mother in a nursing home. Bad Bob was a motorcycle rider that chose not to wear a helmet. Bob sits in a wheel chair now and ever since his accident when he hit a car with his head. The scars on his head don't tell the whole story though, Bob's vocabulary does. About all he can get out is "I love you" and "phew" as the crap and stench leaks out of his ass.
Bad Bob could have walked away from his encounter with the car if he had been wearing a helmet but Bob chose not to. He has spent his youth and the remainder of his miserable life in a wheelchair just as I described above. Bob maybe dead by now but maybe not as it has been ten years since I have seen him. He was about maybe 45 to 50 when I met him then but there is no way for me to really tell. I am not really sure if Bob even knows or cares about what happened to him but one thing is for sure it was a life changer and permanent.
I am sorry to bring this subject up again but the trial is long over and the jury has delivered it's verdict. Wear a helmet, a full face helmet every time you throw your leg over a motorcycle. Insist your passenger also wears a full face helmet as well, no exceptions!
If you choose to not wear a helmet you have made one of the dumbest decisions of your life. Wearing a bottle cap helmet is just as bad as no helmet but only spits in the face of history and all those like Bob that went before you. If you still decide to take your chances maybe Bob will be saving a seat for you, one with wheels on it.

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Should be required reading at motorcycle licensing.

Pants up, don't loot.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:47 PM

I agree. Great post Sagerider.

I stopped riding with a group of guys because most of them don't wear a helmet. I don't want to see what their brains look like.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Wow..what a sobering, but true post. I agree totally...and while this is all about a 'Helmet'...not wearing gloves, leathers..etc and dropping it is also stomach churning. Well said 'Sage-man!
I remember being on holiday on one of those Greek Islands and seeing a guy on a hired GSXR 750 wearing only shorts..a T shirt..and on his feet, a pair of 'flip flop's!!. No helmet..gloves ..nothing. If you'd asked him ..he'd a said.. ''it's too warm''.
He came through the 'resort' and 'gunned it' in a bend on one of those 'polished road surfaces'. He NEARLY dropped it...but that image is always with me.
Out on the open road...at speed..the consequences are unthinkable...and even if your'e not killed..it'll be 'ugly'.
Brian
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:00 PM

I always wear a helmet but I feel I still have to respect the choices of people who decide to ride without one. It's their life and they should do as they please. Plenty of people think ever getting on a motorcycle is the real mistake. It's just different thresholds of danger.

And yes, I have been a casualty officer for someone killed because he wasn't wearing a helmet (went off the road and hit a tree on a Busa). It's a little sad but death is a fact of life.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Wow,what a thread,scary but so true.When I used to ride with a regular group,mates and their wives.Whenever we pulled up for a rest if there was a young gun on his GSXR with his girlfriend just wearing a singlet top,one of the women in our group would walk over to her,tap her on the shoulder and say,"darling you have beautiful skin but if you hit the road wearing that top you will be scared for life",my friend just couldn't help herself to say that.Great thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Some good information from the Hurt Report

This is from the Hurt Report that investigated causal factors in motorcycle accidents, great stuff to think about.

http://www.magpie.com/nycmoto/hurt.html

Check out bullets 50, 51 and 52 area. Helmets are cool!

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!

Last edited by Sagerider; 09-13-2012 at 03:42 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:32 PM

The opinion is perfect, but this religious sect must not have discovered motorcycles yet as I haven't heard of any cases related to them.
May be they are sensible and have decided that a helmet is safer than a turban?

Dan

The power one person holds is not determined by the individual but by the audience who recieves them.

Current stable:
MV Agusta F4 750 Senna 106/300
Triumph Street Triple
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Sagerider;
look at #40....

California Highway Patrol motor officers wear open face helmets, gloves, short sleeved shirts, bullet proof vests, pants and knee high boots

me, a Bell Star, gloves, MV jacket, boots and nylon shorts...

i'm aggressive enough a rider without a form fitting body bag

the shorts are an ever present reminder for me to keep a lid on it

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Sagerider;
look at #40....

California Highway Patrol motor officers wear open face helmets, gloves, short sleeved shirts, bullet proof vests, pants and knee high boots

me, a Bell Star, gloves, MV jacket, boots and nylon shorts...

i'm aggressive enough a rider without a form fitting body bag

the shorts are an ever present reminder for me to keep a lid on it
Nylon shorts?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode