Tires - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Tires

I want to talk tires.

Technology marches forward, progress is continual but when you're involved with a particular activity daily you don't always realize the magnitude of change.

I quit road racing in 2003 due to significant injuries sustained in a crash. At that time I was racing with WMRRA and OMRRA in the northwest. The tires used by everyone were either Dunlop or Michelin. For my Supersport bikes, we ran Dunlop DOT tires (207 or 208GP's). In that climate I felt the Dunlops were less sensitive to cold track temp and gave more warning before breaking away than the Michelins. The 207GP was miles ahead of the tires we used a few years earlier and the 208 pushed it up another notch. Pirelli were just coming back onto the road racing scene.

I didn't ride at all for year, then after relocating to Phoenix tried the cruiser experience. Couldn't stay with it, couldn't stand to ride a poor handling bike with inferior brakes. So, I went for a sport tourer and really enjoyed riding all day long. The tires were Metzeler Roadtec Z6. Not exactly sticky but fairly good grip with astonishing longevity.

Now, I'll try to get to the point. My Brutale R is equipped with Pirelli Super Corsa Pro tires. I have about 1,500 miles on it. I take a weekly ride up to Canyon Lake, as I'm gaining familiarity with the road I'm also pushing the bike a little harder. These tires are far superior to anything I raced on 3 or 4 years ago and they seem to be holding up well. I need a track day to really evaluate, but the grip level is so high that I don't think I'm anywhere near the limit even though I'm tossing the bike into turns harder than I've ever done on the street. Dunlop GP's would have been shredded by now.

I'm sure some of you will be thinking "DUH...we knew that". But coming from experience with what was the best a few years ago to what's commonplace now is incredible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:19 PM

New Site Garage
Gotta agree with you. I went from 207RR's to Diablo Corsa's to Super Corsa Pro's (SC1 front and SC2 rear) and each change was as different as night and day. My F4 came with 207RR's originally in 2004 and I did a couple of track days on them at the time but never really felt comfortable. Having no race experience like you I was unable to understand what was really happening with the bike....at least until I switched to the Diablo Corsas in 2005 following a low side at Donnington Park on the Dunlops As soon as I did my first track day on the Corsas from the very first session I finally understood what all the other guys on this site have been talking about when they say that the bike communicates to them through the clipons. I was finally able to FEEL what the front end was doing and FEEL how much grip was available which is something that the 207RR's could not do. In fact I'm not exaggurating by saying that the 207RR's were more like two wooden planks than rubber! Then when I stopped riding the bike on the roads and turned it into a track bike only I made the switch to Super Corsa Pro's and f__k me I ain't looked back since!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:02 PM

You want a bigger shock, try the michelin pilot power street! Not the race, but the street. Amazing feel from a street tire!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP
You want a bigger shock, try the michelin pilot power street! Not the race, but the street. Amazing feel from a street tire!
+1 Rob I'm a big Pilot Power fan, but I have to say the 208RR's my 1000S came shod with have not been bad either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:09 PM

I am real sensitive to the feel and grip at race speeds..thats why I only use Cheng Shin tires..they are best.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:11 PM

Excellent observation, Koop. It has taken me a while to really appreciate how far tires have come recently and how fast they are still improving. I like the Pilot Powers on my street bikes and run the Pirelli Diablo Superbike slicks on the track. I haven't really reached the capabilities of the Pirellis yet (while fresh and warm, of course) because I want to get there gradually. The nicest thing is that they give me gentle hints when they are starting to go away. Ten years ago my race tires would just disappear all of a sudden. The Michelin street tires are equally amazing. I did three hard track days a while back on a set of DOT tires and pushed them HARD without so much as a whimper. Incredible.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:17 PM

New Site Garage
Hmmmm...there might be something to this Michelin thing....quite a lot of our members have raved about them. I might just try them out next season (although may probably opt for the more track orientated version).
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:21 PM

I can do exactly the same thing around exactly the sane corner on my supercorsa shod 1000R as I used to do on my Michelin Power shod 1000S, and the 1000R hangs it's tail out, nothing serious, more of the rubber walking than sliding, but the Michelins never did that, apparantly Super corsa's in SC ratings are a different animal altogether

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore
Excellent observation, Koop. It has taken me a while to really appreciate how far tires have come recently and how fast they are still improving. I like the Pilot Powers on my street bikes and run the Pirelli Diablo Superbike slicks on the track. I haven't really reached the capabilities of the Pirellis yet (while fresh and warm, of course) because I want to get there gradually. The nicest thing is that they give me gentle hints when they are starting to go away. Ten years ago my race tires would just disappear all of a sudden. The Michelin street tires are equally amazing. I did three hard track days a while back on a set of DOT tires and pushed them HARD without so much as a whimper. Incredible.

Thanks Chris, you understand what I was trying to say. The performance leap is astounding, you only have to get away from sport bikes for a couple of years to really see it.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:34 PM

Blackwall tires blend into da pavement....whata you need isa white wall tires...they say "Look at me, here I am..luv me"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode