Alarm - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Alarm

Hey Guys!

Well, I just ordered the Brutale 910R yesterday and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival this April. Have a question for all of you. Since this is the first bike that I've owned that is up there in price and that's extremely limited would it be a wise choice to purchase an alarm? My last bike was an 02 Triumph Speed Triple and I really never worried about anything (As far as it being stolen) with that bike.
I don't plan on leaving it out of sight for long periods and it will be locked in my garage but it's a thought that's crossing my mind. I know that the Gladio kit comes with an alarm so does that mean you can purchase an alarm through MV?

Appreciate all of your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 10:31 AM

The alarm kit that comes with the Gladio kit has MV all over it. So either they make it or distribute it as theirs. I still have mine in a box, haven't decided if I'm going to install it yet or not.

LoJack is now available for bikes. Not sure in our area, but they are installing them in Chicago area.

Jack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Smile

As I mentioned on another thread, alarms here in the UK are pretty much a mandatory requirement on a high value bike like MV's. I don't know if they are marketed worldwide, but the Datatool and Meta alarms systems are pretty good. Datatool have just come out with their Mark IV alarm which I'm having fitted to my new bike. I think it would be wise to contact your insurer and ask them if they offer a discount for fitting a certain type or brand of alarm system. Depending on your age, locale etc. you can sometimes save the cost of the alarm itself by having an insurer approved system fitted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Never thought of contacting my insurance agent. Don't know if it will make a difference but it's worth a try. Might just have an alarm installed for piece of mind. Will continue to look into and think about.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
i'll probably put...

this thing on my mv.

http://www.phantomtracking.com

it's a gps/gsm system, with a zigbee pager. basically, if someone f's with your ride, you'll know.

bad part is that there is a monthly fee, on top of the hardware. also, if someone where to load the bike into a van, it might be hard for the gps to get a signal to give the position.

alex
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Alex. I'm going to look into that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
how do alarms on bikes work? what triggers it? can it chirp on and off with the remote?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 01:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
how do alarms on bikes work? what triggers it? can it chirp on and off with the remote?
from what i can tell, the basic motorcycle alarm is a motion sensor. if the bike moves, an alarm is triggered, and everyone in the neighborhood wants to stomp that bike into little itty bitty pieces.

which is pretty much how a car alarm works.

but the tracking systems seem to be different. lojack uses a transmitter to broadcast the vehicle location (note: cops have to have a lojack receiver), whereas the "phantom tracker" ties into the gsm system to send its gps coordinates.

personally, i like the gps/gsm solution more.

but if you guys want more info, i'll try to get it. i'll ask about triggering, and chirps, and when the system activates, and so on.

give me a few days to get something back to the forum...

alex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode